Author Topic: 2014 Vstrom 1000 Electrical Connectors - Waterproofing  (Read 25652 times)

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
Re: 2014 Vstrom 1000 Electrical Connectors - Waterproofing
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2015, 18:51:09 »
You get the feeling that most of the development has gone into everything but the electrical systems! An enclosed electrical connector is going to keep the dirt, water and mud out for sure. I've had no further issues since sleeving the electrical connectors.

Offline Lifebiker

• Bike: BMW R1150RT
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2015, 21:26:35 »
My next job I think.  :old:

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2015, 21:57:02 »
Well worth doing, and it's not too hard a job :thumb:

Offline Kimbles

• Bike: 2014 Vstrom 1000 in red
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 17:13:36 »
Managed to get mine all greased and inner tubes over the connectors today had it just over 12months ridden rain or shine and connectors were OK after acf50'ing every time I washed the bike.

This should hopefully keep the electrics in good condition though and less to worry about.

Thanks Roadrocket for your threads they helped me immensely  :thumb:

Kim

Offline Pedro41

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2015, 19:04:05 »
Its maybe me being cynical, but why are some choosing to 'fix' Suzuki's bikes for them?

They've been building em since 1952!  Car buyers would not put up with this situation -why do we?

By 'having a go' at the fault, you are accepting responsibility for its quality.

Should there now be a UK recall, fire or chafing in that area, you may have affected the liability of Suzuki.

That could complicate any insurance claim or warranty claim- just my opinion.(see below)

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhall/zafira/93176/vauxhall-zafira-fires-cause-of-recall-confirmed-as-dangerous-repairs

The vauxhalls affected were made as far back as 2009- but the manufacturer has taken responsibility here.

Offline Hondaman

• Bike: 650 L3
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2015, 20:19:21 »
It's a sad fact of life that many modern vehicles have inherent problems or glitches from manufacture, some get repaired or cured with recall or TSBs, others get pushed to one side.

While this issue is annoying, and wouldn't happen in an ideal world, at least this is a relatively simple diy fix - as long as you know about it!

It does seem strange that most fuss of the exposed connectors is being made by the 1k owners when the 650 has pretty much the same poor layout.

IMHO, it's worth sorting diy as the rest of the bike is so good & allround great value (650, can't speak for the 1k).
Lets face it, we could chop them in for a 'quality' product like a BMW gs......

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2015, 20:25:18 »
Few months ago I removed the tank and solved the wiring problem below it but was too lazy to go ahead and insulate the connectors at the front. Now I'd really like to do it but don't feel like removing the tank again, plus removing the air box. I've heard it's possible to do it from the front, just by removing top bolts on the radiator and moving the radiator away without disconnecting anything.
Is it? Has anyone done it that way?
Thanks
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline arran66

• Bike: DL1000 2015
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2015, 20:34:17 »
Pedro 41

Hi there yes you do have a really good point but in my case I figure that I haven't tampered or spliced into the wiring loom

But simply covered conections and I can only speak for myself but my dealers is quite a way to travel

and to be frank with you its the too and fro to dealers and back and all the inconvenience

Just for them to plug it in to dianostic to find no fault codes it's intermittent the worst fault to diagnose

I use the bike daily for work so this would be a right pain for me so I'd rather just do this simple fix just for now

If it works it works if not I'll be taking the two inner tubes off the wiring loom and take it too dealers from there

And the same thing if there's a recall I'll strip the bike down and undo what I've done the dealer won't know any different

So it shouldn't interfere with any warranty claim but I do see your point and it's very valid good post

But for me it's more about convenience than anything else

Offline Pedro41

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 21:08:16 »
arran66

I think there is a grey area between say changing the crappy connector blocks for better designed ones, which is way beyond most of us and zip tying some inner tube around a badly routed wire.I agree preventative maintenance such as a dose of wax-oil or ACF50 have their place. And yes, there are less dealers than there used to be-who all tend to 'wait and see' what the 'big S' has to say, rather than taking ownership of the problem!

I'm just surprised that Suzuki has already issued a recall in OZ for this same issue. Which lets face it is pretty dry place-compared to the UK (ahem). It must be odds on to do the same for other countries? The bikes all come off the same production line- don't they?

Offline arran66

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 21:20:59 »
Bosnjo

I tried that the radiater route lol  there's not enough room and not enough play in wiring to do the job properly plus there's a plastic cover

Plus it's takes just as long to get too the radiator by the time you've gone that you may aswell go in from the top

The only and best way is from the top just get a long Allen key or a long thin strewdriver Allen key type fitting for the front air box connection

It's easy then and make sure the air box is seated and fitted correctly apart from that it's easy 

Offline ziggy

• Bike: DL1000 L4, Vespa 300 GTV
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2015, 06:51:21 »
arran 66 If you have the plastic shield above the radiator I would think there is no need to carry out any waterproofing work. Although every little helps.

Do it today as there may not be a tomorrow.

Live in Rothley, Leicestershire.

Offline arran66

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2015, 19:32:10 »
The shield is the bottom of the air box where plugs are located there's still a gap but it's nowhere big enough for you to get hand in to wrap connectors yes water does get in waterproofing a must in my opinion well since I've done it no more problems so I guess it needed it

Offline Roadrocket

• Live to ride, ride to live
  • Bike: Suzuki DL1000AL4ABS + DL650K5
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2015, 19:41:10 »
Its maybe me being cynical, but why are some choosing to 'fix' Suzuki's bikes for them?

I like to know the weaknesses of a bike so I can eliminate them. I'd rather "upgrade or modify" to improve reliability as we ride all weathers and big miles, prevention is better than cure ,especially when riding  an Alpine Mountain pass in a thunderstorm like we did here!:

Offline Lifebiker

« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2015, 15:21:30 »
I followed Roadrockets lead and did my connectors yesterday, not a hard job but I use to be an aircraft technician and still have my tools and loads of heat shrink and rubber bits etc. I did the three big connectors on the right and 3 small ones that are exposed near the top of the rad (I forgot to take pics.....doh) the others on the left will be revisited soon.

What surprised me was the amount of muck that is in frame space! when I revisit the area I am going to attempt to put a rubber shield in/around the air box area.

I will take pics next time.  :old:

Offline PeterB

• Bike: DL1000 2014 & MT125
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2015, 17:14:49 »
Hi
Did a long run back from North Wales in driving rain and sleet only to have my main loom (white plug) burn out almost completely and shorted the ignition to the point I took the key out and the bike was still running perfectly and unable to switch off, took 3 weeks to rectify at the dealers being one of the first they had heard about giving this problem. I will definitely be carrying out the waterproofing mod ie with bicycle inner tube etc to prevent further problems

Offline Lifebiker

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2015, 20:28:45 »
Hi PeterB are you the bloke I spoke to at the Steel Horse pub Near Abergavveny about 3 months ago?

Offline PeterB

• Bike: DL1000 2014 & MT125
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2015, 21:07:50 »
yes that's me indeed, got my ECU changed also :lala:

Offline ajs500

• Bike: AL4
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2016, 09:24:05 »
My bike is due to go to the dealers next week for the ECU replacement and I was hoping to deal with the waterproofing issue at the same time. Dealer says that the rubber boot has NOT been suppied by Suzuki. Has anybody actually had this boot fitted or know the part number? ta.

Offline Lifebiker

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2016, 12:23:09 »
I have had a new ECU and had the throttle bodies replaced and whilst the bike was stripped down my dealer did not fit any water proof boots because they did not receive any instruction from Suzuki. All they did was apply a waterproof spray solution, I am waterproofing the connectors myself and should finish it today, but in 2016 a bike owner has to do this to ensure his bike will function correctly in our climate?  I don't think so............Suzuki has got this all wrong and there seems to be conflicting views on the rubber boot issue with no real direction from Suzuki. I would advise anyone who is thinking about buying one of these machines to read through this forum and make a very balanced decision before handing over your cash. The bike does tick a lot of boxes but the hassle I have gone through has taken the edge off it for me, I have no problem with my dealer and what they have done for me but this is the last Suzuki motorcycle I will own.

Offline ajs500

• Bike: AL4
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2016, 15:08:24 »
Yep.....fully understand. I had to stand at the service desk at the dealers and told them that I wasn't moving until they phoned Suzuki technical about the ECU (they weren't going to do anything more to the bike).  The technical dept advised them of the part number for the ECU (which they ordered) and also mentioned a boot for the electrical issue......hence why I asked if anyone had seen one yet. My dealers isn't local and it's a pain to get over there for something which shoud be remedied in one go. I don't think Suzuki are unique in this.....I had worse issues with BMW when I had a servo problem with an RT (which is why I am loathed to buy another BM). I'm loyal - give me a good bike and good service and I'll buy another one .....if not ta ta.