Author Topic: TRE for Vee2 (solves the throttle problem?)  (Read 55216 times)

Offline bosnjo

• Bike: DL1000 L7
Re: TRE for Vee2 (solves the throttle problem?)
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2015, 07:33:57 »
Yes, that was exactly what I thought but then, both blokes who installed X-TRE claim the map of 5th is much better then of 4th on low end.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline bosnjo

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2015, 12:49:27 »
Booked at my dealer today at 14:30 to install X-TRE. He won't charge me anything for installation and he'll see, if he had a time he will run the bike on Dyno before and after. I said I could install it myself but he promptly offered to do it free of charge.
What a great dealer I have.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline oddbod

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2015, 13:08:07 »
great news.

looking forward to hearing your comments on whether you notice the improvement.

would be interesting to see the dyno results too
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline bosnjo

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2015, 20:29:38 »
Installed !!
Unfortunately, Dyno was not avaliable.
My dealer thought I was interested about engine power and no speed limiter and as I told him I wanted smooth low revs only, after installation he said he was going to take it for 1st spin. OK.
He didn't have much time so he came back after 15 minutes and said: WOW!!
He's taken it up to 242 km/h (indicated) and went out of the road (his words, not mine). My god, I don't need that speed. I was after low revs improvement. I don't want that speed and I've never gone over 170 km/h, I don't agree owning adventure bike for a speed. If I wanted speed, I'd go for Busa or GSXR. Anyway, he said, now you take it for a spin and check low revs behaviour.
So, here it comes:
1st, to get it out of his workshop, I have to go through the gate and make sharp right turn between two buildings, I mean, very sharp. I've done that 100 times already with this bike. So, I did it with same ammount of the clutch and accelerator as I've done it always. And, I almost crashed into opposite wall.
WTF?
The power is so much bigger then expected. Next few streets, and It's confirmed, more power. But it was not more BHP, it was like having much bigger torque.
Next, few faster streets and I realised I was going much faster then I normaly do in that area. Slowed down a bit and found out the bike has lot less vibrations then before on any revs. I say that because I've done close to 10.000 km's and I know my bike.
But my primary goal was to get to the area with lot of roundabouts that I mainly had to negotiate by slipping the clutch.
The first roundabout done by slipping the clutch, again. I forgot that I need to try it without slipping the clutch. So, I went again through the same one. 2nd gear, 2500 rpm, no clutch and the bike was as smooth as silk. Tried again, and yes, no clutch slipping needed. Next, much smaller roundabout and I went in very slow, just to see what hapens. 2000 rpm, 2nd gear, no problems without clutch. Just for fun, I tried again, this time even slower. 2nd gear, 1800 rpm. Smooth again, no clutch needed. Again. 2nd gear 1500 rpm, no clutch and I felt my bike surging. So, that one was NO NO. Tried again, 2nd gear 1800 rpm, smooth again.
WOW, I was like a child in candy shop. Next hour was at all kind of roundabouts on very low revs, to take final conclusion. And it's, everything down to 1800 rpm and bike was happy. Less than that and surging would show up. So, it's much better then I expected. For me, down to 2500 rpm in 2nd or 1st gear was what I needed but I certanly didn't expect it to smootly go down to 1800 rpm without surging. All done without clutch slipping.
Next test was engine braking. In all gears, when I close the throttle fully, there is engine braking but lot less then before. Before, in slow moving traffic, I'd usualy cut the throttle and if done without a clutch it was like hitting the brakes. Opening the throttle just a bit and bike would jump forward a lot. I could observe in those situation if I had a pillion, the person would have to hold tight to grab rails. It was very uncomfortable for both of us. Once, I even closed the throttle fully inside a roundabout (very polished surface) and didn't use the clutch, and rear wheel slipped a lot. I didn't fall down as the rear wheel recovered the traction but it was hairy situation. Now, it's all gone. I can play with throttle and ON/OFF effect is gone. It's very smoooth and wouldn't need the clutch at all. Tested on the same roundabout with very slippery (polished) surface and no problems at all.
As the last test, I tried to stall the bike by flipping the throttle, the way we shoudn't do it. I've done it like 30-40 times. Every time I could hear the butterfly's "clonk", just as before, but the engine didn't stall. Whatever I tried, I coudn't make it stall (still to try with cold engine). And yes, 5th gear map gave the best results so it'll stay there.
Then I came back to my dealer, as I promised to report what I've found out. It was like a deal between two of us, he'd install it free of charge and I'd share my experience.
On the way home, I noticed my riding changed a lot. MPG was worse because I rode faster as usual and used higher rpm's then usual. Now it's down to training to get back to my usual riding style and rpm's.
I love this piece of kit. I paid 90 euros for it.
When I got home, my dealer called me just to say that he orderd two more kits, as two of other owners of Vee2 were waiting for my experience and they both already said they wanted it badly after he informed them about my findings.
One thing my dealer told me, was that bike will take some time to measure CO2, air and fuel so the ECU can learn them and make some changes. He said it shoudn't make things worse but let's wait and see.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline greywolf

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2015, 20:41:28 »
The ECU does not learn anything. It's parameters are fixed unless they are plugged into a programming device to change them.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline stevecro

• Bike: DL1000 L4, 2008 Suzuki DR650, 2002 Triumph Speed Triple - Nuclear Red (Magenta)
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2015, 05:14:42 »
Quote from: "bosnjo"
Installed !!
thanks. Please let us know how fuel consumption is affected when you are back to riding normally   :auto-dirtbike: .

Offline oddbod

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2015, 09:01:38 »
excellent....glad to hear you also agree it smooths out the low rev handling issue.

I too am not bothered about extra speed at the top end, simply being able to better control and enjoy the bike at low speeds in and around town was my gripe (without the random cut outs too).

Best bit of kit I've bought in the 15 months of owning this bike. I think I can finally say....it's fixed!!!!
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline bosnjo

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2015, 10:54:36 »
If ECU doesn't learn anything, that's good news for me. I've seen two members here that had done remap and were happy with it but after a while the bike came back to almost what it was before remap. I myself was car mechanic many years ago and at that time cars had no ECU so I can't comment much about ECU.
One more information I forgot to mention on my previous post. When I first started the bike after installation of X-TRE, I noticed that exhaust was a bit louder then usual. I have Arrow exhaust can but not full Arrow exhaust system.
I have to add something to all this, regarding low revs behaviour. When I got the bike, low revs behaviour was at unacceptable level for me. I suffered a lot during first week and I knew I didn't want the bike the way it was. Then, Arrow exhaust arrived and after I installed it, half of the low revs problems dissapeared. At that point, my bike moved from unacceptable level to acceptable. Just acceptable, not good or perfect. I was OK with the bike but not very happy and I researched a lot to take it to a perfect level. After X-TRE installation, I can say I'm happy with the bike now and low revs problem's gone. It even gained some power I was not after but I like that too.
My fuel consumption is at 5,4 L/100km (52,3 MPG UK) and it hadn't been reset from the first day of owning the bike. I ride all kind of roads, rarely dual carriageway and never offroad. I will reset it now and see.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline Timmo

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2015, 15:12:26 »
Is there any idea as to why some Veeks are affected and not others? Good one bosnjo :)

Offline zippy

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2015, 16:38:52 »
hi blokes , have been following with interest I have fitted a full arrow system and the difference is in my eyes is  night and day . I fitted the end can and sounds better with the stock collectors,  then I fitted  the full arrow collectors and a big difference its like the engine has woken up just how a large v twin should sound,I have fitted a pcfc and kn filter (running on stock setting )for the time being then its of to bsd dyno in peterbrough next month for a full remap with a pcfc  .I have spoken to the dyno bloke and he recommended the tre as well  as I don't think the full remap will sort out the fuelling issues on the low speed glitch as the tre will by all accounts so that's next on my list

it will have a good run out tomorrow as of to goodwood fos
ride safe Jason

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2015, 17:37:14 »
An excellent post Bosnjo,  I've just put 2600 miles on my new Veek  with a run through the Alps and down to Nice and back . generally v pleased with it however the snatchy engine braking and acceleration in low gears / low speed nearly caught me out a couple of times on roundabouts.
   I picked up an FI warning light half way which self extinguished after 1000 miles, no noticeable difference on the bike. I tried a susuki dealer in Menton but was met with a Gallic shrug and he showed me his very full diary !
 Took it to my local dealer Groombridge motorbikes who I have to say have been great, the latched fault code was for the exhaust valve controller which they are changing under warranty.
 I did notice it back firing occasionally under engine braking in the Alps but I put that down to altitude !
    Any way I think after reading other people's experiences with the Tre I shall be ordering one very soon :thumb:

Offline bosnjo

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2015, 19:51:24 »
Just to remind those blokes who want to install it, it's:
X-TRE S01 model !!!!
That's the only one that will not disable gear select indicator on dash.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline oddbod

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2015, 20:46:29 »
Happy bunnies all round then.
Great detailed post Bosnjo. Far better than I could put into words but as long as the point is put across for anyone else who has experienced the same issues as we have then the objective is accomplished.
Great news to finally have a bike that's enjoyable isn't it
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline bosnjo

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2015, 21:47:16 »
Yes Odbod, finally.
This morning I woke up at 5:00 (imagine, I'm still on vacations) and at 5:30 I was on the road. I simply love it and all that's on my mind is "go ride". Had my brakfast and shower only at 11:30. Since X-TRE installation I already went through tank and a half.
Can't leave bloody thing (my bike) alone...
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline Lifebiker

• Bike: BMW R1150RT
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2015, 23:09:23 »
I think I may have responded to this before............I have done 6500 miles on my Desert and apart from the dealer making a minor adjust on the first service (they spotted the glich not me) and me taking up the throttle slack I don't have the problem. Take it back to the dealer and demand they do something.

Offline stevecro

• Bike: DL1000 L4, 2008 Suzuki DR650, 2002 Triumph Speed Triple - Nuclear Red (Magenta)
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2015, 09:54:09 »
no, I've never considered it a problem either, but bikes may vary a little.
Apart from that it must be agreed there is a quick fuel cut off when closing off throttle in low gears. II can ride around this but I know it's to keep the bike 'lean" and not how it would be ideally. The smoother the better

Offline bosnjo

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2015, 09:35:19 »
Just to complete my review with MPG:
As I said, my fuel consumption was at 5,4 L/100km (52,3 MPG UK) without resetting the counter since I got the bike.
After installing the X-TRE, I did reset the ODO. Done 500 km's since, and MPG is now 5,3 L/100km (53,3 MPG UK). The only justifications I find is that I shift earlier when I'm going up to cruising speed slowly, as the engine is much smoother on lower revs now.
The final judgement about MPG I could make only after 6 months or more without resetting my ODO but MPG is the last thing I want to think about. I bought 1000cc bike to enjoy every bit of it and I don't care about MPG because I'm really enjoying my bike now.
DL1000 2017 white
DL1000 2014 red (sold)
DL650 2012 white (sold)

Offline oddbod

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2015, 15:14:09 »
that's great news Bosnjo that you're finally enjoying the bike.

I hope to get out on mine a whole lot more over the coming months so I can enjoy it too. Work has been exceptionally busy of late so I haven't had much chance to use it.

Easing off now so its bike bike bike time for me. Hoooorahh. Especially as it's finally nice to ride!!
DL1000 2014 Red
DL650 2012 White (sold)

Offline TarkMalbot

• Bike: 2015 DL1000 ABS
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2015, 19:41:35 »
Where is the best place to get one in the UK? I have found them from Bikers Discount Store but they are £100 delivered.
2015 DL1000 ABS with Grand Touring Pack. X-TRE, Speedo Healer, PDM60,  CREE U5 LED Spotlights, Puig Hugger, Puig Touring Screen and Multiregulable Visor,  Short Billet Brake & Clutch Levers, BS Motorparts Rad Cover, Scotoiler & R&G Shock Tube.

Offline Relevant11

• Bike: Dl1000L4. KTM XCF 350, Royal Enfield interceptor 650( yes they are as good as they say)
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2015, 20:21:55 »
I think they're the only healtech importers, I ended up getting mine from them.