Author Topic: Perfect position for stock screen  (Read 11079 times)

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Perfect position for stock screen
« on: May 11, 2014, 18:54:52 »
It's on a shelf in my spare bedroom!
Went out today without screen as recommended by one or two on here, and it's miles less of a nuisance. The air  is "cleaner", smoother without the eyeball-jarring vibes. A bit noisier, but earplugs'll take care of that. Ages ago, Drew3 was going to cut a screen down, and Jacko was looking for a spare screen to [s:2jmegbc1]cock up[/s:2jmegbc1]  adapt.
Has anybody tried going smaller / smarter with screens, rather than bigger / wider? I know the Airflow's a clever one with it's channel of air between the two sections, just wondering if a small spoiler / wing / allula type thing might have a similar effect if mounted right down by the top of the fairing? I also suspect the well nut type of mounting may add to the vibes and buffeting when magnified over the area of the screen, has anybody looked into a solid mounting system?

Offline RichyB

Re: Perfect position for stock screen
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 19:04:16 »
I like the stock screen and have no issues with it, but ear plugs? Nah......
Gilera 50cc Trail, Suzuki AP50, Suzuki GT 250, Suzuki GT 500 {Buying house and raising kids} -  Then Yamaha DT 175, Kawasaki GPz 750, Honda CB 250, Kawasaki ZX9R (x3), Kawasaki KLE 500, Suzuki GSX 1400 and Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

Online Rusty Nuts

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 20:14:33 »
I avoided ear plugs for over thirty years, riding open faced with completely open pipes on a CBX 6 and a VN 1500, but as I get older I appreciate how fatiguing noise can be on a journey. Ear plugs work. You just have to keep an eye on your speed until you get used to them.

Offline Jay2

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 21:35:30 »
There is the so-called 'sport' V-Strom screen, if your after something smaller.
"If in doubt, flat out"

Hilldweller

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 21:49:24 »
Quote from: "RichyB"
I like the stock screen and have no issues with it,...

You keep saying this.

Just about the only person on the planet who is though.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 22:04:57 »
Quote from: "Hilldweller"

You keep saying this.

Do I detect a hint of jealousy?! If it's any consolation I'm still having issues with my new screen but it is higher up the speed range than with the standard screen! Just think of it this way, buggering about with screens is all part of the Vstrom ownership experience and poor RichyB is missing out! Lucky fella...
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Hilldweller

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 22:13:51 »
Quote from: "tallpaul"
Do I detect a hint of jealousy?!

No, surprise.

Maybe he is exactly the same build as the jappy chappy they used when designing the bike.

I'm still on the stock screen and madstat. Not got the heart to keep throwing money at screens with no certainty it will work.

Anyway, the bike is in it's element round the back lanes way below the buffeting speed.

Offline SausagesDad

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 08:12:45 »
Although I'm a bit reluctant to admit it I have no problem with the stock screen and mirrors.  Maybe because I have less to compare to than those of you who've ridden lots of other bikes but I don't seem to suffer from the problems most describe. I'm 5'11" and fairly sturdily built.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 12:23:11 »
I had no buffetting issues from the stock screen/mirrors either however I did get a lot of wind noise from the screen which I eventually got fed up with. Just put an Airflow on which has solved the problem.

I also liked the stock mirrors (albeit they're ugly) but I managed to scratch the plastic on one of them and the Aprilla ones were cheaper than a single stock replacement.

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 12:25:54 »
Quote from: "UK_Vstrom650"
I had no buffetting issues from the stock screen/mirrors either however I did get a lot of wind noise from the screen which I eventually got fed up with. Just put an Airflow on which has solved the problem.

Me too, there seems to be a lot of words written about buffeting, and money spent trying to solve it.

Offline RichyB

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 19:37:12 »
Quote from: "Hilldweller"

You keep saying this.

Well, that's simply not true is it?

An opinion which, doubtless pi**es you off. It's mine, however, and I'm entitled to it  :neen:

Riding, what some say, proper motorcycles for many years without any wind protection - this screen is fabulous. See, I said it again  :grin:

You no like? Change it. For me? Perfection personified.
Gilera 50cc Trail, Suzuki AP50, Suzuki GT 250, Suzuki GT 500 {Buying house and raising kids} -  Then Yamaha DT 175, Kawasaki GPz 750, Honda CB 250, Kawasaki ZX9R (x3), Kawasaki KLE 500, Suzuki GSX 1400 and Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

Offline Gizmo

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 19:11:23 »
I sorted my buffeting out today and for me smaller turned out to be better.

First I tried a 22 inch tall touring screen, but after hours of experimentation with settings all I was left with was double vision and a headache thanks to continued buffeting at anything over 100km/h.

So I decided to do the exact opposite - I put back my original screen, but used the Madstad bracket to set it low and well-angled towards the cockpit. Problem solved.

it seems to me that the cowling and screen design of the standard set-up is the perfect design for buffetting and that Suzuki should spend a few hours with their bikes in a wind tunnel.

My recommendation for a turbulence free ride would be to either -

1. Ride it without a screen, or
2. Fit a low sport screen, or
3. Use a Madstad bracket to turn your standard screen into a sportscreen, or
4. If you have the fabrication skills to build a cover for the cowling and the side channels with an integrated screen. Look at a late model KLR 650 to see what I mean.

it is different for everyone, but I have resolved my buffeting by going smaller and sharper angled. For the first time I can now enjoy my bike without my eyeballs bouncing around.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Perfect position for stock screen
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 19:27:09 »
Quote from: "Rusty Nuts"
It's on a shelf in my spare bedroom!
Went out today without screen as recommended by one or two on here, and it's miles less of a nuisance. The air  is "cleaner", smoother without the eyeball-jarring vibes. A bit noisier, but earplugs'll take care of that. Ages ago, Drew3 was going to cut a screen down, and Jacko was looking for a spare screen to [s:48widy0a]cock up[/s:48widy0a]  adapt.

Yup, the screen creates the problem, remove it and it's gone. A big vertical object right at the front of a moving object isn't conducive to good aerodynamics.  Low sports screens, as on my other bike and the bike I traded in for the Glee, left nothing but clean, undisturbed air above shoulder height.

I'm still after a cheap stock Glee screen to cock up if you fancy selling me it RN...

Online Rusty Nuts

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 20:31:10 »
It's now carefully wrapped in the bubble wrap and box that the Airflow came in. To put back on when I part company with the Glee. Surely somebody's so disenchanted with the stock one that they'd flog you one for research purposes?

Offline awicks

• Bike: DL650 L2, White
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 20:42:37 »
I have spent hours today playing with my screen/mirror setup and have concluded that the buffeting does come from the screen as I spent most of my testing today without the mirrors on the bike and I was still suffering buffeting.

I have ended up with standard mirrors and my airflow screen on a palmer bracket. I am not entirely happy with it, but it's the best I can come up with at the moment

Offline Shrek

• Bike: 2007 Strom 1000
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 19:46:03 »
Two weeks into V Strom ownership, loving it so far but having buffetting probs above 90mph (I'm 6'6"), have put standard screen on highest setting, but having read this I'm going to try it on the lowest...

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 22:09:12 »
On a private road then?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Holmsey

• Bike: DL650 L9
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 22:48:50 »
Quote from: "Shrek"
but having buffetting problem above 90mph (I'm 6'6"), have put standard screen on highest setting, but having read this I'm going to try it on the lowest...

:shock:

Is that a significant statement ?   ......... Please sign here sir

I am sure you meant 90 KPH  :grin:
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 23:07:25 »
Madstad and mirror extenders solved my issues in all the screens I tried. I tried a small screen, just adjusted the madstad until I got nice clean air. With a givi tall screen adjusted the angle until I was in a pocket of calm.

saying that, I now use a givi airflow on the lowest setting and its perfect. I can see clearly over the screen, air hits the top of my helmet but no buffeting, so the open lid vent keeps me cool.

I have noticed that the bike also feels better to me in the high north Wales winds with the airflow and madstad combination. I had the madstad off for a few days while I repainted it and the front end didn't feel the same for me
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline SausagesDad

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2014, 08:22:14 »
Holmsey: pot, kettle, black. Stop it.