Author Topic: Rust on belly pan...  (Read 1001 times)

Offline 03guyjam

Rust on belly pan...
« on: February 10, 2013, 21:39:20 »
Just wondering if anyones seen any rust on where the belly pan gets bolted down on the front of the bike? I've ride my bike all year year round including ice and snow and have done around 2000miles in december and january and there has been rust appearing around the engine bars where the belly pan connects to.

How do people go around of getting it off? I was thinking of sanding it all down and then coating in hammerite over it to make sure all the rust is neutralized and then clean the hammerite off to make sure the primer sticks to the metal and then spray paint that section to the same color of the bars.

All the parts are the official Suzuki parts and there is no rust on any other part of the bike.

I know that its rusted as the salt off the road sticks to that part and the bolts which attach the belly pan to the engine bars might have caused a crack in the paint for the elements to get in... so it is worth before putting it back on the bike putting a bit of insulation tape over it so when the metal screws onto it it will have a rubber bit to grip onto rather than metal? This was done to hand grip controller by the dealer as my last bike started to have the paint peel as again that was metal on metal and had scratched the paint and let the elements in.

Many Thanks for the repiles (sorry about the lengthy reply)

Offline Descolada

Re: Rust on belly pan...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 15:54:02 »
Yep, I have some rusting around the mounting bolts area. As soon as I have a moment am going to remove, cleanup and respray the area. With all the salt on the roads right now am not surprised.