Author Topic: The moaning old git thread  (Read 324843 times)

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: The moaning old git thread
« Reply #2820 on: June 22, 2021, 21:57:31 »
I have many devices scattered around the house for running the lights. Mostly,  they look like this.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #2821 on: June 23, 2021, 10:53:57 »
The company that insures my bikes  (no names - no writs) sends all the documentation via e-mail. Oh! what fun I have creating and naming folders.  Every time I talk to them on the phone I receive a bundle of PDFs that must be downloaded and renamed and then tucked ito the appropriate folder. Due to circumstances beyond my understanding I had four certificates for the KTM and I am not due to collect it until Thursday 24th. The earliest one has an effective date of the 24th and the succeeding three an effective date of the 26th. A phone call sorted it out and they agreed to email me the correct certificate. But I can't help but wonder what would have happened if I had ridden the bike out from the dealers in plain sight of an ANPR camera.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #2822 on: June 23, 2021, 22:09:23 »
I had one issued with incorrect info so I phoned them and got a correction, but this had the incorrect registration number which I hadn't spotted. I only noticed it when I randomly typed my reg in the insurance database (on google) which said my bike had no insurance so I had to contact them again.
From what I've seen on tv, the police will contact insurance companies to double check so the insurance company could sort it in case of error.
(I'd be more concerned with an accident than ANPR)

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #2823 on: June 25, 2021, 22:27:25 »
Yes I am an old git and I'm having a moan about my phone and will end with two questions.
KTM do not provide a handbook with the new 390 Duke.  It's available to download off the KTM site and it can be printed, Yes all 280 pages of it.
I installed the PDF on my phone "SONY". I have a PDF reader on the phone but it does not allow a 'jump to a chapter' and I can't do with scrolling through a squillion bloody pages to find out what the tyre pressure should be. Additionally GOOGLE put advertising on the screen which won't go away.
So my question is:- Can I get a PDF reader for my phone, from adobe, and use it without GOOGLE plastering advertising all over it. AND if a PDR reader is available with have full functionality as I get on my PC?

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #2824 on: June 26, 2021, 05:25:08 »
Why not simply type KTM 390 Duke tyre pressures?

I do honestly agree, owners manuals should be a printed hard copy. :old:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #2825 on: June 26, 2021, 09:10:59 »
Adobe's own Acrobat Reader is available from the Google Play Store assuming your Sony is Android. If the document has been properly formatted then chapters should be viewable. Alternatively you can scroll through thumbnails which is faster or there is a 'search in document' option on the top toolbar which might be quicker.

Oh and no Google ads, even the Adobe ones are few and far between.

Offline Brockett

« Reply #2826 on: June 26, 2021, 12:13:46 »
My dear Rixington, I am sure what you have said is true for you but so far not for me Google adds are plastered all over my PDFs but happily not much else. If I go to the 'Google play store' for Adobe Reader, it proudly boasts the 'app' will be accompanied by advertising although it does implore me to give it maximum access to my phone and my location so that I may benefit from targeted adds, otherwise I'll still get adds even though they may be irrelevant to me.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #2827 on: June 26, 2021, 14:13:09 »
Oh dear, back to the drawing board (printer) then sadly I guess.

Offline Lemonwizard

« Reply #2828 on: June 26, 2021, 14:48:10 »
In another thread I recommended the app Blokada which is a must-have for people who don't want to be tracked, but it's also great for blocking ads. Blokada doesn't just block ads in the browser but also in apps, if the advertisement system is implemented in a certain way. You should give it a shot.

The powerful version of Blokada isn't available on the Play Store because Google obviously doesn't like apps that interfere with tracking the user and pushing ads. Here's the link to the website where you can download it: https://blokada.org/
I like M&Ms - motorcycles and metal 🤘

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #2829 on: July 03, 2021, 21:59:07 »
What is the point of Test and Trace? The kids have brought Covid home from school and Test and Trace not only tell us the wrong information on how far back their contacts need to be traced (said seven days instead of 48hrs which is a massive difference), but then tell us that it's our job to contact them despite taking all the contact info?  :icon_exclaim:  :violence-smack:

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #2830 on: July 03, 2021, 23:00:33 »
Test and Trace has been a great success (at giving contracts to people who have mates in government).

Offline SuzukiSte

Does it get any worse
« Reply #2831 on: July 06, 2021, 16:38:11 »
Sorry for the Moan my mother in Law passed away last month, now just had a call to say my Brother in laws Mum as passed away this morning life can be so cruel at times. :groan:
And to top it all off I am stuck in due to a work colleague having Covid 19 Bummer. ###

Offline Brockett

« Reply #2832 on: July 06, 2021, 18:33:38 »
Sorry for your loss Steve. Take care

Offline Brockett

« Reply #2833 on: July 06, 2021, 18:48:12 »
An email today says "Congratulations blah,blah" it seems I have won a surprise from Amazon. I didn't click the link because I don't want to run the risk of a free ride into space.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #2834 on: July 06, 2021, 19:33:50 »
You'll get your free ride into space alright when your new Thairumph is run in. :thumb:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #2835 on: July 07, 2021, 10:28:34 »
Talking of emails....Deb received one yesterday, a very official looking one from the 'NHS', asking her to sign up and get a 'Covid passport'.
The link took her to a very official looking 'NHS site' with a very well set out form to fill in her details.
It started well, name, address, DOB, NHS number, etc, then it asked for bank details and credit card details. At that point Deb became suspicious especially when it asked for the three digit security code (CVV2) on the back of the card!!

A quick Google and apparently it is a quite common scam going on all over the country.

Be careful out there, there is always some bastard who wants to steal money from you!!

Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #2836 on: July 07, 2021, 10:41:01 »
Scamming is a real growth industry, so be super careful out there folks and be careful who you trust.

I've hardly had any automated messages from scammers on my landline lately (worse luck- I absolutely love wasting their time so they can't scam others in the meantime), but now more text message scams than ever- usually delivery-based. This increase may or may not be a result of the data breach at One Call Insurance (but if one bunch of scammers try to hold another to ransom that's kind of poetic justice).

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #2837 on: July 07, 2021, 11:09:27 »
There are the clever scams and there are these..............
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #2838 on: July 07, 2021, 11:31:13 »
Bloody hell, Mick. We don't want you under the rest.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #2839 on: July 07, 2021, 11:34:27 »
I take it you paid pronto!!

For any emails/texts asking you to follow links from the government, always go via Gov.uk or Google, but even with the latter you need to be careful as it sometimes returns a dodgy site above the gov.uk one which may charge for free services.