Author Topic: tyre wear on your 1050 ??  (Read 820 times)

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: tyre wear on your 1050 ??
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2024, 07:13:17 »
This discussion has been extremely informative. It goes to show how complex tyre pressure can really be. A lot of points on tyre pressure that I've simply taken for granted.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2024, 17:40:29 »
Suspension settings also have an effect on tyre life and air pressures.
If the suspension is having a hard time keeping the tyre on the ground it will wear quicker.The "skipping" (tiny skips that are not felt) tyre also doesn't warm as evenly, hotspots at the "skip" impact not overall warming.This can in turn effect pressures.I am talking road riding ,not race, where at extremes funny things happen.
I was using road 6s on my 650 on the std suspension and all was good on std 33/36 pressures.When I got the Nitron TVT forks and shock the front pressure no longer worked??
Same tyre ,but it would "follow" cracks in the road,like a minor version of whitelining.It "felt" over inflated.
A drop of pressure to 30 at the front cured it with no other bad effects.
I don't  know if it was always there but with the std forks I couldn't feel it(chances are I was being really focused on the suspension,having just fitted it), or if the more controlled fork action meant the tyre warmed more meaning 33 gave too high a pressure giving a smaller contact patch.Not sure ,but the effect of dropping the pressure was real.
Playing with the settings/ pressures thankfully is free, if time consuming.
It is a complicated subject with no decisive answer,just what works for you.

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2024, 20:56:28 »
happy new tyre day   :text-bravo:

What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map