Author Topic: Near miss!  (Read 227 times)

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Near miss!
« on: March 05, 2024, 17:35:09 »
I was driving towards the M4 from Carmarthen yesterday in the car, just as I joined the Motorway roundabout (I was in the outside lane), a box wagon to my inside decided to eject its Pallet Truck onto the road  :shock: It missed me by about a quarter of an inch (or EU38)  :stirpot:

I chased the wagon and started sounding the horn and flashing my lights behind him and alongside him, both back doors were wide open. I pulled in front, indicating left and pointing for him to pull over. He clearly thought I was some nutter as he tried to overtake me. Finally, with the window open and a bit of frantic arm waving he pulled over. It was obviously the first time he checked his mirrors because he could now see his open doors.  :angry-banghead:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline MilozFolly

• Bike: DL650 L3
Re: Near miss!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 19:04:44 »
Jeez - glad you're OK.  Maybe it's because I don't tow frequently but it amazes me that people seem to blase about doing it.  Checking that the load is still there would seem the basic requirement.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 19:52:23 »
I've towed lots of times, car trailers, caravans and motorbikes but even though I know my load is safe I become paranoid and sometimes I think I've been looking in my mirrors as much as looking ahead.

Reference trying to stop the driver, I think it's because of all the road rage that people are reluctant to stop no matter what you do. Years ago I was driving a lorry and behind a tractor towing a big trailer full of large hay bail, the round type. When I saw one dislodge when it hit a tree I spent the next mile trying to stop the driver to no avail.

Eventually the bail fell off, I expected it and drove round it and then saw a gap allowing me to pass the tractor and stop him. He hadn't even noticed and didn't really seem to care. Another couple of miles on I came to a police station where I reported the incident and the fact that the driver wouldn't stop.

The police didn't seem surprised but sent a cop out to direct traffic. A sign of the times I think.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 20:11:49 »
Pallet trucks are rather solid and heavy. Could have been nasty.

I once followed a woman driver for 2 miles in my works van, flashing my lights, sounding my horn. She eventually stopped. "Your purse is on the car roof!" 'Hmmph' rolls eyes, snatches purse, drives off.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 21:25:06 »
   A dodgy near miss happened to a mate quite a few years ago(40ish).He was on his way to a job in Scotland in his firms car,and was following a skip lorry,the lorry hit a bump and the skip fell off the back of the lorry,landing on his bonnet,phew ,was he lucky or what 😟
Ian Mc.