Author Topic: What have you done today  (Read 9355 times)

Offline Addzz

• Bike: DL650 AK7, SV650SK1
Re: What have you done today
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2023, 19:01:47 »
Today has mostly consisted of a gym session, fixed a toilet, fixed some taps, repealed a bath and tiled a bathroom floor. Also called my normal tyre place and booked the strom in for some new tyres next week

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2023, 21:48:24 »
@Rixington43 I prefer restoring engines rather than showing them so they generally get to a show or two before I move them on.
My most recent was a 1944 Wolesley WD2, before and after pics.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2023, 21:51:21 »
Can anyone help TLPower? He needs a new lawn mower engine. Again.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2023, 09:22:15 »
Yesterday......I drove over to Newark to meet a few other like minded people idiots to sit on the river bank from 10.00 'till 22.00 in the pouring rain.
We met at a cafe for breakfast where I made a school boy error & ordered a small one!!  ### It was very nice though.
I did catch a few fish so a grand day out without the bike.  :thumb:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2023, 16:46:35 »
Grandkids rugby tournament in Paignton….👍

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2023, 19:13:08 »
Rixington43 and Robotstar5
If you are interested I have a Villers engine machine I found when I was cleaning out my dads shed (see pics ) it is a Tarpen Flex and if either of you would like it you can have it for free.
Collection from Chelmsford Essex.

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2023, 22:29:24 »
@Asmith61, thanks for the offer, but Essex is a bit far to travel for a small Villiers engine.
Tarpen were well known for small generators, the flex drive set-up is a bit rarer.
For info: your engine is one of the Villiers Lightweight range (512 or 515) I picked a bare engine up for a tenner a couple of years ago.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2023, 17:24:42 »
Can anyone help TLPower? He needs a new lawn mower engine. Again.

Thank you Rusty, how kind.

A cautionary tale to all of you who have full size horse sculptures in your gardens. Do not ever cut the lawn too close to the structures that secure said horses to the ground. If you are unlucky enough to hit one with a Mountfield petrol mower it will stop the engine very suddenly with sufficient force to bend the crankshaft.

The sensible ones amongst us would take this as some kind of salutary lesson and avoid the four legged bastards at all costs when cutting the lawn with your new mower.

Last Friday afternoon with the sun beaming, the birds singing and everything being well with the world I decided it was time for the weekly lawn mowing duties.
( I say lawn based on the fact that I put "stripes" in with a roller, mowing the lawn without stripes is merely cutting the grass. I digress.)

The front lawn (see above, stripes) was completed without incident, the rear lawn was started upon with me pushing the envelope of skill and sanity by cutting closer and closer to the equine twats.

The resulting collision stopped the engine dead (again), as an added bonus it deposited a significant amount of engine oil from it's bowels it an attempt to show me it was really hurt. Of course I decided to try and re-start the poor thing which to it's credit it did though now rather noisily and with a cloud of smoke a dreadnought would be proud of when "making smoke to escape".

Suspecting another bent crank I retreated to my lair, the Thunderbastard was replaced by the mortally wounded Briggs&Stratton lawnmower on the bike lift which now served as an operating table. Tipping the mower over and turning over the engine showed a blade giving an excellent impression of a long playing record that had spent too much time too close to a radiator. It also managed to pump the remainder of it's oily life blood out of it's various orifices.

Grim.

Undaunted I decided that it might just be wounded and not dead. I fashioned a dial gauge on the top of the crank and turned the engine, that appeared straight, the blade end definitely wasn't, but what if the aluminum blade mounting/rear drive boss was bent instead? All could be well?

I set to removing the boss  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314028637129?hash=item491d90bbc9:g:-u4AAOSw first with a gentle tap, then heavier encouragement and finally my 4 pounder with chisel. The first few blows resulted in nothing more than a few bits of casting making their bids for freedom. Unperturbed I moved the chisel to a new spot and swung a hefty blow.

Unfortunately my aim was poor, instead of steel I hit the base of my thumb.

The pain was immediate and sufficient to pass straight to my bollocks and toes. My latex safety gloves provided a laughable amount of protection. I tentatively removed the glove to be greeted with a tennis ball sized swelling, fearing the worst I sent a pictorial message to Mrs Power who was out delivering grandson number one back to his parents. I mentioned I may need to visit A&E.

As the minutes passed I reasoned that the thumb still moved as did the rest of the digits. Other than the pulsating agony I decided that I could forego a visit. By the time Mrs Power arrived home the swelling had begun to subside with the aid of a cold compress.

Back to the mower.

A quick search on FB marketplace for a replacement engine threw up a likely candidate 45 minutes away. It had been for sale for 20 weeks, I feared the worst but messaged the seller, he replied immediately and a deal was struck for me to collect on Saturday morning. I gave him £10.00 and I was the proud owner of another B&S 450.

It was in a oil tight condition, he assured me it was a runner when he removed it...

I removed the dead engine, I attempted turn the new engine over on the bench to be greeted with it being a little tight. I removed the spark, plug and a large amount of oil spewed out, this did allow the engine to turn over freely. In an effort to clear the rest of the oil out I left it with the engine draining out of the spark plug hole.

I nonchalantly began fitting it into the mower, I even put some music on I was so confident all would be well.

I was wrong.

With everything refitted I attempted a start, this resulted in the pull cord being snatched out of my hand and the engine failing to turn a full revolution, I took the plug out again and it was covered in oil, it would spin over perfectly with the plug out suggesting the presence of oil still in the cylinder.

I removed the head and was treated to a dollop of oil stuck in the combustion chamber. It was teatime so in I went.

Today at just after eleven I started the de-coking process and general fettling, the older engine had a better looking plug cap so I swapped over the magneto, I drained the remaining oil and filled with new. Primed the carb and it started first pull with plenty of smoke which cleared eventually. I finished the remainder of the lawn from last Friday but kept away from the horses. And the bruising is slowly subsiding thank you for asking.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2023, 18:04:22 »
I've made a point of avoiding anything equine ( except meat ) since 1981 when my then girlfriend made me sit on the horse she owned. Too far off the ground, no proper acceleration device, same with brakes and steering, worst of all a large brain. The brute knew who was boss immediately. It wasn't me.

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2023, 18:22:22 »
Robotstar5  thank you for the info on my engine.
And I quite agree about the distance to travel🤣

I used to have a Wolesley WD2 some 30 years ago I used to show it along with a lister water pump at the local village shows, the last stationary engine I had  was a Petter M

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2023, 19:12:15 »
What an excellent read Mr Power.

I was entertained.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2023, 03:03:42 »
I was just going to say, I have a spare B&S engine just sat here, then noticed you'd got a replacement.

I believe the Briggs and Stratton engines, at least, need the blade to be on when starting, mine ripped the starter out of my hand when I tried to test start it sans blade.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2023, 08:12:58 »
Thank you TL Power.
Excellent read, I felt your pain but I still laughed.
Loudly.
You should have known better, horses are only good for eating.
Now put that mower away until Spring.
Upt.

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2023, 17:02:21 »
Visited West Bay and Bill.👍

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2023, 20:39:17 »
Tuesday - I went fishing and caught five bream and four carp
Friday I  went fishing again and caught nine carp and tench
Today I got on the Stone and went to Great Yarmouth for a coffee at the American Diner
Tomorrow I am going fishing again.
When I have time to attend to the garden I don't.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2023, 12:08:45 »
Got back from a weeks wine tasting in Majorca, all bottles brought back are intact. Happy, 28c every day and some cracking winery visits. If you are ever thinking about visiting a vineyard while in Majorca check out Mortix up in the Traumantana's, spectacular views and stunning wines at surprisingly sensible prices. I'm like a bronzed god, sadly it's Buddah...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2023, 15:59:06 »
I like to say that my body used to be temple.

Now it's a carpet warehouse.

In other news instead of riding, I stayed at home and cut the laurel hedge AGAIN. I cut this years growth at the beginning of September and usually that does it for the year, the warm spell apparently told the laurel it was OK to start growing again.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2023, 17:12:34 »
Nice job  :thumb:

I've got a Castlewellian Gold hedge to tackle if we get some decent weather. If not it can wait until next year...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2023, 17:38:15 »
Possibly the last bit of tent action of the year... though no actual sleeping in the tent.

I've had a Vango Spirit 200+ for 12 years and earlier this year I set it up to check over and loads of the seam tape was pealing off so I bought some seam sealer but the weather has either been too hot or too wet when I've had opportunity to do it.

I was a little unsure about how well it would seal around the half secured tape so I did the outside stiching too.

Now just have to wait for it to dry.
Pitty it's work in the morning or else I'd be in it given the weather.

All ready for next year's bike camping.
This tent has a decent little porch so good if the wether is less than ideal, but still a very small pack size.

Ride Coordinator

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2023, 23:43:20 »
Talking about tents, has anyone tried treating the Oxford Aquatex covers with tent spray? (The stuff that's meant to condition / waterproof / UV protect tents)

I'm going to be on my 3rd cover in 3 and a bit years, they just seem to go really thin, lose the shine, and start tearing, especially on parts that are really exposed to the sun / kept taut. For instance the material round the elastic on the wheels is really strong still, but the section above the seat is dry, crinkly and will tear if you look at it wrong.

Once I bite the bullet (the covers appear to have gone up in price...) I will treat the new one with the spray every so often and see if it lasts longer!