Author Topic: A shout out to the NHS  (Read 188 times)

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
A shout out to the NHS
« on: March 29, 2024, 09:33:26 »
I thought I'd share the tale of exceptional care & treatment that the mother-in-law has recently received from our 'crumbling' NHS. Early in March 2024 she was diagnosed as having not one, but two types of cancer, both unconnected to each other. She had found a lump in her breast and then noticed an 'odd' patch of skin on her shin. Tests, 4 days after her first visit to the Doc's, confirmed both were cancerous and would need operations to remove. Fast forward two weeks and she had her Lumpectomy and it went very well, upon opening her up a second cancerous lump was discovered and removed and she had reconstructive surgery at the same time. That was Thursday last week, on Monday of this week she got a call to say they had a cancellation and could she come in to hospital on Tuesday to get the skin cancer removed. Crikey, in she went and 15 minuets later she was on her way home, cancer removed and sorted. Two operations in 6 days and all under a month from the initial diagnosis, now that is what I call a health service. I appreciate, it's not like that everywhere in the UK but you really can't fault the sevice in the Newcastle area.

She's doing well and hasn't needed any painkillers and only has a little bit of bruising. She's already walked along to the shops to get her daily papers and seems entirely unfazed by the whole event. The only bad bit is that she was officially measured and has 'shrunk' down to just 4'10"! But at 83 she's managing very well.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline cooltshirt

• Bike: DL650
Re: A shout out to the NHS
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2024, 13:04:08 »
That's a wonderful and uplifting story. Delighted that Mother in Law is on the mend.
My recent experience of the NHS has been one of great kindness and timely procedures. I am eternally grateful and aware, as you say, that sadly that is not everyone's experience.
"To feel the warm thrill of confusion, that space cadet glow"

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 15:04:04 »
As they keep telling us on the TV, it's a lotto. My sister would probably be alive now if it wasn't for the Liverpool NHS but my treatment for a fairly recently diagnosed cancer could not have been better if I was paying for it, just a tinny bit quicker maybe, that is in Devon.

The staff are all doing what they can but if you haven't the tools for the job or the staff to operate them then they just can't win.

I'm happy to hear that your Mother In Law had such great, speedy treatment. She sounds like a very cool lady.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Online MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 19:26:56 »
My Son has had eight (yes, eight) Brain Surgeries since January.

He's recovering well, but rehab will take months from here.

There is no doubt that the Oxford John Radcliffe NHS Hospital has saved his life, probably more than once.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2024, 03:49:35 »
From personal experience, problems that are potentially serious are seen VERY quickly, less serious problems less so. From initial F2F GP appointment to ultrasound for a problem was 2 weeks, and within 30 mins of the ultrasound being done, I had an SMS from the GP telling me what they found and that it was nothing to worry about. On the other hand, SWMBO was due to have the contraceptive implant replaced in Jan just gone, and was given an appointment in May...

There is a lot of fearmongering and stuff about the NHS, granted, but you get that in any kind of industry/business.