Author Topic: Insurance time again this week.  (Read 2982 times)

Offline SuzukiSte

Insurance time again this week.
« on: January 13, 2019, 21:57:42 »
 :dl_soapbox:  what on earth is going on with bike insurance can't win, :dl_smiley_banghead: tell them about all the
mods then they tell you mods are not covered in a claim what's the point in that. :shrug:
At least its gone down this year.  :lala:

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: Insurance time again this week.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 22:50:08 »
Mine too. In fact it's less than half what I paid last year. I triple checked all the details and it's correct, so happy days. I've had my bike a whole year! Woohoo!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 23:49:55 »
Maybe you've both crossed an age threshold.  :old: Celebrate with care.  :icon_wink:
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 09:43:47 »
I think it's because I've survived the first year of ownership!

Offline Freddyfruitbat

• Bike: BMW R1200RS
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 14:12:34 »
tell them about all the mods then they tell you mods are not covered in a claim what's the point in that
Cos the reason they ask you about mods is not so they can find out how much they need to pay you in a claim, but instead, to find out whether your mods make your bike riskier to insure.
KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS

Offline SuzukiSte

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 15:43:19 »
@Freddyfruitbat good point that, it will cost them more to replace, got a great deal in the end with Bike Sure all mods replaced like for like. :thumb:

Offline Vstom Taz

• Bike: 2015 Vstrom 650
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 22:02:45 »
Just had my renewal through from Bennetts.

Bike is garaged overnight, but due to this there is a clause.

And even though it is genuinely small print, it is a rather large clause.

Quote "You have agreed that you will keep your vehicle in your private locked garage or building at your home address to which only you and anyone with your permission have access. If a theft or attempted theft of your vehicle happens within a 500 metre radius of your home address when the vehicle is not locked in this garage or building we will not pay the claim. This restriction does not apply to any loss or damage occurring whilst your motorcycle is parked away from your home during the course of a journey"

So give them a call to clarify and ask "If I return from a ride out park on my drive, go into the house to open my garage (because it is locked from the inside) and the bike is stolen then you won't pay out?"

Bennetts "That is correct"

Won't be giving my money to a company that uses such underhand tactics to wheedle out of a claim.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 22:17:51 »
Please post an update on here when you find insurance without that clause as in my experience they all say that or something very similar. I agree with your expression of disgust at their deep stupidity and unreasonable conditions.

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 22:49:31 »
Yep, my policy has that clause too, but then the previous one had it too. As Brockett said, find one that doesn't. Insurance is a captive audience. You have to have it, so they make sure it benefits them as much as possible. I suppose it is intended to a) stop you leaving the keys in the bike while you just pop in to unlock the garage and b) stop people claiming that it is in a locked garage overnight to get a cheaper premium, when in fact it isn't.

Offline Freddyfruitbat

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 00:23:57 »
These conditions tend to vary, presumably depending on how thievy your neighbourhood is.

My current policy (Brightside), which won't let me copy-and-paste the relevant boilerplate, says basically that they won't cover me against theft from home between 10pm and 7am unless the bike's locked in the garage; which actually seems reasonable to me.

I looked at the wording on my previous policy (Hastings) and found four separate endorsement clauses about garaging; they tell you in your policy schedule which endorsement applies to you (in my case it was clause 18 - the least unpleasant one I think):

14 Garaging warranty
Your insurer has accepted your insurance on condition that your motorcycle is kept overnight in a locked and secured garage. Failure to comply with this condition may mean your insurer will refuse to deal with any claim arising from your motorcycle being maliciously damaged, lost or stolen.
15 Garaging Warranty - (Increased Excess)
Your insurer has accepted your insurance on condition that your motorcycle is kept overnight in a locked and secured garage if your motorcycle is in the vicinity of your home address. Failure to comply with this condition will mean that the excess for each claim made under section 2 of your policy for theft or attempted theft will be increased to £500.
17 Garaging Warranty - (Excluding claims under Section 2)
Your insurer will not pay for any claim under section 2 for loss or damage by theft or attempted theft when the insured motorcycle is parked at the insured’s permanent place of residence and/or the declared garaging address, unless your motorcycle is kept in a properly constructed and locked garage.
18 Garaged Motorcycle Clause - (Increased Excess)
You have agreed that you will keep your motorcycle in a locked garage or building either at your home address or at the address declared to us when your motorcycle is not being used. If a theft or attempted theft of your motorcycle occurs within a 500 metre radius of your home address or the garaging address when the motorcycle is not in a locked garage or building, your insurer will double the compulsory excess.

One solution to the issue is of course simply not to declare that you have a garage at all, and then decide whether the resulting higher premium is worth paying for.  I think it only made about £15 a year difference to me.   Similarly, I certainly don't declare the use of my disk lock when out and about - it makes bugger all difference to the premium but I would no doubt get shafted if I did declare it, and the bike got nicked the one time I forgot to use the lock...

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 08:49:33 »
That's the exact reason I don't declare my disc locks too. Can you imagine popping in to pay for petrol and your bike getting nicked, only for your insurer to say 'well you didn't put your disc lock on...'

Offline Graham62

• Bike: DL650 K6 Blue
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 09:08:18 »
Mine has the garage clause that it's stolen within 500 metres from the garage it's double the excess. That's with bike sure.
A drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

Graham

Offline hotbulb

• Bike: DL650 L4
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 09:24:20 »
I've concluded that all insurers are crooks....it's just that some are even more crooked than others!
If they can find any devious way to worm out of paying out on a claim, they'll go for it.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 10:05:15 »
Why are they crooks when it's written in your policy; you've declared you have a lock-up and you haven't put your bike away?   :shrug:

Just asking.........  :stirpot:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline Vstom Taz

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 21:47:03 »
Quick quote from Hastings, not garaged but left on the drive.

Guess what........................... same price as if it was garaged!!!!!!!!!!

This doesn't make any sense, but will probably be the way I go.

Knowing how this lot work they probably won't pay out if I put it in the garage and said I was leaving it on the drive  lol

Offline Brockett

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 21:56:25 »
fingers crossed your garage doesn't burn down with the bike inside . lol. they won't pay out you know!!

Offline Vstom Taz

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 18:02:24 »
I wouldn't be surprised at that.  :)

End result after phoning the insurance company is 28pence cheaper if I leave the bike on the drive and not in the garage!!!!.

Not a lot of incentive to try and protect your bike from theft really.  :icon_exclaim:

Any ways half the price of elsewhere so Happy for another year.  :grin:

Offline falkland bomber

• Bike: Kawasaki Versy's 1000 Grand Tourer
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 19:09:54 »
Old nugget but like TP had my bike a year insured with Bennett's
guess what? they wanted nearly £200 more considering no accidents or convictions went on line they had it cheaper but couldn't match the price.

So went on the search one well known search site had this company One Call at half the price £375 read all it was identical to Bennett's so dis a search again just to make sure with Asda same company One Call £55 cheaper how is that possible any way happy biker.
Old Bald Soldier

Offline Freddyfruitbat

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 20:03:36 »
Not motor insurance, but travel insurance...
I had an annual policy last year, to cover me on tours to Europe; and had the misfortune to have to make a fairly heavy claim on the policy last August, for medical expenses and repatriation (the remnants of the bike came back in a van  :bawl:).
This morning I received an email asking me to renew the policy... this will be interesting, I thought.   But the premium was.... reduced by 14%  :crazy:

Offline hotbulb

• Bike: DL650 L4
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 10:10:28 »
I've just renewed mine.....
As you do, I asked for their "best" price, and answered a few questions.  When did I get the bike as their record said 2007, although the bike is a 14 plate(!)? I confirmed I got it in 2017. - They must have known this as it was a new policy when I changed the bike, and clearly I couldn't have bought a 2014 bike in 2007. Putting this (their mistake) right apparently put up the premium by about £25  :roll: ...... although, very generously they would honour the original quoted price!

In the end I did stay with the same company - I've had cars insured with them over many years and always found their prices to be very competitive and the service good (at least in comparison with other insurers)........but it's done nothing to convince me that the insurance business is anything other than a bunch of crooks who have us over a barrel.  :old: