Author Topic: Another money making scheme  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Holmsey

• Bike: DL650 L9
Another money making scheme
« on: June 08, 2019, 13:14:25 »
Our glorious mayor will probably introduce in London first as soon as it is available.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48564995
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: Another money making scheme
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 16:16:31 »
That's me getting heavily fined then.  :bawl:

I don't even know where the baffle for the GSX is anymore.

Ride Coordinator

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 17:28:11 »
There's a law against excessive noise, so no prob in trying to enforce it...
Those illegally modding usually have other naughty things going on that plod could usefully check out too.
If you like noisy pipes so much, go and live under the Heathrow flight path...

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 18:34:08 »
It used to be an MoT issue years ago and if you fitted non standard systems they had to have appropriate certification numbers stamped on them. You could even buy a certification plate off Ebay and pop-rivet onto you exhaust, which of course fooled no one. However this requirement was dropped from MoT testing and it's now up to the discretion of the tester, which of course most ignore. Even more years ago our local police bike patrolman used to carry a flexible tape measure and stick it up your exhausts if you were making too much noise. He managed 36" on my Goldstar and found nothing. Told me put a proper silencer on which of course I complied with...... not. 

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 19:20:53 »
Anti-noise generators, as used on helicopter rotors.

Offline SimStrom

• Bike: DL650 K7, 2016 Triumph Bonneville T120, 2011 BMW R1200RT, GasGas 200TXT, 2016 BMW R1200GS
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 19:46:42 »
Just another revenue making scheme.
This message was sent from my 650's on'board computer system

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 20:26:40 »
I wonder how this would be enforced? You get caught slightly above the legal noise, get a fine and appeal by which time any baffle has been reinserted and the bike comes in just under the legal limit... I'm sure there'll be solicitors like Mr Loophole loving this.

There's a US company that was selling 'Peacemaker' exhausts for cruisers years ago which had a switch on the handlebars to open/close a valve within the exhausts to reduce noise in towns or at anti-social times. I can see bike manufacturers adopting this if not already (like car manufacturers have)

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 20:37:50 »
When I worked in a bike dealership there was a bike that came out of the workshop, along the side of the  sales floor and out the door.
My desk vibrated and I was 40ft from the workshop and further from the entrance.
I was the first to comment on how loud the bike was and my desk vibrating.
Others joined in the comments saying things like "that bike should get quieter exhausts, way too loud"  ect.
To which we all agreed.

The tech who was riding that bike came up to my desk, handed me the key and the MOT certificate
"Lovery sound to that bike" he said. "But you need to give it a good clean when you get home"

:shy:

This camera thing won't stop much anyway.
Usually the super noisey bikes will be race rep bikes with number plates the size of postage stamps that cameras won't be able to read.
Boy racers in done-up Novas usually illegal sizing, spacing and non reflective lettering on their plates. So again, won't show squat on the camera.

Ride Coordinator

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 09:47:29 »
However this requirement was dropped
Not really the MOT tester's discretion any more as any exhaust louder than OEM is a fail.
I turn away most Harley's theses days , the owners are not happy as most of them say "but I bought it from the dealers brand new like this..!"

I reply by telling them it didn't come off the assembly line making that racket ...  lol

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 10:35:56 »
What about aftermarket systems that have an EU certificate? I have a full Arrow system on my bike that is supplied with a cert of compliance but the silencer is a damn sight louder than stock. Has the market in replacement exhausts just been decimated at a stroke?
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 11:26:23 »
The decibel level at which these things are activated is "yet to be decided".
Jay Leno had the answer years ago on Top Gear, talking about speed cameras: "Why don't you just shoot them out?"

(For the purposes blah bah, I am not advocating blah blah blah.)

Offline Skiddy

• Bike: Suzuki DL1000 L5 Harley Davidson XR1200 BMW R1100S
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2019, 11:54:29 »
For MOT purposes there's no problem with aftermarket exhausts as long as its not any louder than a standard system in average condition.
MOT testers are getting a lot of stick about this but DVSA will come down hard on any tester and the station they work at for not complying with the regulations.
I know some testers are refusing to test certain bikes for fear of any hassle but that in itself is a serious disciplinary matter if caught.
Due to changes to the MOT over the last couple of years and the adoption of the EU system last year its no wonder testers are seeking alternative employment.
Until the DVSA issue every MOT Station with a noise meter and proper training and a db limit to work with how the hell can it be a fair test.
Its been estimated that over 90% of an American manufacturers machines would fail a proposed noise limit using the highest limit used by UK track days.

:dl_soapbox:

Offline Hugo Magnus

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: DL650A L3, DR-Z400s Multistrada 1260ST
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2019, 13:18:50 »
Rumour has it that the police are using drones to catch speeding vehicles in the southampton area. Any truth in this Holmsey?
The interruptions ARE the journey  (Ted Simon)

Ride Coordinator

Offline Holmsey

• Bike: DL650 L9
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2019, 13:41:30 »
Quote removed

I will neither confirm or deny this rumour.....
You will have to excuse me as I'm studying for my drone pilot's licence  :whistle:

Seriously I don't know about that, but with the state of our IT I don't that idea getting of the ground.
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 13:49:16 »

lol
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2019, 14:35:42 »
What about aftermarket systems

Your exhaust maybe OK for across the channel but unfortunately its all down to noise levels in the UK. Skiddy is correct, any aftermarket silencer/exhausts are excepted but if its any louder than OEM its a fail.
The bureaucracy regarding MOT's is crazy to the point where people are quitting because the DVSA are putting a lot of discretionary responsibilities on the MOT tester.

Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2019, 19:00:44 »
Does this mean that knife crime has stopped, does this mean that motorcycle theft has ended and also mobile phone usage in vehicles has been eliminated?

It would also appear then that every driver now has passed the test for the vehicle that they're driving, every driver now has insurance and isn't smacked out of their heads on drugs or drink.

I didn't think so. :thumb:
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 17:48:40 »
Oh Ballcocks  :dl_soapbox:

So doubt my recently fitted "road legal" Delkevic system will pass an MOT then...
Apart from being shiny, I fitted it so I could be better heard in traffic / filtering etc...
From a safety point of view the Glee is too quiet standard IMO.

May your God go with you...
(Dave Allen)