Author Topic: A friendly request  (Read 20081 times)

Offline loggamatt

Re: A friendly request
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2013, 09:16:50 »
Hehe... Personally (though, I am just a loyal citizen of v-strom world... Not an evil mod overlord :) ) I look at it like this... If it is obvious what post I'm replying to (usually, the previous one) then I don't quote. If it isn't, I quote the specific bit of the post that I'm commenting about, not the whole post.

I don't see any problem with a little light quoting, it's when people quote whole posts which quote other whole posts which quote other whole posts etc that it gets a bit messy!

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2013, 11:33:53 »
We have a huge forum with lots of people reading it. The value of a good quote is wasted if everyone quotes everyone else instead of just replying to posts. The real thing I'm trying to promote here is readability of the entire forum. Having to scroll past endless quotes makes that 'easy reading' experience a PITA, try doing that on a tablet or mobile phone: swipe, swipe, swipe, some more swipe, swipe, swipe and swipe again...

Search results are another thing, when you search it shows you all the posts that your search terms are in. When everyone keeps quoting what the previous bugger said you end up with search results returning multiple posts instead of just the original post. There is a reason needless quoting is considered bad forum etiquette.

You can take the piss all you like, but the endless "cleaning" up of needless quotes that I do is making your forum reading a better experience. Most of the time I don't even put the edit message at the bottom :)

This isn't the only thing we do, some mods can't help themselves and are correcting spelling and punctuation as they go along :)

Sometimes we wonder why we bother with it all, but we like it here so we are trying to keep it likeable for the vast majority. Do your part, use Post Reply, please.

ps. See I asked nicely, I said "please"  :grin:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2013, 11:39:27 »
Pictures are another thing as well... if people quote posts that link to loads of images you suddenly have to see all the images again, then again if someone else quotes it, and so on and so on...

So much as the banter is all good, Juvecu is actually right about this I think :)

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2013, 11:42:50 »
Your Moderator Team are spending a significant amount of time tidying up posts, correcting spelling, correcting grammar and fixing Youtube links and photo's that don't work correctly. In doing this we make the forum easier to read and the search function work more effectively.

If you want to quote (and it will be helpful for any subsequent readers), then just quote the relevant line rather than the whole post, and don't quote a quote.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2013, 11:58:37 »
Look at it like how you would talk normally...

You might say, "my mate Bob said that V-Stroms are rubbish, so I told him that actually they're amazing and all the cooIest people ride them and stuff..."

You wouldn't say, "the other day, my mate Bob said hello and asked how I was. I replied that I was fine and asked how he was. He told me that he was generally OK, but ate a dodgy curry the previous night and he was feeling a little ill. I asked what kind of curry and he told me it was a lamb bhuna. After this, Bob noticed my helmet and asked what I ride, so I informed him that it was a V-Strom. He then said that V-Stroms are rubbish, so I told him that actually they're amazing and all the coyest people ride them and stuff... We then talked about the weather..."

In other words, only quote relevant bits if your post wouldn't be clear otherwise. Simples :)

Offline neltek

• Bike: V-Strom 650 GT 2010
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2013, 12:46:26 »
So the quoting request seems obvious and sensible  :thumb:

Interested that mods are correcting spelling and grammar!!!
I am a stickler for spelling and grammar normally but surely if someone wants to post slang and other stuff, it is their post and they own the content (unless it breaks a rule e.g. profanity)?  :shrug:

Hmm, as I say, interesting...
 :shock:
V-Strom 650 GT

ex:
SV650 K6
MZ301
Gilera DNA

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bike: CRF1000 Africa Twin
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2013, 12:50:27 »
Just a thought but this might help?  :shrug:

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=19170
I Go Down any Road There is, To see what's Around The Bend - Joe Bonamassa

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 161e9.html

Offline Descolada

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2013, 12:59:13 »
OK, point taken. No more using the 'quote' unless it is to highlight a specific comment.

.... but this is OK, right?  :neen:

Warning: No quotation was harmed in the making of this reply.  :shock:

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2013, 13:12:59 »
Quote from: "loggamatt"
Look at it like how you would talk normally...

You might say, "my mate Bob said that V-Stroms are rubbish, so I told him that actually they're amazing and all the cooIest people ride them and stuff..."

You wouldn't say, "the other day, my mate Bob said hello and asked how I was. I replied that I was fine and asked how he was. He told me that he was generally OK, but ate a dodgy curry the previous night and he was feeling a little ill. I asked what kind of curry and he told me it was a lamb bhuna. After this, Bob noticed my helmet and asked what I ride, so I informed him that it was a V-Strom. He then said that V-Stroms are rubbish, so I told him that actually they're amazing and all the coyest people ride them and stuff... We then talked about the weather..."

In other words, only quote relevant bits if your post wouldn't be clear otherwise. Simples :)

Get Well Soon Bob.

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2013, 13:29:37 »
Just noticed that autocorrect has led me to claim that only the coyest people ride V-Stroms. I'm not convinced this claim is accurate though :)

Hopefully a mod will change the spelling and fix it  :grin:

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2013, 13:46:50 »
Coy V-Strom riders, classic! lol That's the kind of thing we'd specifically leave unchanged :grin:

We don't fix every spelling/grammar mistake. Just the ones that annoy us more than others and depending on the mood we're in :) We're just people and not perfect either, I make plenty of mistakes, typos and grammar faults. My excuse is that English is my 2nd language, what's yours? :neen:

When posts have lots of ..... and ,,,,, stuck in between words, no capitals and are seemingly one long "sentence" then I feel like I've been sentenced to some punishment. I usually just skip these posts and read what the next person had to say. Having a capital letter at the start of a sentence, a period at the end of it and commas where a pause is needed is something that's universal in just about every language.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2013, 13:48:09 »
A period?

I prefer properly constructed sentences and correct grammar. This trend of just belching out one word after another until they've finished, leaving the reader to decipher the list of words and create meaningful communication is a little lost on me. Especially when you consider that, even during English exams, school kids can't be marked down for it. So what can they be marked down for? Is the obvious question.

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2013, 13:50:10 »
A period is the time of the month when mods get really grouchy and fix all our spelling...  :grin:

(also, it's a full stop in American-English)

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2013, 14:16:19 »
Is it not called a period in real English?  :shrug: In South African English we usually call it a a full stop, although period would be acceptable too.

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2013, 23:10:50 »
Why not remove the "Quote" button altogether and just let everyone copy and paste the relevant parts they want to reply to, just a thought.  :)
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2013, 23:13:15 »
Because then some people wouldn't know how to reply to posts :neen:

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2013, 23:52:31 »
Or make the "Post reply" button bigger and flashing  lol
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23

Offline loggamatt

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2013, 11:16:59 »
Or, when you click the 'quote' button have it take you to a picture of Juvecu looking threatening, possibly holding a baseball bat, and an 'are you sure?' button below it :)

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2013, 11:30:56 »
Quote from: "loggamatt"
Or, when you click the 'quote' button have it take you to a picture of Juvecu looking threatening, possibly holding a baseball bat, and an 'are you sure?' button below it :)
+1

Ride Coordinator

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2013, 12:11:09 »
Instead of post whore of the month, maybe there should be a "who's quoted Juvecu the most listing".  :grin: