Author Topic: What have you done with your V-Strom today?  (Read 1226105 times)

Rudolph Hart and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: What have you done with your V-Strom today?
« Reply #12240 on: May 01, 2024, 18:50:18 »
What no garage syringes to hand 😉.
I always keep a couple lying about for topping up tricky to access fluids. They also allow draining the header reservoir before bleeding to reduce the amount that needs pushing through. Although it sounds like yours needed using up 🤣

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #12241 on: May 02, 2024, 13:08:13 »
500ml is definitely enough if you subscribe to the year shelf life theory (in a sealed bottle).

I've still got some left after 3 bikes bled through (granted, 2 have drum rears).

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #12242 on: May 02, 2024, 20:40:10 »
Finally some warmth!!! Was a lovely ride tonight around Ullswater, stopped for a quick photo by the ferry  :)

Suzuki DL650 Blue K5 (2005) V-Strom

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #12243 on: May 03, 2024, 07:39:29 »
Had a ride over to Liverpool and back yesterday for work. Bike claimed it was 25c when I left Liverpool - lovely to have some warmth. Going over the Pennines, the temperature went down to 17c before  stopping at 15c by the time I got home - almost made me wish I'd left the heated jacket on.
Think I need to adjust the chain as gear changes were a bit clunky.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #12244 on: May 04, 2024, 09:54:08 »
Early 5:30 start,no destination in mind,just glad to watch the morning unfold as the sun burns through,even if the road is still wet.
Should really be doing chores this morning,the goldfish needs dusting and the telly needs an oil change,but  :shrug:.
An hour and a half and 75 miles later I park up at the Old Market Place in kings Lynn.
Nobody about,so go in search of breakfast.Only places open were Greggs and Costa/Starbucks/McDonalds , so leave it, my stomach has standards  :grin:.
Decide to head to Hunstanton down the coast in search of brekky, but turns out that road is now under average speed cameras, so bin it off. Pull over and set the Beeline to home in compass mode and take the next right to who knows?. Half an hour later I spot a village I know and head home.Glad I had the Beeline recording the route 'cos that was a road I'm going to look at again when dry.
Home by 9:30 ,150 miles done and thinking about brekky.

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #12245 on: May 04, 2024, 10:26:12 »
Thanks Nigel.
Nice sun, please send some to moi.
Plus I didn't know there were two in a day! You live and.......forget.
Upt.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #12246 on: May 04, 2024, 10:55:47 »
Sun duly sent your way Upt North.......should  hopefully arrive in about 5/6 weeks :grin:. You know how the post is.
I have always been a morning person,  ask me my middle name after 9pm and you may have a wait :icon_wink:

Ho Hum

Offline Gillie76

• Bike: DL650A K9
« Reply #12247 on: May 04, 2024, 13:17:12 »
Nice one Nigel, that's what it's all about! 👍😃

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #12248 on: May 04, 2024, 17:25:19 »
Well done Nigel 👍 sounded brilliant 👊
I used to do things like that when I was a single man 🤣

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #12249 on: May 05, 2024, 07:50:17 »
Top shock, from my K6 Wee which had a leaking oil seal, so I replaced the damaged shock with a used shock from a Vee.
The Vee shock is slightly longer. The only downside that I noticed thus far is that the rear wheel ground clearance, when on the center stand, is less than before with the orignal shock.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #12250 on: May 05, 2024, 14:24:54 »
 Nice run into Ipswich today, and had to explain to some very happy smiley people that my top was Suzuki blue.
 NOT Ipswich town FC blue .
 Fair play to them.

M.O.T.

Ho Hum

Online Upt North

« Reply #12251 on: May 05, 2024, 16:22:29 »
Gert,
That spring looks firmer to me, although I'm no expert at guessing spring firminess. Although if it's offa 1000 I spose it would be.
Is this an accepted update or are you a trendsetter.
On my old BeaST I found fitting the ABS rear damper unit gave much better ride and handling. It was beefed up by Honda to cope with ABS duties.
Good work fella.
Upt.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #12252 on: May 06, 2024, 07:56:32 »
No, not a trendsetter, it was simple pricing economics. On this side of the pond, a new replacement shock would have cost almost half the bike's resale value.
Yes, the Vee shock is a lot firmer plus about 5mm longer than the 650 shock. The Vee has one extra spring coil.
At the moment, the shock's damping is set as per the Vee service manual, but the preload sag is set below the standard 2 mark, for now. Will re-adjust the preload if deemed necessary.

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #12253 on: May 06, 2024, 13:41:36 »
Rode to the breakfast club at Goodwood. Lovely ride there, but place rammed so couldn’t get a full english from the cafe. Helped out a bloke with a soft from tyre as I carry a compressor, but parked my bike up with parking lights on, so needed a bump start to get it going. Battery was replaced in 2018 before big trip, so although it tests OK this is not the first instance of issues, so new battery ordered from M&P

Offline nigel s

« Reply #12254 on: May 06, 2024, 14:12:26 »
Went to have a poke around at the church in Volcanic Browns vid.
It is indeed in the middle of nowhere,a lovely spot.
When setting the Beeline to take me there as I entered St Marys it brought up another church that was on that road from Saturdays early run so I set that up too and the "fast" run from one to the other looked interesting so I tried that.
Glad I did ,the ride between  churches was great it had a bit of everything ,fast and flowing,tight and nadgery, a well slippy ford ,Armed Cops........(I went past Sandringham, not sure if Charlie was in. I thought of stopping and taking a pic of the cops but they get a bit angsty about that :icon_wink:) and mostly no idea where I was .......perfect.
200 miles in 5 and a half hours is not quick, more a reflection of the type of road it was.

Online Upt North

« Reply #12255 on: May 08, 2024, 17:34:20 »
First proper ride of the year, up to North Berwick on The Firth of Forth. Then across country through The Borders. 68 of your f's and blummin lovely.
Er'Indoors even smiled.....I know!
Upt.

Online Upt North

« Reply #12256 on: May 08, 2024, 17:36:03 »
Forgot to say....
The modification to the Givi bars has worked, totally vibe free ride.
Hoorah.
Upt.

Offline Fritz

• Bike: DL650 K9
Shelf fitment, a different sort of DIY
« Reply #12257 on: May 08, 2024, 18:00:12 »
Fitted the shelf previously bought on here, nice bit of kit but (as many things I find on the wee) a total PITA*. Bolts in impossible places then couldn't find me 8mm ring spanner for love or money  :whistle: neighbour being a kindly mechanic sorted that.

Now I need to get some bling to fill the holes...and finally try to find out why the heated grips have stopped working

* If I removed the fairing and all the cable is would have been a doddle  :roll:

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #12258 on: May 09, 2024, 16:07:47 »
I knew it was going to be sunny today and as Thursday is my day off from equine duties, I planned a round trip into Wales.

First was a run over the Severn Bridge to Chepstow and from there through the twisties to Usk, then off towards Abergavenny but turning left onto the A4042 for breakfast at Baffle Haus. To my surprise the place was rammed with hardly any parking spaces in the large bike park.

Breakfast looked great and tasted fine but was not nearly hot enough. I think because of the high number of visitors, they had pre cooked a lot of food and the only thing that was freshly cooked was the egg.... but I've eaten worse (Cal Mac ferries ten years ago anyone?).

From Baffle Haus I skirted Abergavenny and headed to the Gospel Pass, which, as always, was amazing, helped by the fact many of the ponies have recent foaled.... CUTE!

From the pass I headed down into Hay-on-Wye, then off towards Hereford, turning right before I got to the city and heading to Monmouth. From there down the Wye Valley through Tintern and back to Chepstow.

Onto the dreaded motorway, back over the Severn Bridge and battled round Bristol back to W-s-M.

All but 170 miles and every single one of them on dry roads.... glorious.  :sunny:
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #12259 on: May 09, 2024, 16:36:28 »
Nice ride that......must get down to Southern Wales again.