Author Topic: Brake & Clutch fluid:  (Read 1400 times)

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
Brake & Clutch fluid:
« on: April 14, 2019, 10:44:46 »
Morning all
I’m in the process of purchasing a “Veek” 1000 (hope I’ve got the terminology right I’m new to the site).
It’s a 2017 DL1000 and it was the dealers demo bike having covered only 240 miles (can’t have been that popular). Anyway, it’ll be 2 years old sometime in May (this is important).
I’m paying top dollar for this bike because it looks like new so not much wiggle room, they’ve given me some discount on a new lid and minimised labour costs for some extras I’ve requested.
Now, I haven’t ridden or owned a bike for over 35 years but I do know that brake and clutch fluid needs changing every two years on a car. I can’t think why this would be different on a bike (water absorbtiion, corrosion, etc.).
I’m insisting this takes place or the deals off, but the dealer who’s been playing ball up to now claims it’s not always required especially on a bike that’s lived inside the showroom with minimal mileage.
To me paying through the nose = You have permission to kiss my backside within reason. Am I being a dick insisting on the fluid changes or is the dealer whiter than the driven snow.
What do you reckon blokes & girls?
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: Brake & Clutch fluid:
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 10:54:43 »
With those miles, showroom kept I would not be concerned.

Offline Megashorts

• Bike: DL1000A L4
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 11:14:44 »
You can get a little electronic tool that measures water content in brake fluid for less than £10 on Amazon/ebay etc. If you don't trust it you can put a little water in a sample of fluid to test it. I bought a unused pre reg bike a couple of years old to keep my 1000 company. The dealer showed me on a tester my fluid was OK. It also had not had any heat as the brakes hadn't been used no had any uv exposure as had been inside. I was happy with it. I changed the fluid myself after I'd had it a year.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 18:02:58 »
Without the tester, a rough guide is look at the colour of the fluid in the reservoirs, then look at new fluid - if the fluid in the bike is significantly darker then it's needing changed.
However, if Suzuki say replace every 2 years, if they're saying it's got a full service history, then it has to be changed. Partial service records & things missed are what they'd knock you down for as a trade in so it works both ways. Can't say full history if they've not completed it....
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline STORMY

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 23:01:31 »
Thanks for the feedback, I’m fairly sure the fluids are serviceable for another 12 months. Apparently the bike is ready for collection once I cough up the cash which means they have already serviced it. If the fluids were changed then the salesmen would’ve volunteered that information immediately, so I’m waiting for the inevitable oh the fluids were fine blah blah. So maybe I’ll buy a tester as suggested and check it myself (good idea).

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 20:14:48 »
It'll be alreet! Hoses need replacing at 4 years, according to the service schedule - nobody will be doing that on their bikes, I suspect.
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 05:51:01 »
A fluid change is a simple job. If you're happy with the bike but have any doubts about the fluid then why not do it yourself? Under an hour to do and you'll know for sure that it's been done.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 08:09:08 »
Hoses need replacing at 4 years, according to the service schedule.

The 30 year old ones on my SP3 were still happily functional.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline STORMY

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 17:23:09 »
Just a quick update, apparently the bike was serviced back in November (now they tell me), and they’ve checked the fluids and according to the dealer it’s all good. They won’t be servicing it for obvious reasons so I’m not bothered now I know this.
Thank you all for the suggestions and advice, and once it’s clear of warranty I’ll take on the servicing myself, looks fairly straightforward.
My biggest problem right now is finding the time to ride the bloody thing home, being self employed has it disadvantages sometimes.