Author Topic: Phone Holder - Recommendations  (Read 456 times)

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
Re: Phone Holder - Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2024, 19:06:26 »
I took delivery of the Ultimateaddons kit today, my son is now the proud beneficiary of it.

I have a Samsung A33, so I needed the XL case…..and it’s big. I didn’t even try to fully fit it as it dwarfed my TomTom satnav. Iwould have had to have it longitudinal all the time, and I didn’t like the crowded look. I also held it as if I mounted it on my mirror arm…. no thanks.

I tried but failed….. for which my son is truly grateful.🙁

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2024, 19:09:34 »
Ah yes, finding space for phone and Sat Nav is tricky and heads up Sat Nav is too nice not to have. I have a tanklock bag with the phone window on the top for if I really need the phone visible. Can't say as I've used it much but it's an option.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2024, 07:34:18 »
That is the slight problem with the larger phones.

I now use my older and much smaller S7 to run maps mounted above the dash and the newer and bigger A54 in my pocket running as a moblie hotspot.

A word of warning, mounting the phone in landscape and plugged is could cause the connection to fry if plugged in and raining whitch led to the demise of my much loved S10.
I now only mount the phones portrait.

Ride Coordinator

Offline graingerblaze

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2024, 10:43:32 »
I love my QuadLock, mounts my iPhone securely in either portrait or landscape, has navigation and all my music in one place. Plus, I twist and go and have the same mount in my car, cheaper than multiple bits of kit plus nothing left on the bike to steal. 😊
Suzuki DL650 Blue K5 (2005) V-Strom

Offline AdvntureSi

• Bike: DL1000 AL4, Varadero 1000, Bandit 1200, RG250 Gamma MK3
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2024, 23:14:47 »
I Got to ask..
If you have the tom tom.. why do you need the phone on the dash too?? 

Just my thoughts on phones on bikes..(or in cars)
If I am out on my bike I don't want to be answering phone calls..  (I rarely do in the car)
If I want navigation a phone isn't the best screen to be looking at..
(Get a Sat Nav... Of whatever flavour you fancy..) personally I will be buying the new Beeline Moto 2 (shame I can't get one before I leave on my euro road trip)
Phones seem to get rattled to bits even with so called "dampers"... Pee wet through etc etc...
In the event of "an off" the phone may be a distance from you/smashed/in a hedge.... At least in your inside pocket it stands a chance of survival
Oh.. music...  Make a play list and leave it on..  (seems most headset/intercoms have buttons to mute etc..  )
Easy to be distracted and walk away from your bike with it still in public view....

When I am on the bike I just want to get away from it all...  I don't want more distractions..
The only thing I really would like is the Beeline... And the phone can stay in my pocket for that. and at £200, the cost of the £100 mount is half way there.. 
Just my thoughts....

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2024, 05:18:59 »
Hi AdventureSi,
I have a Beeline,and it is great( well since it has had updates and stops freezing it is ) I use it mostly in compass mode,just to keep me in round about the right direction  :icon_wink: on my wanders.Not found another satnav that does this,but could be wrong, not really looked too hard  :shrug:. The beeline app is soooo easy to use ,setting way points is a doddle. And it pops in my pocket unnoticed when off the bike .
I also have the ultimate addons case ,but that lives mostly in my tail pack next to my old dumb phone(as back up,always seems to get a signal) and use the case for google maps and Sygic (Sygic works without a  phone signal /data connection ) You would be suprised how many out of the way places in the UK you cannot get a signal still.
I don't use a head set, not found a need to,and would not listen to music anyway on the bike,as you say too distracting.
Just as a heads up Beeline now has the option of voice prompts (with a subscription).I won't get it, I think.
Having got used to the beeline saying turn left 1.5 miles ahead ( or whatever ) over the last couple of years, I have got really good at judging distance with the practise, so don't find no voice prompts a problem.

Offline AdvntureSi

• Bike: DL1000 AL4, Varadero 1000, Bandit 1200, RG250 Gamma MK3
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2024, 12:44:53 »
Nice one Nigel..   cheers. 

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2024, 17:37:56 »
Quick update,
Beeline Plus........,voice prompts ,is £35 a year. ....Bit steep.
But you can get it for £4 for a month with the first month free , so two months for £4, and cancel any time , no contract..
Get it for a big trip and  then cancel it ?  :shrug: