Author Topic: OK, I bought one. Sigh.  (Read 6264 times)

Offline chris1200

• Bike: 2008 V Strom 650.
OK, I bought one. Sigh.
« on: June 06, 2016, 09:25:32 »
Before ANYONE says anything, no my bike will never see the inside of this tent. Ever. I suspect it would die of shame if I ever trundled it into the so called bike compartment. There again I will put one caveat on that statement, if its pouring down and I need to fix something on said bike I will push it in. Right, now that's taken care of I will carry on.
Main reason for buying it is because my dear girlfriend has put up with spending countless nights in a Vango Banshee 300 without complaint, but it's the getting dressed in the morning. I am just so fed up of the fight....
I got it for £100 and had convinced myself it would fit in a side pannier.....then maybe the top box. Within two seconds of opening the bag it came in I knew it would fit in neither. It was bloody huge! Just one of the groundsheets was bigger then my Banshee. Fortunately I had a waterproof 65lt holdall kicking about and it slips in there with ease along with both sleeping bags, sleeping pads, and most of our other camping gear. This then takes the place of the top box so in effect we actually have a bit more spare storage capacity.
Bearing in mind I hate faffing and my whole life is based on the concept of being a minimalist this tent is a huge departure for me. I just spent a month camping/touring Spain and Portugal and everything fitted in the top box just to give you some idea.
Anyway, the tent.
Solo it takes 15 minutes of grunting pulling and pushing to set up totally and 15 mins of the same to take down. It's a cheaper version of it's previous incarnations having fibreglass poles (heavy) and not quite as good ground sheet material. The whole tent weighs 9.5 kg but I have no intention of carrying the thing more then ten feet so that isn't really a concern. For one person it really feels like major overkill but for two on an extended tour (we are doing the Pyrenees, France, and Italy in a couple of weeks) I think it might just stop a few arguments and deliberate elbows in the groin area. And you can stand up to put your pants on! (I have always lived "Commando" so doing this outside was only rarely an option).  I must admit I don't know if I would trust it in a major thunderstorm but that's what hotels are for. The main downside for me is because she flies out (she even throws up on a roundabout) I have to lug this thing over there and use it before we meet up....and on the way back. I am beginning to miss my Banshee already........sigh.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
Re: OK, I bought one. Sigh.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 12:15:31 »
I bought the same tent when they called it the Turini 200 in light grey.
Great tent for 2. Drinkies in the 'garage' for 4 when raining.
Overkill for one, so then I take my Spirit 200+

I find you have to mess around when pegging it down or you'll have massive gaps at the bottom that the wind blows through.
Make sure you get the footprint to protect the groundsheet a bit more. Only have to wash the footprint when home and it's in its own bag.

We've spent a few weeks at a time in the tent now and really like it.

It does fit in one of our Givi V47 top boxes.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/d29l1s3r3n4lao5/AAByU761A2Uj40PFexLUw3dTa

Ride Coordinator

Offline chris1200

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 12:52:04 »
Yeah, yours is the better made one ma mate but they never had any of those. You are right about fine tuning the gaps, first time I put it up you could ride the bike through them! I can actually fit it in my top box with a bit of planning but my short term memory is awful and can imagine standing in a field one day not being able to remember how the hell to get everything back on the bike! Glad you give it the thumbs up. My impulse buys can sometimes....well most times..... be my downfall.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 15:23:21 »
Oh yeah.
The lightweight pegs are made of cheese. Buy a couple of packs of steel ones.

Ride Coordinator

Offline chris1200

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 16:17:11 »
Laughing, there's nothing lightweight about mine, steel pegs were included.

Offline Flanners

• Bike: 15 DL1000 99 Daytona 955i 05 GSXR1000
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 18:23:07 »
Looks nice, but I thought the weight and pitch time penalty wasn't worth the hassle/extra dosh, so I bought a Vango Omega 350 (for two of us) circa 5kg with a nice big porch and sleeping area; ample room for gear and to eat in in inclement weather; together with a breathable cover for the bike.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 19:02:28 »
Regarding storage and remembering what goes where, once I've got all the stuff packed at home I then write a packing list and take it with me so I know exactly which case the stuff has to go back into.

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 21:48:27 »
Good idea.
But I'd forget where I'd packed the packing list.  :old:

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 21:55:54 »
 :grin: (Hard copy and file on phone.)

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 19:58:03 »
I bought this last year: http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=28015.0

5.65 kg, three person tent with excellent porch space. I didn't like the weight though and now have tent poles and tripod seats on the bike with only the tent fabric (2.75 kg) on the rack above the topbox. Topbox carries only airbed, lightweight sleeping bags and plastic items so not heavy.

Two up is a big puzzle of space available/'wardrobe' and personal kit/camping bits/weight of it all.  Recent trips this year has prioritized airbed with pump! The rest is arranginging things elsewhere......

Good idea Rusty Nuts with the 'aides-memoires'  :clap:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline romeo one

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 19:00:07 »
So Chris 1200, are you looking to sell the tent?
 :smirk:   :smirk:   :smirk:

Offline chris1200

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 13:39:08 »
Never thought about that! It's under the bed and I had forgotten I had the thing. It really is too much for a bike my mate unless you pitch it and spend a week with it set up. I might be open to offers though if you have a use for it.