Author Topic: Service tools and products  (Read 1592 times)

Offline cb1300rider

• Bike: 2005 650 VStrom, ST1100, honda c90
Service tools and products
« on: March 30, 2020, 12:56:12 »
Hello all......

It was always my intention with my DL650 to self service it, along with the other halfs CBF600.  A prolonged house move and rennovation meant I didn't touch the bikes last year.  With time now on my hands I feel its time to begin tinkering.

I have a reasonable toolkit along with a good selection products for cleaning.

What I am lacking is service type products. 
For parts, filters, fluids etc I am thinking of using Wemoto, seem to stock everything I want.

My question is, what do you blokes use for the following?

Brake bleeding?  Is there a preferred vacuum bleeder, or is the old fashioned method the best using just a piece of pipe, pump lever and hold, open nipple, close nipple, release lever and repeat?

Throttle body blance / carb sync?  Dial type gauge OK or something more sophisticated?

Lubricant for cables and pivots?  Have used 3 in 1 for cables in the past.  What is good for pivots?  Presume a good quality waterproof grease of some sort?

Brakes - What do you blokes use for caliper slider pins?

Thanks in advance
Simon

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
Re: Service tools and products
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 13:38:08 »
Brake bleeding: I have one powered off the compressor and a hand pump version - both have their places. Mostly I will just use the good tube in a container way but systems like the Guzzi rear to front one won't clear easily that way as you're trying to go from low point to low point with a big high area in between - that needs the assistance.

Cable lube: quite a few cables I've come across recently have advised against lubing so be careful.

I tend to use Moly grease for pivots & the like: partly because it's generally lying on the bike lift and also because I haven't got around to getting decent Lithium grease to replace the one I lost ages ago... I avoid Copper based greases as I have a lot of stainless bolt:aluminium casing pairings and the hierarchy of metals says that adding Copper isn't smart as it effectively makes the Aluminium a sacrificial anode. It's also widely recommended by brake manufacturers that you keep it well away from brakes as the mineral base will affect the rubber components. Ceramic brake grease is the way to go for those areas and I'll get some before the next time I'll need to in about the brakes.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Megashorts

• Bike: DL1000A L4
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 15:44:01 »
The Suzuki workshop manual details all the lubricants required for specific points around the bike. Silicon grease for some brake parts etc that won't affect the rubber bits.
The exploded parts diagrams on Fowlers website are handy and they are still mailing bits.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 15:57:15 »
Regarding throttle body balance/syncing you are more than welcome to borrow my dial type gauges unless you reeeealy want to buy some.

I can stick 'em in the post, I'm not in a rush for them back. :)
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.