Author Topic: Wee exhaust removal with belly pan - tips anyone?  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Dan J

Wee exhaust removal with belly pan - tips anyone?
« on: October 15, 2011, 17:45:35 »
In anticipation of the GPR exhaust which is on its way I started the exhaust removal attempt on my 2010 Wee X.

All bolts removed and clamps loosened.  I *just* managed to remove the front header pipe.  I'm now left with the exhaust system still attached to the rear cylinder pipe and no amount of waggling, jiggling or brute force seems to be working to remove the bloody thing  :GRR:

I have a suspicion that the belly pan bracket isn't helping my cause as the front of the muffler system runs through it and it's pretty tight.  On the X this bracket is fitted through the bottom engine mount bolt and the last thing I want to do is get into removing that just to get the exhaust off.

Anyone got any ideas?  How the hell do you get the exhaust off an X?!

Offline Iggy

Re: Wee exhaust removal with belly pan - tips anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 08:48:38 »
I had to remove the exhaust when I replaced the swinging arm bearings on my k7x and yes, the skid plate and its bracket had to come off too - otherwise you just can't lower the system enough to get it off the rear cylinder stub.

In addition to this, you need the centre stand folded up......

Iggy
Brand loyal ?  Nope - anything will do if its got two wheels and an engine !

Offline Dan J

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:45:11 »
Cheers Iggy - looks like I'll just have to suck it up and remove the skid plate mount.

Dan Davis also mentioned needing the centre stand up on his website (http://www.ddavis.co.uk/Daniels_website ... m_650.html) so point very much noted.  Strangely it's hard to see any reason why you'd need to do this but it's good to find out the easy way from people who've done it before!

Ta again, Dan

Offline Dan J

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 09:51:17 »
For the benefit of all...  here's one way to remove the exhaust / muffler from a DL650X or a Wee with the OEM Suzuki belly pan fitted.

Dan Davis gives an excellent account on how to remove the exhaust on a non belly pan bike here http://www.ddavis.co.uk/Daniels_website ... m_650.html but for those with the OEM skid plate / engine guard or whatever else it is you want to call it there's a problem.  The support bracket for this runs under the exhaust and is fixed to the bike using the lower engine mount bolt.  There was no clearance at all on mine (the exhaust in fact rubbed against it) so there is no way you can lower the exhaust from the bike with this still on.  You have an added problem that the side stand is fixed to this support bracket and you can't get the exhaust off when the bike is on its centre stand  :GRR:   I think you also need a special tool to get the right hand side undone as well though I may be wrong - either way it looks a real pain in the backside and you temporarily lose your side stand.  In fairness I don't imagine Suzuki's designers were wildly concerned with how easy this would be (or changing the valve clearances, sorting the screen to reduce buffeting, etc etc!  :angry-tappingfoot:  ).

I found a way that worked for me though.  Follow Dan's website up to the point you're ready to lower the exhaust off the bike (and leave a bolt in at the back end of the exhaust just for some support).

1) Undo both rider footpegs - they'll hang gently where they are by virtue of gear change linkage and rear brake, that's fine.

2) Use a 14mm socket (and a *proper* hex one - this bolt is on bloody tight and if you use a "star" one you'll probably round it off) and undo the bottom engine mount nut on the right hand side of the bike.

3) Slide the engine mount bolt out from the left side of the bike.  It should come out very easily given you've removed the obstacle of the footpegs/attached detritus.

4) The metal bracket is now free on the right hand/exhaust side, still very firmly affixed on the left - however it is flexible enough that you can bend it down a few inches without any harm.

5) Get the bike on its side stand.  Lose that rear exhaust bolt you had in for safety's sake.  Press down on the centre stand with what bit of body you have available and you should now have just enough room to lower the exhaust off the rear link pipe.

6) Marvel at how heavy it is

Leave the engine support bolt out and bracket bent down as you'll need it that way to refit the OEM exhaust and it'll likely help for fitting any aftermarket one also.  Once the exhaust is back on simply reverse the above steps.

Voila!

Hope that helps someone in the same situation...