Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
V-Strom specific discussion / Re: Gearing up the 800 RE
« Last post by deecat on May 21, 2024, 22:43:13 »
I don't think I have seen a 49 tooth sprocket for our bike and I am not sure that you would notice much difference with one tooth less on the rear.

I did want the 47 tooth sprocket but they did not have one in stock so I went for the 46 t one. On a quick shake down run this morning the difference was when running in the bike in at 4,500 revs the speedo showed 58mph and now it is 68mph.

The bike has such good low down grunt that I couldn't notice any difference lower down ,I will try and get out on my own on Saturday, without the restrictor on the back to give it a better assessment.
My Gen 3 '17 has a flat beam
V-Strom specific discussion / Re: Gearing up the 800 RE
« Last post by crazyhorse on May 21, 2024, 22:20:41 »
Hi Deecat

I am having the same idea about raising the gearing on my 800RE and would like to use a 49T rear sprocket, and have looked around without any success, as yet.

If you know of someone who could supply me with a 49T sprocket please let me know.

I think for me a 47T sprocket would be too high, but do feel the bike is too low geared for my use, but I did enjoy last week in Scotland behaving like a looney (within my limits, which are pretty low) and managed 58-60mpg for the week.

Cheers
Crazyhorse
V-Strom specific discussion / Re: DL650xx personalised number plates
« Last post by Brockett on May 21, 2024, 22:19:55 »
On one hand it's all about personalising your vehicle. On the other its shameless vanity in a needy world and everyone else thinking "what a knob".
The Blue Oyster bar / Re: What have you done today
« Last post by Brockett on May 21, 2024, 22:15:44 »
I imagine it take a good deal of inner strength to perform a self injection. Although these days they tend to say "just a little scratch".   I hope all goes well for you.
Traitors Corner / Re: What have you done with your bike today?
« Last post by Brockett on May 21, 2024, 22:11:35 »
Joe - thanks. That is not something I have considered. I will have another look.
The Blue Oyster bar / Re: Countdown (not the programme on telly)
« Last post by crazyhorse on May 21, 2024, 22:10:08 »
Hi

Glad to hear that you are about to become another 800RE owner.

I am just back from a week in Scotland on mine and now have a total of 3k miles on it.

The bike got filthy on the first day in the rain going up, but the rest of the week was sunny and warm, which was a bit of a shocker!

The bike is bloody good and started to really loosen up on the way home, and would pull hard in any gear you asked of it.
Also, as a slight downside the vibration is a little more than my old 650, but nothing that detracted from the total enjoyment of the machine.

Also I would like to state that the tyres which came with the bike (Dunlop 614's) were quite a revelation as there was no slides/apprehension whatever the weather, and with that the handling was superb.

The only downer was the rear shock for me, as it was harsh and on its best setting for me the damping was non existant, but others will be OK, as I am too fat!
I have already put feelers out to Wilburs and Nitron for a replacement, but they have nothing as yet, and if anyone knows of other manufacturers who do one, I would be interested.

That's enough from me.

Cheers
Crazyhorse
Introductions / Re: Newby in Central France
« Last post by Dave hendy on May 21, 2024, 20:32:10 »
 :welcani:

Enjoy your bike and the empty French roads  :auto-dirtbike:
Traitors Corner / Re: What have you done with your bike today?
« Last post by Joe Rocket on May 21, 2024, 19:52:29 »
Hopefully you've got Brockett it....and here it comes.....but you have to take the carbs off and manipulate the connectors. If they are still rubbery and flexible they're probably OK. If they're hard and won't deform as you'd expect then try to stretch the 'rubber' with your two thumbs between the two thick lips the circlips secure around. It was only then I found the cracks in mine. I found the same with my Kawasaki GPX btw, old and cooked.

I'm not rejecting your fix but before you rebalance the carbs you'd do well to make sure. HTH
The Blue Oyster bar / Re: What have you done today
« Last post by The Doctor 46 on May 21, 2024, 19:35:11 »
I got home from the hospital yesterday afternoon after an operation on 13th May. Today I had to inject myself. I was a medic for 3/4 years so have injected many people many times but nothing prepared me for sticking a needle into myself.

It was all over in a flash and I didn't feel a thing but the build up was so distressing that I forgot to mention those few words just before going in "You may feel a small prick". There are twenty more to give before it's over so I may get it right soon..  :thumb:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10