Author Topic: Sat Nav advice needed  (Read 907 times)

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
Sat Nav advice needed
« on: June 29, 2023, 18:28:18 »
Evening all.
I use a beeline Sat Nav.Recently it shat itself and stopped working.I got in touch with the helpline and after a bit of "did you do this" got it back up and running.
Now the beeline has a compass setting which is the one I use the most,It just points to your destination with an as the crow flies distance.Great if like me you just go out for a wobble around ,and the destination is a vague goal ,when you come to a  T junction on a dirt strewn 8 foot wide back road and want to MAYBE go nearer you look at it and know "OK it's over there" but it's not TELLING me to go that way.
I really like the beeline but my confidence in it has been dented a little ,time will tell ,now I know how to reset it SHOULD be OK?
My question is do any of you who have sat navs use it in this way ,that is to say in compass mode or something similar on your device and if so how reliable has it been.
Ta

Offline sjrainsford

• Bike: DL650 L4 and 2008 Vespa GTS300 Super
Re: Sat Nav advice needed
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 07:59:59 »
I've used a beeline since they first came out.  I was one of the early adopters.  My first one had a screen failure, but that was one of the early ones.  They were nothing but brilliant with replies and getting a replacement out to me.
I use mine in more traditional direction style, but I still like using it as a general guide and not to fully stick to.  They take some getting used to after a big tomtom style satnav - but it's refreshing to me as I'm following a Sat Nav often with my job travelling round the country.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 10:10:14 »
SJ,
I also use a tom tom at work  to find out of the way places.I prefer  the beeline  on the bike though. My 650 has a madstad  mount and any blocking of the area under the screen disturbs the airflow under so a standard Sat Nav is awkward.The help from beeline sorting  my problems  has been top notch no complaints  there at all :thumb:

Offline nigel s

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 05:36:32 »
Beeline have recently posted a vid showing how to do a reset,might be helpful if you have problems.It sorted mine.

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 06:55:16 »
I'm another Beeline user.

I tend to plan my routes on google, convert them to gpx and then use the gpx file for the Beeline and I find it a great little nav device.

I had one of the plastic mounting arms snap when riding. I was on my way to France so cobbled something together at the roadside to keep moving. I got in touch with Beeline customer service as soon as I was back, sent them some photo's of the broken arm and they offered a free replacement straight away. I have always found their CS to be brilliant, always happy to answer my stupid questions.

I have just got back from riding the Crieff Cloverleaf and on one or two of the loops it might have been easier to follow a more conventional Sat Nav rather than having the arrow when undertaking a complicated route on multiple single track roads, but that is the only occasion this has happened in thousands of touring miles, so I think I'll stick with what I have.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline ThunderStrom

• Bike: DL650 K9
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2023, 23:16:15 »
I use my Phone with the app Osmand +.

Downside: A steep learning curve.
Upsides: Fully customizable, monthly updated maps and unlimited map downloads, works with gpx files, one time price of about €13,- (got mine in a sale for 10), use it on 2 devices on the same Google account, regular bug fixes.

You can always test the standard version of Osmand and see for yourself.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2023, 05:00:04 »
ThunderStrom,
Osmand sounds a little like Sygic,which I bought years ago because it works completely offline on my phone.Not as good as using google maps,but if I were stuck where there was no signal at all it will still work as a back up.
Have been considering buying a second cheap phone on pay as you go to use as a Sat Nav,so in an emergency/unforseen event I will always be covered.But at the moment while the beeline is still working for me I will stick with that. :thumb:

Offline ThunderStrom

• Bike: DL650 K9
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2023, 21:11:45 »
I had a look just now, since I didn't know about the Beeline.

I do prefer a full map navigation. Riding in busy city centers, Osmand gives me a clear idea of what's up ahead and even which lane to take.

If the beeline works for you, wonderfull! But let's say you go on a journey to a unknown area, you can always install the standard Osmand on your phone and download the maps for that area.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 16:38:07 »
nigel, maybe suggest that to them? If it detects you're slowing down below say 5mph, flick between a junction arrow and the compass?

I was going to indulge in a proper Sat Nav, my waterproof phone case has a matt screen which then makes the phone invisible in anything above overcast weather, but then on the facebook v-strom group someone has found a motorcycle android auto/apple carplay gadget... which looks exactly what I need.

Going to let them run it through its paces before I pull the trigger though!

Offline SteveO

• Bike: DL650XT L5
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2023, 12:06:46 »
My beeline also just gave up. Bit disappointing after only 1800 (dry) miles, (about 3 years, and out of warranty).

First the update crashed, causing the unit to freeze, then the screen went.

I've just ordered an replacement for £70, refurbished with a years warranty. (Subject to sending mine back).

I really line the compass mode, and as a basic Sat Nav, it works well enough.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2023, 13:05:11 »
Did you try the factory reset in the above vid.what you have sounds like mine and the reset got it  running?

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2023, 07:16:45 »
I've just watched the latest video from Fortnine, despite telling myself not to, it covered Sat Nav devices and mentioned the Beeline.

Their coverage of the Beeline was cursory and inaccurate, it also conveniently forgot to mention that most the things their recommended system can do regarding routes, profiles and planning, the Beeline also does, they suggested that having to use your phone as the navigational device was rubbish and instead recommended buying a certain brand of old phone to use as a navigational device.... wait, what?

I have over 15,000 miles clocked using the Beeline and have no reason to consider a change.

As for Fortnine, lovers of the channel will flame me, but over the last few months I have come to the conclusion that it has turned into a rather amusing / annoying advertising channel.... I mean, promoting buffs as something new!
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2023, 10:31:46 »
Neil, no point listening to views of others unless you're open minded on their response. I haven't watched the video, he's annoying.
Don't we come across it all the time on forums, folks ask for advice but rarely take it. You can have oil threads 500 posts long only for the creator to say after six months and 1000 coffees later, "I think I'll stick with what I've got, I've got 50 gallons in the shed"!
Don't watch anymore of his videos! Listen at me Videos? Down with kids or what?
Upt.