Author Topic: Emergency stop! This is why indication is so important  (Read 1974 times)

Offline WLR

Emergency stop! This is why indication is so important
« on: June 02, 2013, 14:57:48 »
A liar in a car nearly knocks me off, and I perform an amazing emergency stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRYaIkMj ... e=youtu.be

Offline frez

Re: Emergency stop! This is why indication is so important
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 15:15:28 »
He was not indicating right, but he was also not indicating left to suggest he was taking the first exit off the roundabout. It was completely within the realms of possibility that he would turn right without indicating, I mean it's not like it is an unusual scenario as you point out yourself. I am not excusing his behaviour, only suggesting you should learn to anticipate it.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 17:33:34 »
I can't believe you got caught out like that! Relying on a motorist to indicate on a mini-roundabout? I guess you are new to motorcycling, look on it as a valuable lesson learned.

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 18:08:24 »
There must be 500 or more of these little white painted roundabouts within 10 miles of my home. We are taught as part of driving lessons that you do not indicate on these roundabouts unless you are going left or right. For a straight ahead route you do not indicate.

Also, you do not change the indicator for the left one if you are going right and have passed the penultimate exit. You do not indicate left to exit if you are going straight ahead and have passed your penultimate exit.

That's the way it is and you do not make assumptions at these litle roundabouts.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline frez

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 19:20:32 »
Highway Code 188: Mini-roundabouts. Approach these in the same way as normal roundabouts. All vehicles MUST pass round the central markings except large vehicles which are physically incapable of doing so. Remember, there is less space to manoeuvre and less time to signal. Avoid making U-turns at mini-roundabouts. Beware of others doing this. Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10(1) & 16(1)

Locally you may have learned to use them differently. Many people, me included, learned before mini-roundabouts were prevalent. People from other countries have other rules as discussed above.

The main thing to take from this is never to trust indicators alone, whether they are flashing or not.
Now on a Super Tenere having put 64k miles on a 2011 DL650

Offline stibbs

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 19:24:05 »
Well, the bloke in the car is definitely at fault. He's turned right in front of you. However, as a rider, unfortunately, we have to anticipate this sort of brain dead activity.

Personally I slow down for these in anticipation of the sort of action that Mr. Brain dead carried out.
Always ride as if every else Is a wanker and they're determined to kill you :groan:

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 23:35:09 »
+1 always ride like they're out to kill you!

No cars around here use their indicators - half the time when I'm going right on mini-roundabouts the cars from my left don't give way  :violence-uzi:

Offline SimonW

• Bike: DL1050XT
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 00:10:13 »
Quote from: "frez"
...The main thing to take from this is never to trust indicators alone....
Ever.

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 08:56:40 »
Quote from: "stibbs"
Well, the bloke in the car is definitely at fault. He's turned right in front of you. However, as a rider, unfortunately, we have to anticipate this sort of brain dead activity.

Personally I slow down for these in anticipation of the sort of action that Mr. Brain dead carried out.
Always ride as if every else Is a wanker and they're determined to kill you :groan:

Yeah, that^

You do have to mistrust any indication, they're almost always wrong on roundabouts.. But that doesn't mean the rider is in the wrong for not anticipating the drivers' mistake, driver muppet was in the wrong, I'd have had a word too.. :)

Remove all indicators from vehicles, they're rarely used properly and, as a result, even a correctly used indicator has to be ignored.. They have brake lights to let you know they're slowing down, use your head.. Hazard lights don't magically make it possible to drive through your car, it's still causing an obstruction, and not having them on doesn't make a badly parked car invisible..

Remove all indicators, they're pointless..