Oily Rag - Dedicated to Pat, Greywolf. 26/06/45 - 04/06/18 > Tyres

Dunlop Mutant

(1/2) > >>

earlystock:
Just wondering if anyone has tried Dunlop Mutants. My friend has them on his BMW 1250RS, and he says they are good in the dry, but unreal (in a good way) in the wet. The only downside for him is they look odd on a sports tourer.

Thoughts?

The Doctor 46:
The first thing that came to mind when I saw the tread pattern was "Racing Wet Tyre" and a long way into this review the journalist say's the same. I read all of the link and they seem to be perfect tyres for V-Strom's of any engine size but longevity  hasn't been tested yet.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/motorcycle-tyres/dunlop-mutant-2021   :thumb:

NeilM:
I spoke to a bloke on the Dunlop stand at the Overlander Event as Dunlop also make Avon and I am on my second set of Spirit ST's.

He said the Mutant would be his recommended tyre for the VStrom. He said I would get better grip (never had any issues with the ST's) but that they would not last quite as long as my Avon's.

rikpward:
The parent company is Goodyear. The Avons and Dunlops are now also made in France, having closed the Birmingham factory. Due to the environmental factors in the French factory, the quality of the tyres is better than those made in the UK...apparently!

Having used and been impressed by Avon Storms, I have tried the Spirit, which I do not think is as good. I am looking at the mutant now as I only here good things about it, or I'll go back the trusty P5/6

NeilM:
The same fate is falling on Avon with the Melksham factory closing next month.

I had a really interesting chat with the Dunlop bloke about some of the motorsports / slick tyres made in Melksham. There is a lot of concern from a number of racing classes that have / had Avon's as their control tyres, but the Dunlop bloke said that the volumes of many of these tyres are so low that it has been costing the company money to make them... volumes as low as 20 tyres.... a year!

I may well try the Mutant's next tyre change, but that won't be for a while yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version