Author Topic: Note to self!  (Read 1352 times)

Offline 1monkey1

Note to self!
« on: April 03, 2013, 22:59:05 »
Got home from work early today ,was nice and sunny so thought I would give my bike a good clean.
Dragged bike out the shed. Armed with my can of WD40 and a hour later one nice fast shinny blue vee!!
Very happy with the results, except the grab rail/luggage rack starting to look a bit shabby.
Decided to take it off and get it powder coated,half a hour later bish bash bosh all 3 parts off ready to take with me in the morning.
Right time to put bike away, got hold of handle bars and went to grab grab rail/luggage rack to take it off center stand. What a feckin struggle I had, really not recomended. So think before you take the grab rail/luggage rack off, put it on the SIDE STAND!!
Oh and you should of seen me trying to push it up the little ramp back into the shed!
But can't wait for my nice shinny black grab rail/luggage rack
When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
Re: Note to self!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 08:48:00 »
Oh! yes how true. I have an up slope on the front path. Easy to put it on the centre stand and almost impossible to get it back off. I also have an uphill push into the shed. So I leave the side stand down just in case my foot slips from under me. I am getting an estimate on block paving at the front and a garage at the side but hell ...... it's going to be a whole lot of drinking vouchers.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:39:32 »
But be careful...a mate of mine pushed his Freewind off the centre stand with the side stand still extended - the side stand came right down on his foot! Nothing broken but damned sore!

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 13:47:05 »
Oh! yes FB I've done that too, but only once and it was only my toe that hurt. If the bike goes down it'll be my wallet crying tenners and I'll probably have to wait till my son comes home to help me get it back on it's wheels. His derision will be merciless and endless.

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 13:52:43 »
If on the centre stand I just sit on the seat and roll it off the stand... works a treat and avoids problems mentioned above!
Biker & Cyclist...

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 13:54:27 »
:text-goodpost: Me too
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline mjc506

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 16:03:57 »
Heh, I watched someone try that not long after I passed my test. He gets on, starts up, lifts sidestand, engages 1st, throttles up and lets out the clutch. Only then does he realise he's on the centrestand too, and hurredly rocks forward, forgetting the back wheels' spinning merrily away in drive...

I don't think I need to explain what happened next  :haha:  :auto-dirtbike:
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline Brockett

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 22:10:05 »
I can't rock it (uphill) off the centre stand.