Author Topic: What have you done with your bike today?  (Read 229601 times)

ricky11 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: What have you done with your bike today?
« Reply #2300 on: September 01, 2021, 20:42:57 »
Yes, they do look and sound rather splendid like that. Yours?

Offline Steve T

• Bike: F8GS, NC750X
« Reply #2301 on: September 02, 2021, 20:11:21 »
Rode the latest garage dust collector to the west coast in search of some sunshine . . . and found some  :lala:

Steve T

:icon_razz:
A weekend wasted isn't a wasted weekend

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #2302 on: September 03, 2021, 19:12:54 »
Rode it to its new home in Kent  :thumb:
May your God go with you...
(Dave Allen)

Online Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #2303 on: September 03, 2021, 22:12:52 »
That is a lovely looking bike enjoy  :thumb:

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #2304 on: September 04, 2021, 00:40:16 »
 :icon_drool5: Oooooh! that looks nice
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #2305 on: September 04, 2021, 13:00:27 »
Bridgestone A41's fitted and back on the bike ready to go, the single sided swing arm making rear wheel removal a sub 60 seconds affair which is nice. Much higher pressures recommended by Bridgestone than Triumph (32 & 39 Triumph, 36 & 42 Bridgestone) so be interesting to see how I get on with them. I shall report back when I get a few miles on them.

It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #2306 on: September 04, 2021, 16:38:20 »
Today I finished my third annual service on the Thunder Bastard. After last years 18k major service (valve check, fuel filters, plugs, sprockets, chain, chain slider, brake and clutch fluid change) this years was a simple oil and filter change with an air filter check. I also refitted the secondary air system as I missed the exhaust explosions on over-run.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #2307 on: September 05, 2021, 16:59:13 »
Removing the secondary air on the 990 didn't completely deprive me of the overrun soundtrack: reduced it a fair bit, but it's still there. Older injection management I suspect.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Steve T

• Bike: F8GS, NC750X
« Reply #2308 on: September 05, 2021, 17:39:30 »
I went looking for old bikes . . .

Paid a visit to the Inverness Vintage Motorcycle Clubs Loch Ness rally this morning to see some old . . . and not so old metal.

The starting point at about 10am . . .

This machine has a handmade frame that has been cut about 3 times to accommodate different engines

This, whilst not “doing” the run, was an interesting bit of work

Orange and not a KTM – how novel!

Not sure which model this is but it certainly ticks all my boxes

And this Norton looks like something out of Heartbeat

As it has started to precipitate I decided to head for the other bike related meet that was happening in the area today, over at Alford Motor Museum. This required me to ride over the lecht and along Strathdon, which is always a chore

Not taken a photo of a bike and this sign for ages . . .

Final picture is of a steam engine at the museum that had at least 4 bods looking after its fuel and water needs

The Alford Motorcycle Convention is usually held on the first weekend in September, bu given the restrictions placed on the population over the past 18 months or so, last years event didn’t  happen. To gauge interest for future events, the museum held a Motorcycle Gathering today and it appeared to have gained a lot of interest. If you wanted to you could pay a fiver for the privilege of parking your bike within the museum grounds and then the public could wander about gawping at the machines assembled. Being tighter than a tight thing I declined the offer and just gawped over the fence and also wandered around the public car park outside which housed plenty of interesting road bikes . . . but none worth photographing.

180 miles and the VFR still making me smile.

Steve T

:icon_razz:
A weekend wasted isn't a wasted weekend

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #2309 on: September 05, 2021, 18:39:22 »
Today I had a cracking run out around Kielder and then through Newcastleton and down to Longtown for lunch at the Sycamore Tree cafe, well worth a visit if you're passing. Surprisingly my mates were well up for some more riding so we headed over to Silloth for an ice cream following the Solway Firth as much as possible. We then had a 'spirited' ride back along the A69 and then home. Just over 200 miles and my new A41's are scrubbed in beautifully. I'm a happy boy and it's just turned wine o'clock  :obscene-drinkingchug:

P.S. I may have hit the speed limiter on the Tiger...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #2310 on: September 05, 2021, 19:31:32 »
Took the VX out for a short run and found the steering was very heavy. Back in the garage I lifted the front wheel clear and it showed the headrace bearing is a tad too tight. I had replaced the OE collection of rusty balls with a taper roller set. I slackened the castle nut by 120 degrees. A test ride showed it to feel much better. I think taper roller bearings should maybe not be pre loaded as the "book" indicates with the OE type.

Offline Brockett

« Reply #2311 on: September 07, 2021, 21:59:46 »
Another thing about the VX with Hagon shocks is the ride was a bit harsh. I put this down to the preload being on minimum and the units bottoming out. Perverse logic I know but I adjusted them to the mid setting for todays run out. with the headrace bearings set to negative pressure/ not loose I set off on an 85 mile trip to Great Yarmouth. Handling and comfort was good and I think it's maybe as good as anything I've ridden lately. I was somewhat concerned to find the "go to" petrol station had been knocked down and so I set the satnav to find an Esso station only .4 miles away. On arrival I found there no unleaded petrol to be had. Things were getting desparate when I made for the Tesco  service station only to find it was also knocked down for  rebuild. No wonder Esso had sold out ..... I managed to splutter the bike to a BP station but they only had E5/E10 and I wanted super unleaded for the old girl. Needs must though and I filled with ordinary and hoped the E10 had not yet arrived in the tanks.  Anyhow at Gt Yarmouth I stopped for a black coffee and gave the ice cream a miss. Very sunny warm day until I neared home at 1900 and a sea mist had rolled in and it was quite chilly. 

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #2312 on: September 11, 2021, 22:26:43 »
Fitted a fused 12v socket in place of the dash blank. Thankfully the middle panel on the side fairing came off easily for cable routing. :fix:
May your God go with you...
(Dave Allen)

Offline Brockett

« Reply #2313 on: September 15, 2021, 19:39:55 »
VX woes. It has been making a noise. Sounds like backlash in the gears or final drive when on over run. Only slight but today while I was out it got very much worse. I stopped the bike and listened to the engine - nothing there. Drive it and shut off in any gear and the clatter came back straight away. Dip the cluch and the noise stops. I was on my way to meet some pals at the their local dealers and as I arrived the owner came out and looked at the bike as he had heard the unusual noise as I rode into the car park. 30 minutes of reving the engine and listening to different parts of the engine later he tapped the exhaust with a rubber hammer and then looked underneath it. Ah! yes he said " these bikes have a double skinned exhaust and it is not uncommon for the inner to pipe weld to fail". He put it up on a ramp and we looked at the underside of the pipe. There was a hole in it !! It seems the fix is to drill a hole in the outer skin and shove a big ol' self tapper in there to hold the inner pipe from vibrating on the outer.  Whatever was previously inserted had now , rotted away / fallen off. He screwed a self tapping screw in and I went for a test ride. Noise gone. There was me thinking the old girl had had it as most parts are no longer available.  Much relieved I continued my journey to Posh Pigs near Beccles for a small full breakfast and then a trip to Oulto Broad for cofee and cake. I was so happy I treated my pals as well. And it didn't rain - a perfect day with another 166 miles on the meter.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #2314 on: September 18, 2021, 16:57:34 »
This is my 68 plate Versys 1000. Bought a few weeks ago. It came to me with 1500 miles on the clock and three Main Dealer Services :haha: It was completely standard.

Anyway, let the modifications begin;

1. I sold a Kidney to buy the Kawasaki Top Box, this has a superb feature, if you take the key out and the lid closes, it is now locked and you better hope your key wasn't inside  :crazy:

2. Sat Nav Mount

3. Radiator Guard

4. Side Stand Foot

5. Bigpie Fusebox

6. Givi Airflow

Still to fit. Auxiliary lights & End Can.
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Online Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #2315 on: September 18, 2021, 17:30:22 »
Nice bike that Mr Rat and  some very nice modifications you have fitted  :thumb:

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #2316 on: September 18, 2021, 17:35:36 »
I sold a Kidney to buy the Kawasaki Top Box,

Are you sure it wasn't 3 porta loos .. :shrug:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2317 on: September 18, 2021, 17:37:13 »
Lift table needs painting.

Very nice as-new bike, any idea why the original buyer let it go?

Offline Brockett

« Reply #2318 on: September 18, 2021, 18:33:06 »
With reference to my post above and the rattling exhaust:- The self tapper was a quick bodge and now I have to consider what other options I have. I can get a left hand unit for something over £600 from CCM, but the right hand side is not available. Each side is a one piece unit from cylinder head to end of tail pipe. Extremely heavy double skin and pitted chrome. I could have the unit cut through and have the inner pipe welded back into place although that would leave a weld scar.  Any other soloutions??

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #2319 on: September 18, 2021, 18:50:46 »
Dave, I would "plug" weld it with stainless wire. It can be ground and polished to finish.

Piece of cake. :)
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.