Author Topic: Honda CX500ED Eurosport  (Read 6237 times)

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Honda CX500ED Eurosport
« on: January 15, 2012, 18:15:01 »
I bought this 1983 Honda CX500ED Eurosport last year 05/07/2011 and have done less than 50 miles on it since. I was planning to fix it up nicely, but life has become in the way and I doubt I will get around to it in the next few years. It currently has 55k miles on the clock.

While I had it I:
- fixed the centre stand which had a bolt missing
- put the front mud guard the right way around (previous owner seems to have flipped it)
- cleaned the carbs thoroughly
- installed a new oil filter
- changed the engine oil
- installed new spark plugs
- installed a new battery
- changed the shaft drive oil
- installed a K&N reusable air filter

The bike is in decent condition, runs well enough for it's age, it has been kept in a locked garage since I had it. It got an MOT when I bought it so it will last until July 2012. It was taxed for 12 months shortly after I got it so the tax should be in July as well (I can check the exact date if it's important.) Tyres are in good condition and with plenty of tread left. The bike is black in colour and it has a chromed rear luggage rack, I also have a grab rail for it. The headlight bulb needs replacing, I thought I had a spare bulb, but when I went to replace it I couldn't find it and it has since slipped my mind. There are no serious dings anywhere, pretty neat for a bike that's almost 30 years old (they sure don't make them like this any more.) It has the front Trax(?) anti-dive forks from a 1983 Honda CX650EC Eurosport. The reason being that the previous owner sent the originals to a dodgy suspension refurbishment place and never got them back (in other words: they were not replaced due to crash damage.) It needs a bit of work to get it back in decent condition, nothing serious, just normal things like new fork oil, brake caliper services and obviously a new headlight bulb. Even if you just replaced the headlight bulb you'd have a runner already. With that in mind, it could be an ideal bike to get, use and restore to pristine condition over time.

You can see some photos HERE, they were taken when I first got the bike.

The V5C shows the bike was first registered on 18/08/1983, but I think it was manufactured in 1982 (I'm not 100% sure, but I think that was the last year they made the CX500ED.)

If anyone else wants any other information, feel free to ask here or PM me.

I'm not sure what it is worth so I was hoping someone with a good feel for these things could give me a guide price, taking into consideration the work that was recently done to it. I'm open to reasonable offers too, please PM offers to me. The buyer will have to collect from Warwick.

I almost forgot, I have a Haynes manual for it that the buyer can have.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Juvecu

Re: Honda CX500ED Eurosport
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 12:54:11 »
£500 onco?
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 18:53:31 »
Pm Sent

Ride Coordinator

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 09:22:49 »
Sold to mr_diver, pending payment :clap:

Offline wal750

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 19:17:41 »
Mr_Diver

Welcome to CX world although it would seem you are 150cc short  :)

1986 Honda VFR 750 FG
1986 Yamaha XJ900F

V-strom now sold :-(

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 23:48:15 »
payment sent.

getting quotes for shipping.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 12:57:35 »
Yeps, payment received, it's all yours now :thumb:

Offline Hutchie

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 12:59:04 »
Did you get all that sawdust into the oil to make it sound quieter like I suggested Juv, aye?

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 13:21:54 »
Shhhh, don't tell :shock:  lol

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 20:09:45 »
that's it- Huchie, I'm giving up coffee and I'm going to smash my flask... well dent it abit. and after I defended you...

lol

bloody insurance company won't add the bike to my current policy and I'm trying to find a cheap policy for the bloody thing now. ahrrrrrrr!!!

what was the company you use Juv? they let you have unlimited millage didn't they?
might be cheaper to cancel the current policy and get a multi-bike one. I hate this quote thing.

Ride Coordinator

Offline temporaryescapee

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 20:30:22 »
Could use ebikeinsurance and buy cover by the month if you are near a renewal date on your main policy?

Also on shipping I have a motorbike trailer in Bristol you are welcome to borrow if that would help.

Cheers
Andy

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 20:53:57 »
renewal is in sept for the wee.  :shrug:

thanks for the offer but don't have a vehicle that can tow (no tow bar) except the bro's ML Merc but that's currently with him in Switzerland. and he won't let me or the mrs near it... did ask him a while ago if the mrs could have a go of his Aston- answer ended in "OFF".

I'll get it sorted, I'm just stingy!

Ride Coordinator

Offline wal750

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 22:58:56 »
Get the train and ride it back! Where's your sense of adventure??  :shrug:  :neen:
1986 Honda VFR 750 FG
1986 Yamaha XJ900F

V-strom now sold :-(

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 23:05:55 »
the mrs said no... it's too far... too cold... and the bikes 30 years old... I don't care if it's got an MOT... coming from the woman who looked forward to and enjoyed going on honeymoon on the wee.

also it's going to cost £90 to get to Juv's without taxi from the train station. then the fuel/coffee for the way home.
just paid £120 to have it picked up saturday and dropped to me about 4 hours later as I'm on the blokes way back home.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 23:53:00 »
I use eBike Insurance, that reminds me, I have to take it off my insurance.

Offline PHIL FAT

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 04:01:29 »
bought a 1978 cx500 in december insured with  e bike £ 68 fully comp hope this helps
Too Old To Die Young

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 23:03:46 »
she arrived tonight.
batt was flat, changed the main light bulb, faffed for ages trying to figure out how to get the seat off to try and take the panels of to get the battery out, and jen said "what's in this bag?"   oh bugger there's a manual in there- D'oh!

Cheers Juv.

got her started after a couple of hours on an optimate, and I remembered to turn on the fuel tap and use the choke... first carb fed engine.
She's great to ride. the mrs can sit on it relatively comfily , and is well chuffed. she hasn't stopped talking about it.
a few things to sort though, top box so the mrs will be happy to go for a longer ride, forks need to be a little stiffer. ill figure out how the air thing works. and the passenger foot pegs need to be changed/fixed. and before the mrs get hold of it- engine bars!
but I'm well happy with it mate. all the info you sent has kept me busy for many hours so far.

think she'll be carrying me to work in the morning if the weather is OK.

there is one down side though, I think her car is feeling left out now and has decided it wants a new exhaust back box.  :angry-banghead:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 17:39:03 »
Glad you're happy, with a bit of love to get it back in top condition you'll have something you can really be proud of. Remember that it's 30 years old and that the shocks and brakes aren't going to be as good as modern day stuff.

Engine bars are a great idea, some nice chrome ones would look good.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 20:42:15 »
OK the trip to work did have an effect on the bike...  it shoock the last remaining life out of the exhaust... So a new one will be on order when I get to m&p's wednesday. she's got effectivly straight through pipes. sounds wicked but my neigbours arnt liking it -  :crazy:
I felt brave so gave her some welly on the M-way and got her up to 85mph before she started to wallow going over bumps. couldn't put air in front tyre in Morrisons, or front + rear suspension. got to work and checked with pump from shop next door, front tyre was 19psi, no pressure in the mono-shock and couldn't get the foot pump to reach and pump air into the forks.  :shrug:
She felt allot more planted on the way back home.  :lala:
Engine runs nicely, no knocks and felt noticeably more pull when I fitted the k+n in work and rode her home.
Love the engine- sit at lights give her a little blip and feel the engine rock the bike under you.
The mrs is well chuffed. she says she loves it but she said I now get to spend hours in the garage to sort her baby!  :lala:  now she doesn't mine me spending all my time with a bike because this one is for her.
Took her baby round to show her bike mad cousin, he's very jealous, he said he's had 'a few' in the past and loved them. he's now thinking of getting rid of his third bike (cb500) and buying a project CX as well.

List of thing to do in my 2 weeks off - starting next sunday.
Urgent:---

New exhaust system- not motad 2 into 1, twin silencers.
Front master cylinder - replace guts and strip callipers.
Change handlebars- the current ones are horrible, totaly wrong angle for the mrs or my wrists. have hinted to her about Ape hangers but she's not amused.  :shy:
Inspect suspension.
Strip front end and re-order the wiring.
Strip out wheels and replace bearings.
Inspect/replace head-race bearing.
Strip rear drive.
Repair damage to fairing.
Clean up and paint frame.
and at some point find time to eat, sleep and refill the flask.

Future works.----
Clean up engine and paint.
Fit engine bars.
Heated grips and bark-busters.
Find the plate for my old topbox and fit.
Fit power socket
Fit Sat Nav mount
 :fix:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 21:20:49 »
Not much to do then!