Author Topic: Bike compatible binoculars.  (Read 233 times)

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: Bike compatible binoculars.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 20:07:29 »
Therey'go.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 20:14:40 »
Double sided tape to the lid.........hmmmm

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2024, 08:36:00 »
When we bought hours about 9/10 years ago we went to a specific 'optics' outlet, one that just sold binoculars & telescopes for bird/wildlife watching.
We tried loads of different ones without knowing the price ...... we both decided on a couple of pairs that we though gave the best vision. Both sets were almost the most expensive in the shop!!! Close to £1000 each pair!!!! We put them down & tried the others that we initially rejected until we found some within our budget & settle on some for under £200 each (still a very similar price now ..... https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/binoculars/discovery-wp-pc-binoculars/discovery-wp-pc-mg-8x42).
What I'm trying to say here is that, in my opinion binoculars are one of those things that the more you pay the better they'll be.
We use ours regularly & they have had a lot of use over those years & are still in good order.
You need to think how you're going to use them, if they will remain on the bike & you use them from close by, weight won't matter too much, but if you end up walking a bit with them then a lighter pair might be better & they are usually more expensive.

The ones you posted a link to are 10 X 25. They will work & I'm sure will do the job for you but the 10 X's is as powerful as you want to go with hand held as it's more difficult to hold still because of the magnification. The 25 part is the objective lens (front) size & this allows the light into the binoculars, the bigger it is, the more light, the better the image.
Personally I'd go with nothing less than 32.

Go to a photographers or maybe better a nature reserve that has a shop selling them. That way you can try them & see (no pun intended) for yourself.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 08:59:44 »
I use these…… I’ve had them for a couple of years and paid £180 delivered.👍

Offline nigel s

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 13:46:28 »
Thanks all,some good advice.
Did some reading and went to Sneezums this morning.Hell of a name but founded in 1875 so know a thing or two.
Glad I did and read Mick's post ,they were super helpful and as Mick said pulled me away from 10x magnification.

I tried a few at 10x and it is a skill I don't have to use them.
Ended up with these in 8x42.
https://www.sneezums.co.uk/collections/viking-optical/products/viking-cygnus-ed-monocular?variant=40254909186248.

The vid is a bit out of date pricewise and mine have flip down lens covers.But due to having big hands I found the shape just fitted me.
They(it?) also fit in the engine bags no problem.
Here in someones mahoosive mit.

Ta all :thumb:

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 17:49:17 »
Never thought about a Monocular Nigel, but oddly enough just spent a few days over at Minsmere & there were quite a few folk using one. I thought it strange as never seen folk using them when we've been out spotting to wildlife/bird sanctuaries before. Maybe it's the new thing & you are leading the way?  :thumb:
Mick

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2024, 18:15:29 »
I like crosshairs in my monocular (telescopic sight) but I have to be carful what I watch with it.  :roll: :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2024, 18:43:54 »
Mick,
Don't know about leading the way........that'll be a first.
There is a definate knack to using a monocular ,it takes a bit of adjustment.
I am left eye dominant and right handed.Which means I can hold it in my good hand over my dominant eye easily, keeping Both eyes open 'cos the right is partially blocked by my hand.Works on the other eye too but dominant is easier.
The main reason for mono was size on the bike,but am surprised at how well it tracks movement,the sparrows have nowhere to hide now. :icon_wink:
Coincidentally on the way up to Sneezums I saw a Buzzard in the road on a little used b road I go down.
Near South Creake, he was sitting on the side of the road with a fresh kill hare still twitching in his talons.He didn't want to give it up,he looked at me on the bike  and left it to the last second before taking off. HUGE shadow going over my shoulder,god they are big close up.

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2024, 18:47:41 »
I always found bins difficult to use, unless you got the spacing exactly right and corrected one eyepiece or the other. I'd get two overlapping images or one image and a view of the inside wall of one of the lens arrays. A monocular seems very sensible.
I'm left handed and right eyed, Nigel. My mates thought it odd that I play pool left handed and darts right handed. I write with my left, 'play' guitar right handed.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2024, 19:07:58 »
Being a boatbuilder I am "fairly" ambidextrous.
But it always helps if someone on the crew is opposite handed to you.
Reaching up at full stretch with just space for one hand holding a washer and nut tyring to fit it can be REAALLY annoying on the wrong hand.

DAAAAVE, .. gis us a min will you.
Ho Hum

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2024, 19:13:03 »
Interesting Rusty. It's never happened to me before but tried half a dozen binoculars at the RSPB visitor centre at Minsmere last week & out of the six I got 4 that caused that problem, for me .... Deb tried them & they were OK for her!! We have the same make as each other & there's never a problem using each others.  :shrug:

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.  :groan:
Mick