Oily Rag - Dedicated to Pat, Greywolf. 26/06/45 - 04/06/18 > Tyres

Anakee Adventure - Long Term(ish) Review

(1/3) > >>

Rixington43:
TL;DR, very good, me like ;)

* I've really enjoyed this tyre, grippy as hell in the dry and my confidence in the wet and drying conditions has improved no end (This may just be more riding hours but I swear the tyres have helped). Did the Kielder Forest Drive (12 miles of unsealed gravel and on a damp day following rain) and I was definitely the most comfortable of our group, yes I have a lot of hours on an MTB but those on pure road tyres seemed to suffer a lot more fishtailing in the muddy bits and a lot more wheel spin in the loose stoney bits (their refusal to stand up won't have helped mind). Safe to say my chronic 'Gravel Car Parkitis' is completely cured ;)
Lifespan, the question everyone asks, especially at a time like this.
Photos below at nearly 7k, front and rear are down to about 2.5-3mm to go until the wear bars, not sure where they started but I expect a good few miles yet, 10k Anakee III territory might be a push too far. The shoulders have rippled up whereas the centre hasn't so the dual compounds are seemingly a fair bit different which is nice. Even this tyre will die from squaring off first and I don't really do any mile munching but I like to think I'll have got value for money out of the whole width rather than just the strip down the middle. Hard road riding in the European heat wave did reveal a bit of deformation on the leading edge of the shoulder blocks, I think you could kill the edges before the middle if you were exclusively railing twisties, this 'give' never felt like squirm to me though.
Think I'll probably have another set unless they release something new before I'm ready.

Rixington43:
Final report;

Rear is on the wear bars at 8.5K, would perhaps pass an MOT if the tester was tame but I won't risk it. Yes it's squared off but the transition is fairly rounded so it isn't giving me that "Drop off a cliff" feeling
Front is fine but buggered headrace bearings and a slightly loose wheel bearing towards the last few thousand miles have caused it to scallop a bit unevenly on one side so a new pair are going on this Friday.
Christ they've become expensive but I still think they're worth the coin so on go another set.

Rookie:
It's nice to see a good report on tyres, it will soon be time for new hoops for my bike. As I have the same bike I will certainly consider these, although looking at your picture I'm probably a fair bit heavier than you so they might not go quite as far  lol

Rixington43:
I'm about 15st geared up but before lunch  :grin:

kwackboy:
Have these on my BMW, I'm about 5k in on my second set, great tyres... !!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version