Author Topic: Alternative/Replacement Clutch Master Cylinder  (Read 924 times)

Offline FinishedFall

• Bike: SV1000
Alternative/Replacement Clutch Master Cylinder
« on: October 13, 2020, 12:51:02 »
Good Morning all,

I should by meantioning that this discussion is for an Sv1000, however I hope it will be relevant and to find some answers since the VStrom has the same engine. The top is swaping clutch master cylinders, below is the information I have gleaned from the internet and I am hoping someone here has experience swapping master cylinders on their VStrom or SV.

From what I can gather, alot of people have swaped both brake and clutch master cylinders with those from a zx14, some with pictures, but none with the markings to let people know what size they are. Here I will list changes in the ratios based on this and the respective bore sizes so we know what we are talking about.

Stock Suzuki:

Clutch Master Cylinder: 14mm bore (as per marking on the cylinder) x 20mm stroke (as best as I can measure)
Brake Master Cylinder: 16mm bore x 20 mm (as best as I can measure)

ZX14/ ZZr14 etc. :
Clutch Master Cylinder: 3/4 inch ie. 19mm bore x 20 mm stroke - this is the only size I could find on the internet, only other one I could find that kawasaki have put on their bikes is the 11/16 one for the new H2.
Brake Master Cylinder: 11/16 inch ie. 17.5 mm bore x 20 mm stroke

Stock Suzuki Brake Ratio is 32.5:1, with the Zx14 17.5mm master, the ratio is 26.86, which about what I am after.

Stock Clutch Ratio is 6.24, and with the zx14 3/4 19mm master, the ratio is 3.39.

The important aspect, which is my main concern to those who say they using one from a Zx14, is the slave cylinder travel and whether or not the increase from 3.2mm to 5.89 with the 19mm master cylinder clears the clutch case.

So long story short, to anyone who has done a radial master cylinder swap for their clutch on an SV, would you please tell me the piston size, and if you have done it with one from a Zx14 pair (or other bike), is it a 19mm master cylinder or what size do you recommend, I'm obviously trying to avoid spending 200+ pounds on an aftermarket one.

many thanks to any who have read this far and any information on the topic would be most helpful.

best,