Author Topic: The moaning old git thread  (Read 340119 times)

Brockett and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
Re: The moaning old git thread
« Reply #3920 on: July 10, 2024, 17:55:33 »
Hell No.......leave me out of it........When it comes to a well constructed moan I am a mere amateur.
True genius should be recognised for what it is.

Ho Hum

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200, Victory Crossroads 1731
« Reply #3921 on: July 12, 2024, 10:35:12 »
EV charger operators - why do you have to be so crap ???   :yukk:

Our recnt trip around Scotland highlighted the fact that most EV chargers either don't work, work on low power (about as much use as something that's not much use), need an app' to operate them but there is no phone signal, or need a dedicated RFID card (EV charge card) to operate them. Why can't you just work on a bank card or credit card ? Chargeplace Scotland (who operate a large network of EV chargers across the country) used to be quite good, but have declined massively since our last visit. No one answers the helpline, app's don't work often enough (I'm still charging the car in Ballater apparently) and most are just not working.

A bit like bikers EV drivers are in general a frinedly enough bunch and are usually very happy to have a chat. Everyone we spoke to had the same issues as us and some were really struggling, especially the overseas drivers (mostly Dutch). If the government want's to hit any viable environmental targets this needs to improve double-quick. I spole to one Dutch driver who was going back to diesel as he was so fed up.

The only chargers (and there were very few of them in Scotland) that regularly worked were the BP Pulse and Shell Recharge. Obviously & predictably, these were also the most expensive at 85p per kWh (or about £10 for 50 miles, hardly a bargain but worth every penny when the battery is getting low...).
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3922 on: July 12, 2024, 11:28:33 »
Jeepers - £10 for 50miles!!! #yorkshirebattlecry

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #3923 on: July 12, 2024, 12:20:08 »
We're on BP Pulse at work. Rather unreliable.

Offline StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
« Reply #3924 on: July 12, 2024, 14:34:09 »
Part of this will be due to the remoteness of much of Scotland, to be fair there are probably not that  many filling stations in many parts too. Unfortunately charge points that were installed by public bodies have suffered like everything else, as councils have been so starved of funding for years, they haven't been maintained properly.
Anything that needs an app fills me with dread as it's just another potential failure point. Contactless is the way to go.
FWIW, as a counterpoint my cost for 50 miles is less then £1 in summer, charging at home on solar and overnight cheap rate, maybe doubling to £2 over winter when solar output is obviously way less.
A rare expensive public charge doesn't shift the dial that much.

Offline 2112

« Reply #3925 on: July 12, 2024, 16:27:47 »
Predictably, my Chargeplace Scotland RFID card arrived today. Three weeks late....  :GRR:

Online Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #3926 on: July 12, 2024, 22:47:17 »
In a local shopping area the carparking spaces outside Argos, an inconvenience to the maximum number of shoppers,  to have been chained off and Charge stations are being erected. In the Chelmsford area is a shopping area half the parking spaces are being converted to charging stations. Given the expense of the works, the people investing is these things must be expecting a huge return.   
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #3927 on: Today at 07:14:28 »
2112: There is a youtube channel called Marc Travels. He's a German bloke riding around the world on an electric bike.

He did a lap of the UK, as did Teapot One, around two years ago and found exactly the same issues and Wales was worse than Scotland.

The business model all these EV companies have adopted is all wrong. They have focussed on fleet use instead of point of sale.

It's unsurprising to hear of people considering a return to ICE vehicles.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline 2112

« Reply #3928 on: Today at 07:16:40 »
Yes, I've watched the Teapot one video. It's a sorry state and no mistake, no doubt it will be a top priority for our new leaders to address...

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #3929 on: Today at 10:06:16 »
NeilM, folks aren't considering moving back to ICE cars, they are returning to ICE in droves. Manufacturers have concentrated on high end EV's which are about as much use as a choccy tea pot when it comes to driving them to somewhere more distant than your local McD's.
Still yes, I'm sure the new government will have new free charging stations on every street corner by a week on Monday.
Some manufacturers have finally decided to build commuter EV's at a reasonable cost to the consumer, and good on em, as for £50k EV's with 0 to 60 times of three seconds and a 200 mile range who does that really cater for?
I would say folks with more money than sense with a few exceptions.
Although these folks too will have a depreciation shock when they trade em in.
Check out Autotrader for EV prices, they're dropping quicker than a tarts knickers.
Upt.