Author Topic: I'm a traitor and so's my Wife!  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
I'm a traitor and so's my Wife!
« on: August 25, 2016, 13:01:54 »
After reviewing the current use of my ST1300 and Vee, I decided to go back to one bike (the missus doesn't really want to go with me on runs...)

Of course, the sensible option would be to sell the ST1300 and use the cash to ride the bollocks off the Vee. However, I had been lured into test riding multitudes of new machinery after taking 4 days off work and finding the weather very agreeable. So, after test riding the Super Ten, Tracer 900, R1200RT, R1200GS, Versys 1000 and the new Explorer.... :sunny:

I purchased the dealers Explorer XRT demo. Lovely ride, the leccy screen meant no buffeting or wind issues at all. It goes well and the new WP suspension was very good. Bugger all miles on it, a good trade in on the Pan and a decent wedge off the new price (and free Triumph Givi Outback panniers) had me signing on the line.

Super Ten ran it close, might still go to that if the Explorer turns out to be a duffer. RT & GS were, for me, shite. Too much vibes and awful seats, GS might as well have been an R1200R for all the wind protection it offered. The Versys was a decent machine - lovely engine and easy to hoon about on too. Tracer would be fine for short runs, but not comfy enough for all day jaunts - and I didn't like the half finished look.

Tried to get a shot on a Veek but the only Suzuki dealer within a 2 hr ride had rented out their demo bike for two weeks to a Euro biker on his hols. No second hand ones except a '15 Desert beige one, but it was not rideable as they had raided it for bits for another customer.

The Vee will be up for sale in due course...

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: I'm a traitor and so's my Wife!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 18:29:55 »
Nice bike. Good health to enjoy. My mate has the new tex too, really likes it. If you don't like buffeting and vib's you would more than like not like the Veek anyway. The standard screen is wick, the mra not much better and there's vibration over 80. I miss the smoothness of my wee tiger 800 at times. Good luck

Offline Abercol

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 13:56:49 »
Here's a piccy to tempt you to the Dora club...

Cheers

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 14:21:24 »
I came so close to buying one of those instead of my S10, The TEX engine is a peach :-)

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 20:02:58 »
I have ridden my friends GS, imho it is a two wheel tractor !!.. Some love em,  Me I would not touch one with your bum..   BTW it is being compared to the fantastic Tiger 1050, so it has a lot to live up to

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 20:25:27 »
I've had 5 machines by the Bavarian Muppetry Wallahs and am now cured. Weird designs mean they have to cut corners on the materials. The dealers truely believe the Bring My Wallet marketing strategies and aren't just obeying orders. No more for me unless they really do make something no one else does.

Triumph in my experience want to become Broken Motorcycles Worldwide inc, and are copying as much as they can,  so I'd have stuck with the Japanese, but my Triumph had a lot of good bits too.

Andy

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 21:50:22 »
Three BMW acronyms in one rant. I love it!!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Abercol

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 14:52:37 »
I too suffered the Bavarian Motor Wonky. I've never had so many major faults with wallet emptying abilities with any other motorised transport, two wheels or four (and I've ridden some crap old bangers over the years, but enough about the missus) so, although I test rode them (just to check the "improvements" you understand) they were not on my shortlist. I really liked the Super Ten too so if the Explorer looks like being a flaky, ill designed dog of a bike (aka a BMW) then I'll swap it out.

Offline Flanners

• Bike: 15 DL1000 99 Daytona 955i 05 GSXR1000
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 08:39:25 »
I had an 1150 Adventure before the Vee and it is the most unreliable POS I have ever owned it had full BMW service history and 27000m (so nearly run in according to GSer.com). The Halls Sensor went left us stranded in London and then with the AA, the bearings in the Paralever needed replacing, the fuel pump overheated and blew up (due to low fuel my fault I guess). The finish was poor with corrosion on the pots. Luckily they hold their money so having fixed the faults I sold it on. My local mechanic told me not to go near the 12. I bought the Bummmer to go around Europe/World but it left me feeling that it was not up to circa 100miles from home.

The Vee has been great and I have made numerous trips to the continent sorted out the low rev/gear restrictions with the TRE and it was doing nigh on 50mpg in France this week.....I do look at what I would go for next maybe a Ducati or a 2015 Veek.