Author Topic: Anakee 2  (Read 32381 times)

Offline Georgeharrier

Anakee 2
« on: July 15, 2011, 07:55:51 »
Final given up on my OEM wings after 8000 miles and fitted a set of Anakee 2 to the Wee. didn't have a problem with the OEM boots and the bike is on the road all year.
Look forward to breaking the new boots in and see how they handle.

:auto-dirtbike:
George T

Its pointless owning a parrot unless you teach it to say "HELP THEY TURNED ME INTO A PARROT"

Life is a game to be played not a battle to be fought.

Offline neltek

• Bike: V-Strom 650 GT 2010
Re: Anakee 2
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 10:35:46 »
look forward to your review...
V-Strom 650 GT

ex:
SV650 K6
MZ301
Gilera DNA

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 11:57:28 »
+1 for anakees!

Ride Coordinator

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 08:43:44 »
didn't think I had a problem with Trailwings until I got tha Anakees, what a difference. Handles like a dream now.
Honda xr125, Bandit 650, v-strom 650 ABS 2001 W650 Versys 1000

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:24:41 »
Funny you should say it like that, I took a ride on longman's bike when we had Stromtrekkers I, he had Trailwings on. It was difficult to lean it, was like it didn't want to turn, only wanted to go in a straight line. Was so bad I stopped and checked if the cables and such around the triple tree wasn't perhaps restricting the  bars from turning. He was also surprised how much better the bike turns with Anakee 2 tyres on (he fitted some shortly after.)
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline ADV.john

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 20:35:12 »
I to has trailwings on & had no probs. But due to a europe trip I changed the rear tyre to a Anakee 2. Road around europe for 6 days 2.5k on it and the rear tyre showed no wear at all & gripped awesomely. So when I got back I changed the front tyre to a Anakee 2 as well. boy what a difference. It felt like the front tyre was loosing grip on every bend. it wasn't . It just felt so different then the trailwing. It took at least 250mile to feel comfortable with it. It still has the noblets all over the tyre. so I'am expecting really good mileage out of them.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TLD 2010:Lowestoft to Dingle. 767 miles.15hrs &3mins. 1763m in total
TLD 2011: Blackpool to The Eiffel Tower. 14hrs&35 mins 565 miles

Offline royzx7r

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 17:47:47 »
What sort of money are Anakee2 tyres compaired to Trailwings?
"I'm Spartacus"

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 22:08:14 »
Last set I put on I paid £205 fitted and balanced with new valves when I took in the wheels. My previous rear saw ~15k, no idea how long a front lasts yet, but mine still looks good.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 22:34:25 »
£203.80 fitted- riding the bike in.

Pontarddulais Tyres, near Swansea- Little garage, but bike mad bloke- likes a chat!

Ride Coordinator

Offline cearnshaw

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 23:29:41 »
220 fitted ride-in + balanced, SMD Leigh
Honda xr125, Bandit 650, v-strom 650 ABS 2001 W650 Versys 1000

Offline Georgeharrier

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 07:53:02 »
Quote from: "cearnshaw"

Not a bad price, I paid £240 ride in ride out, but that was near at GS Tyres near Reading where everything cost a lot more than up T`north. :violin:
Good service there and is you get an MOT or work done there mech only charges about £35 an hour which is good for around here.

George
George T

Its pointless owning a parrot unless you teach it to say "HELP THEY TURNED ME INTO A PARROT"

Life is a game to be played not a battle to be fought.

Offline stevie-m

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 08:45:59 »
Big thumbs up for Anakees here, I know it's not much use to most, but mine were £170 fitted, ride in ride out at A1 tyres here in Northern Ireland.

Offline royzx7r

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2011, 21:32:00 »
Quote from: "cearnshaw"

I've always got my tyres from SMD.  I guess its the Anakee's next then.
"I'm Spartacus"

Offline Steve67

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 10:25:09 »
Just had the same dilemma. 9000 miles on my original trailwings, but got a 3500 mile europe tour in a few weeks. The tyres look good and with my current wear rate was tempted to chance it; reading on the web that once I have put the missus and 50kg of kit on the back the wear will increase exponentially. Not wanting to be caught looking for tyres in a foreign land, especially at the direction of the local police! Had a change of heart and decided to change them before I go.

My local tyre shop has ordered me in a pair of Anakees to be fitted a couple of days before I leave, reckons they only need 100 miles on the mid 70% to scrub in.
I'm no mechanic so went for the drive in / drive out service and was quoted, inc balancing etc. £296.

Reasonable in West London anyone???

Offline Ryderman

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 17:39:37 »
Hi All,
Need some advice pse. My K2 Vee, bought recently, has a perfectly good Battlax 021 rear, almost new. The front, an 020, is squared off, quite nastily. Despite having loads of tread left, I don't like it, as I like to tip into corners, and want a replacement. My trouble is I can't find  an 020 replacement front tyre and I can't match the rear as it stands with a Battlax, it seems.
I don't really want to bin the rear just yet, but if I don't match the front and rear, I go against all the advice on the subject.
I like the reviews and the look of the Continental Road/Trail Attacks or the Annakees and both would, I think, suit my growing ride style. I am a newbie to bikes, having just done my DAS, but am an old roadie.
Is it OK to fit a Road/Trail Attack or Annakee and keep the Battlax rear, or do I have to bite the bullet?
This is probably a repeat question for which I appologise but, although searching this great site, I can't find any threads here that would help my problem and I don't have any fellow Vee Strommers on the Island that I have found to ask, as yet.
Ta Loads.
  :ty:
Vee Happy - old but can STILL bring a Grin.

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 09:20:33 »
That's a tricky one, but I'll venture an opinion :grin:  The tyre manufacturer and most tyre salesmen would tell you to replace both, firstly it is the safe option and secondly they make the most money that way.

Personally I think that front and rear tyres are different anyway and as long as you don't go too radical on the tread pattern and shape of the tyre you'll probably be OK if you take the time to get used to it properly. So in line with that, the Road Attack are probably the best option. Trail attack is probably still OK. The Anakee II will likely feel quite unusual to what you are used to, but they are great in the wet and dry, very predictable and you can do a bit of off road pootling and some shallow mud with them. It's only ~£205 (what I paid last time) for a set of Anakee IIs fitted and balanced if you take the wheels in. Plenty of threads on the Anakees IIs around on here if you need more info on them, they really are one of the best dual sport tyres available. Come to think of it, I don't recall a single bad word on them from anyone so far :shrug:

So, IMHO, if you want to stick to road tyres, might be best to move over to the Road Attacks, else do a set of Anakee IIs.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 10:30:13 »
had a pair of Road Pilots fitted but the rear was bald- wanted Anakees as Juvecu said havent heard a bad word about them, every other tyre I read up on people say they are good but have slight issues in a. b. and c. areas- Anakee? urm it don't like deep mud off-road! OK anakee's it is as I'm not intending to go through deep mud but WILL be riding in heavy rain where some have issues with nearly every tyre out there.
I really loved the road pilots and did take them through flowing rivers of deep water at over 50mph on local roads- never squermed a bit. Only ever got the back to step out when pushing really hard banked over doing silly speed in Brecon!  :auto-dirtbike: and still grinning  :neen:
Was shocked how well the front held on in heavy rain even though it is almost slick compared to a Trail tyre! Really loved the Pilots. so when I say the Anakee's are 10x better- they really are that good!
Had them fitted in the pissing rain and going home (just scrubbing them in) was banking over far more than I was comfortable with the Pilot Roads!
As long as I can get them and have the strom, another tyre type will never go on the bike!  :auto-dirtbike:

but as a result I will soon be needing a new bash plate as this Moto Agora one is low and wide, and is slowly being eaten by the road, along with the 'hero blobs' and my new boots! (only every used to get it grinding with the mrs on the back, now I can happily bank it over and get it to scrap with only my weight pushing her closser to the floor!) and I'm looking to get racing boots so I can change the sliders!  :lala:
Anakee's Rule!

oops the Soapbox just collapsed!

Ride Coordinator

Offline Ryderman

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 18:36:29 »
Tks Juveco,

Methinks I'll have to bite the bullet and get a set of Annakees fitted and take it from there.

By the way - for a newbie, I really like the site and spend many times just browsing and liking lots the threads etc. :clap:
Vee Happy - old but can STILL bring a Grin.

Offline PHIL FAT

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 20:25:03 »
took the plunge just bought 2 anakee 2 tyres from buckley tyres ride in ride out 217.25 well chuffed with them only problem I have found is a bit more vibration through the handelbars but the ride is so much better can't wait to get them fully scrubbed in thanks for all the info on these tyres  :ty:  :thumb:
Too Old To Die Young

Offline BluesBoy

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 23:02:58 »
A puncture in my front TrailWing has meant I replaced it with an Anakee 2.  Rear remains as TrailWing with 2400miles on it.  The bike feels like it suddenly manoeuvres a lot faster.  Difficult to describe but it's like it wants to roll left or right much more even on a straight line.    I imagine it would swerve much faster than with the TrailWing on it.   Is this normal?  Is it the tyre profile or something?  Or have I messed up by mixing my tyres?  It only has 20 miles on it so maybe it's just because it's new and unscrubbed?