Author Topic: Ypres Town center  (Read 795 times)

Offline Georgeharrier

Ypres Town center
« on: July 16, 2012, 16:34:08 »
Blue Wee in Ypres town square Friday afternoon about 1600.  Had uk plates.

George
George T

Its pointless owning a parrot unless you teach it to say "HELP THEY TURNED ME INTO A PARROT"

Life is a game to be played not a battle to be fought.

Offline Georgeharrier

Re: Ypres Town centre
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 18:05:39 »
Quote from: "Ali"
Ypres amazes me. All those beautiful old buildings and then you remember in 1918 there was nothing there other than flattened rubble.

Did you do the Last Post. Quite moving.

Met a couple of Kiwi blokes and took them to the last post on Friday, then did it again on Saturday as part of a reef laying by the RBLR.

The Kiwi`s had driven an old Daimler from Shanghai, took them 50 days, they were heading to England on Saturday for a few day and selling the car before flying home. Great blokes if a bit mad
George T

Its pointless owning a parrot unless you teach it to say "HELP THEY TURNED ME INTO A PARROT"

Life is a game to be played not a battle to be fought.

Offline Petrust

Re: Ypres Town centre
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:26:16 »
Quote from: "Ali"
Did you do the Last Post. Quite moving.

For a number of years I've been to Ypres with with members of Surrey Fire & Rescue for the Armistice ceremonies. On November 11th a huge number of people assemble near the church, and each is given a poppy petal to carry. The "poppy parade" then marches with bands through the town to the Menin Gate (the archway through which tens of thousands of soldiers passed through in WW1, never to return) where all the poppy petals are collected. At 1100 as the last post is sounded by buglers of the Ypres fire service, thousands of petals rain down from the top of the gateway.
If you come away from there without a large lump in your throat, there's something wrong with you.......