Author Topic: Leaving a bike abroad for holiday use.  (Read 453 times)

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Leaving a bike abroad for holiday use.
« on: February 14, 2024, 16:38:01 »
I visit Spain quite often and sometimes for quite a while, last time was two and a half months. I fly out so miss my bike terribly while away from it.
On my last visit my friend questioned why I don't bring a bike out and leave it there to be used by me while there.

That seems to me to be the perfect option but how feasible is it ? I have two bikes so could take one of them or would it be better to buy one there?  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
Re: Leaving a bike abroad for holiday use.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 17:39:01 »
Doc,
I don't understand all the in's and out's but I know people who've tried and failed. The beurocracy beat them down with a stick.
I think the general consensus was just buy one there but of course you need a residential address for registration, insurance and taxation purposes.
Good luck and I hope someone comes along who can help you out.
Upt.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 18:48:54 »
Upt North has the right view on bikes abroad. You would have to export your UK bike to another country with lots of pitfalls and expense. That would probably incur duties and scratching around for a Certificate of Conformity. Then the problem of insurance if you don't have permanent address or residency which I assume you don't. Beyond that you may have to permanently insure the bike even if it's not being used for months on end (no such thing as SORN in France, for example, Spain I don't know). Every country's rules are now different since Brexit (actually because of Brexit as the rules were always there for other 3rd countries) and Shengen gives you max. 90 days in 180.

Buying and insuring in Spain would be the most practical solution.
So how's it going so far then?

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 19:29:26 »
Thank you both for your answers to the question. So, I'll sell my second bike (as previously planned) and ask my friend if he will register and insure the bike I may buy there. To be honest I would prefer a Honda XR250/400 for Spain as you can cover massive distances without touching a road and if I have a kickstart it will help.  :thumb:

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 22:53:36 »
I can confirm the XR400 is an excellent bike and as long as you don't require high road speed all is good. Off road they are amazing.
Upt.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2024, 06:14:28 »
Why not simply hire a bike as and when needed abroad?
Owning your own bike may have some perks, but there are a few down sides when a bike has to be stored for long periods. Think of safe parking / storage costs (theft / damage), fuel stabiliser for long term storage, annual insurance fees, tyres perish over time, service costs, unplanned spares may be required, licence fees, etc, etc. 
To me, when hiring you have not only choosing a bike for the purpose, but you have an option of riding various models / brands and this in itself could be viewed as an adventure.
I'd rather spend time riding while on holiday than having to spend time first doing maintenance on the bike before you are able to ride. Add to that hope that there are spares readily available.
Bottom line, you alone have to decide which is more cost effective for your circumstances.

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2024, 08:55:49 »
That's a good assessment Gert but hiring comes with a fairly big price. Daily rates here in France can range between 65€ and 200€ per day insurance included, weekly rental probably better value I would think. However you need a big deposit (caution). An MT-07 I viewed needed a 2400€ payment up front.

If you want the freedom of a bike for a month or two like The Doctor 46 then maybe buying one is the best all round solution. Bikes here are not cheap though. Not sure on Spain prices.

Weigh up everything and that might point you to your best option.   :icon_wink:

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2024, 10:42:53 »
If you're going to stay in Spain for a month or two why not ride your own bike down & back?
It'll take 3/4/5 (depending on route & mileage per day) days at each end of your stay.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2024, 11:51:17 »
That would be a good idea in the summer Mick but the last visit was November to February, not the best months to be riding almost to Gibraltar and not the most pleasant time to be riding in Spain either, the roads are very slippery there when wet. I'm going to ride in Europe this spring all being well. I'm not sure for how long or where to but I may end up (probably end up) knocking on my friends door in Spain. Thank you all for your views, I'm going to mull the idea over.  :thumb:

Oh!, I have rented bikes in Dubai, Cyprus, Morocco, Kefalonia, Tenerife and England too. I even rode a Tuk tuk in Bangkok. Except for Morocco the rental was expensive but Cyprus was the best. I asked if it was okay to bring the bike back dirty if I went down a trail. The answer was "I expect you to ride off road and it will get dirty". It got very dirty  :thumb: 

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2024, 16:03:32 »
Sorry Doc I don't really understand your reasoning for not riding down on your own bike.
Yes, over the winter period getting from this country towards the South of France might be on the cooler side & wet (proper clothing will sort that) but once heading South in Spain the temperature should be a nice average temperature for riding a bike? Personally when I've been to Spain in the summer it's been too bloody hot to ride & an air conditioned bar close to a pool is preferable!
Plus if you were intending to leave a bike there, or hire one, you'd still be riding on those slippery roads? So, better the bike you know well?   :shrug:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline bladeowner

• Bike: DL650 L9, Honda Fireblade RRY
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2024, 20:18:51 »
A mate of mine rides his bike down into Spain and then flies back a while later leaving his bike in Spain. I asked him about and this was his reply -

yes it's common to do it, I can recommend a long term parking place at Málaga if he needs it. At Valencia I have an arrangement with a hotel to park in their garage but in the past have parked at Barcelona, Valencia, Madrid, Faro and Alicante aeroportos but I always list it as a car for simplicity. Airport parking is not ideal both security wise and due to the intense sunlight and rain. The legal side means in theory it's limited to 6 months after which it should be re-registered in Spain. Finally bear in mind any theft or fully comp insurance is not valid if it's left in parking in the EU without the owner being there, I'm not certain about this but it's my understanding, hence choose parking carefully. I've tried various storage locker places but they need to see it's been drained of petrol and the security is usually very poor, a crappy sheet metal hasp and cheap padlock.

Offline Fossie

• Bike: DL650
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2024, 23:22:29 »
My tupenneth is from experience in France ..I had/have a 650 Katana I built from spares but it was now in the way , here in UK.  So took to my gaff in France..Issue being for the Insurance to be valid it needs and MOT and tax.. but its in France and there is no MOT on bikes  not that would be accepted in Uk anyway ..
   Some French companies would insure the bike on UK plates  but its a temporary in theory policy which is valid 1 year but technically the bike could only be there 90 days ..on UK plates
  I overcame the issue  :icon_wink:
  However  partly to see how the process works and to aide writing an article for the Katana owners club I put it on French plates ...What a nonsense, it had to be standarrd and inspected by local Suzuki dealer who hadn't a clue as to what it was, a letter from Suzuki Paris needed to be obtained first then inspected in line with the form..sent away to be stamped , returned to obtain temporary Carte Gris (V5) which would then get a full Carte gfis to my address in France but had to be signed for by me as its a legal document , but I may be at the address so it would have gone back to Paris and the bike not unregistered anywhere as part of the process obviously deregs from Swansea. :lala:
   I did it , it took 14 months.. as opposed to a few weeks here in UK. :icon_wink:
  Downside although I have abike there , as said in France continuos  registration is the law and unlike here you don't just let the policy lapse and get a new one , the new company inform the old company to take over the policy , so compare and drive down the fee ain't a thing.
  Also draining the carbs and disconnecting the battery ensures instant starting and running , but it's a hassle when it's only for a week or so.
  Now the bike is 40 years on course I could go historic and the lack of MOT and tax would make it easier to use my classic insurance , but legally only for 30 days.. :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink: :icon_wink:
  But I'd have to rereg it in UK  :haha:
  Buying a local bike would've been an option , but again not 100% legal as the resident on the policy isn't a resident. :smirk:

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2024, 20:05:53 »
A good assessment of how things work here and how long it can take Fossie. You imported it. To add an extra problem is that if your vehicle is registered here, even in bits, it has to be insured by Law (you did cover that in part). So, year long insurance is a necessity. You either have a legally registered and insured bike here or it has been officially destroyed (yes that's what the form says) and taken out of circulation, therefore no longer exists.

If you have a Carte Grise for the bike it qualifies as a 'Vehicule de Collection' after 30 years but you have to get the description on the Carte Grise changed, it's not automatic. It needs to be registered with the FFVE, Fédération Française des Véhicules D'Epoque who certify the details of your bike. You then forward that to ANTS to change the category on the Carte Grise. Both costs money though.  There are advantages like excusing poluting emissions, some insurace advantages and the right to use old fashion small number plates in black/white. Also, with a new Contrôle Technique test (MOT) for bikes soon it will only be necessary every 5 years instead of 3 years for ordinary registered bikes.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2024, 20:34:39 »
After reading replies to my question, I have realised that I couldn't cope with the hassle involved in leaving a bike or buying a bike in Spain so, it's not going to happen. I'll be booking my DL650 in for MOT and when it's passed it will be sold leaving me with one bike which will be at home with me in England.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply and all your valuable advise. I love this site.  :thumb: