Author Topic: Surefire Sonic Defenders EP4  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Endurance

Surefire Sonic Defenders EP4
« on: October 09, 2014, 16:15:11 »
1. First Impressions/Unboxing Impressions

I purchased my pair from Amazon so no surprise with the delivery or packaging. The box they come in is nothing exceptionally special, clear see through design showing the plugs and the noise ratings they reduce. The plugs come with a clear plastic container ideally suited to storing them when not in use, ideal for keeping in your pocket when wearing as to store them safely at a café stop ect.

2. Initial Setup/Installation

Initially I was a tad confused setting them up but a quick look online for the most efficient way of putting them in quickly set me straight. In reality you shove them in your ears but the unique design means they fit fully into the ear lobe and 'Anchor' themselves with their design into the various grooves of your ear so I wanted to make sure they fitted correctly. Once fluent with fitting it takes seconds to install them, once they are in they are not going to move or be dislodged.

The plugs can have a secondary plug inserted to increase noise reduction (-2db) but remove the ability to hear normal conversations (Will explain more later) and have the option to lanyard them together so they can be removed and draped around the neck, I didn't fit the lanyard as it seemed pointless on a bike!

3. Real World Testing (how did it perform)

Noise Reduction:
Compared to wearing no ear protection they were exceptional. The design removes top end noise to protect hearing but still allows you to hear standard conversations and the engine, my first trip out it felt almost wrong not having the blasting sound of the wind in my ears but that feeling quickly subsided! The way they reduce the noise I feel is perfect, it removes the harmful elements but leaves what you want to hear there.

Comfort:
Once again exceptional, the very compact fit-into-lobe design means I can easily get my lid on and off without catching or dislodging the plugs, once fitted on occassion I've even wondered if I had put them in as its sometimes tough to tell if they are there or not. The design also means they stay in place; the materials they are made from are a form of surgicial polymer? Very soft and flexible.

4. Specs & Other noteworthy facts

- Cost £14 from Amazon
- 24db Noise Reduction (Inner plugs out) 26db Noise Reduction (Inner plugs in)
- Surgicial polymer gives exceptional comfort and fitting
- Plugs will last around 6 months until they need replacing depending on use as the polymer stiffens and they become less effective
- Come in different fits (Small, Medium, Large) Refer to the sizing guides on which to buy (Generally most people are mediums) as it is measured by the size of your inner ear
- Various levels of Sonic Defenders can be brought, if you desire more protection consider the EP5's or EP6's but lose the ability to hear standard conversations.

5. Tester's Opinion (summary)

If you don't wear ear plugs these are definitely a must buy, the riding comfort and experience is considerably better with them in and I find the fatigue induced by long rides is reduced massively by wearing them. Very easy to store and clean (Cold running water wipe down and dry)  but most importantly keeps your hearing around! I feel the price paid is more then reasonable for a 6 month product of this quality.

The only downside I have found with them are due to the size its easy to lose them if you drop them in the dark, cue five minutes of searching with a torch.

6. Star Rating

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: 5 star = Will purchase again without doubt.

7. Pictures