Author Topic: new bike, punctures again.  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Oldleathers

• Bike: Yamaha Tracer 9
new bike, punctures again.
« on: September 19, 2023, 20:46:22 »
Evening all
As usual new bike, new tyres, 1400 miles puncture in the rear tyre, I think when I had my new 1050xt I managed 700 miles before a fence nail made love to the rear tyre. Bridgestone tyres must be getting super soft the latest puncture was a piece of slate. I managed to repair it road side with sticky strings to  get me home.
oldleathers

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: new bike, punctures again.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 20:51:57 »
If you were able to repair it with sticky string then I would take it to a motorcycle tyre place & ask them to put a 'more permanent' repair on it. They take the tyre off and put a patch on the inside. I've had a few done like that over the years & ride for thousands of miles with it.
The puncture does have to be in a repairable area though, not close to the sidewalls.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Oldleathers

• Bike: Yamaha Tracer 9
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 21:08:48 »
Cheers Mick that's my intention the puncture was dead centre so I'm living in hope I can't believe the cost of the new bridgestone 32s if I have to replace it I think I'll go for the older 023's.
Oldleathers

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 17:15:51 »
If you do need to replace it just buy a rear tyre. I've been running around this last 2 years on a Michelin road 5 front with an older pilot road 2 rear, can't tell any difference, I'm sure the Bridgestone's would be no different.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 20:50:09 »
I'd still opt for the BT-023 over the newer models - same level of grip with a longer life span.

the T-30, 31 & 32 are all efforts for increase sales with the same level of grip and less lifespan than the 023.  - higher number must be better, mustn't it???  lol

They got the formular spot on with the BT-023, I have to really crack open the throttle on the GSX1400 to make the rear step out even slightly on a warm dry road. Wet weather grip is also far ahead of the competition back in the day, and only surpassed by the like of the Conti sport range  now but the Conti's have far less lifespan.

To be honest, if it's holding air and there is a decent amount of rubber left, I'd just leave the plug in. I've been running a Dyna plug in the rear of my car for 2-3k now, no issues.
if your parrinoid

Ride Coordinator

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 22:38:10 »
    I thought they had stopped making the 023 now ?
Ian Mc.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 06:44:21 »
The puncture does have to be in a repairable area though, not close to the sidewalls.

Interestingly enough, I had a puncture in my Bridgestone (!) car tyre on my MG 5 EV. These ar quite pricey at £150 a pop, so I was less than pleased to discover it was right at the edge of the tyre in the 'major' repair section. Anyhoo, I stumped up for a new tyre and my tyre fitter sent the old one away to see if a major repair was possible. A week later and it was back & repaired for a reasonable £17.50. I now have a nearly new spare tyre in case of future events. If you have a good/reputable tyre shop they should be able to send it away for a 'malor' repair if it's close to the edge.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline rikpward

• Bike: DL1050XT, Moto Morini 350 Strada, Buell XB9R Firebolt, Yamaha MT09
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2023, 11:37:52 »
You should be questioning how you ride, not the tyre.