Author Topic: Rear carrier weights!!  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Marshside

• Bike: DL650A L3
Rear carrier weights!!
« on: March 29, 2018, 14:03:27 »
Can anyone help.  The rear carrier on my Glee says weight limit of 10kg, I've now fitted a Givi Plate for my top box and the weight limit for that is stated as 6kg.  The empty weight of my Givi Maxia top box is more than either of them! The rear carrier of the bike seems very substantial and the Givi plate is something like 1/4" plate, so can anyone explain these low weight limits.  I've toured all over the UK legal and above legal speeds(oops) with no problem and no sign of anything falling off.  Sticking to the criteria it means I can't carry any clean undies when going away :angry-banghead: Help.

Online chris1200

• Bike: 2008 V Strom 650.
Re: Rear carrier weights!!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 14:12:09 »
Covering their own arses if anything goes wrong ma mate that's all. The only caveat really is if the bike is handling OK with the weight you put on there. I try to keep all the weight low down and shared around the bike when "She" is with me but the top box is still way over the alleged limits. Never had a problem and never even thought about it.

Offline Marshside

• Bike: DL650A L3
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 14:17:09 »
Ta for that Chris, suspected that might be the case, never had any handling probs, just thought I'd see what others thoughts were on the matter :ty:

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 18:55:10 »
When I overload the top box I always crank up the rear suspension pre-load. I didn't once and it felt as if the front wheel was floating.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 19:41:17 »
As already said , the manufacturers are covering their back sides.
I don't see how a rack can have a max load of say 10kg when their boxes weigh half that weight.  :crazy:.
With loading up boxes and panniers common sense should be taken, spread the load evenly,  I used to load my vee with wey over the recommended values with zero issues, except when it fell over then then I had a problem ..  lol

Geez ... I miss that bike .. :bawl:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 20:18:08 »
Cheers Kwackboy, wondered how to load me glee up for Wales  :thumb: :smirk:
May your God go with you...
(Dave Allen)

Offline Griff2

• Bike: DL1000 L6
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 18:21:07 »
I am not a fan of topboxes especially when riding solo as that is when they can cause handling issues on some bikes. However they are a necessity for me when riding two up with the Wife as a backrest for Her. Even then I tend to keep the load in the topbox as light as possible with the heaviest items in the tankbag and then the panniers etc.

The only issues when riding two up with an overloaded top box is lightness of the front end and a tendency to push the front end on tight bends and the like.