Author Topic: Outdoor covers  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Tiny

• Bike: 2016 BMW R1200GSA
Outdoor covers
« on: August 23, 2014, 11:19:34 »
Hi all,

I don't have a garage & I'm looking for a decent outdoor cover so was wondering what the good people on here recommend? I often have the top box on the bike so am looking for a cover that would accommodate it. Less important are the panniers although a cover that would accommodate them may be an advantage.

I've looked at the Oxford Stormex & Rainex covers but they only go up to a large where their lighter Aquatex one goes up to an XL with an allowance for a top box.

There's also a V-Strom one on ebay from Suzuki does anyone have one of these?

I'm the master of ordering things that don't fit so any assistance wold be greatly appreciated!

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Outdoor covers
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 17:40:42 »
Quote from: "Tiny"
I'm the master of ordering things that don't fit.
Well your name is Tiny.   :neen:
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 17:59:54 »
Cheers Martin, saved me a job there! lol
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 12:20:04 »
I'm sure I've seen a few threads related to covers to fit the Strom with a top box before. Try a search you might find something useful :thumb:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline adst

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 14:12:22 »
I use get geared ..Held xl it fits even with top box ...and enough to hold down in gales ..bricks bungees or anything yo hand ... Canvas / metallized finish well waterproof and can stick it on even when exhaust hot ..
Get geared do a forum discount too
Because life is the journey not the destination?  
"Dr.Pat Garrod ..Bearback "

Offline Tiny

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 16:44:28 »
Cheers all, will have a look, got a discount code for them too.

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 10:54:51 »
What is your situation storage space wise??

I ask as I too don't have a garage...not allowed one on my grade 2 listed property (the garden walls are listed and one would have to come down to put a garage in) no shed as the driveway is a goat track slope...so I bought a 2.7x1.4m storage shelter from Protech Shelters (now bust).

On getting another bike and finding a larger shelter was required to house the two I got a 3x2.5m one from Dancover http://www.dancover.co.uk for £200 odds - sounds a lot, but its ride in, ride out for two bikes, big enough to use as a workshop, hasd power, light and, if its the same as my original one, will still look like new in 5 years time. Dancover also do a similar model to the one I got from Protech for about £150odds.

I would give away my original one, but the Mrs has offered it to her mates as a log store...

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 11:57:56 »
This cover is over my dad's 700 Deauville. The top box isn't fitted but there is plenty of material there accommodate it. My dad uses a bungee around the top box mount to take up the extra. my dad is just looking to find out where he bought it from!

Offline Tiny

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 15:36:23 »
I'd ideally have a shelter but can't fit it into the space the bike is kept. I have a decent sized back garden but have the bike on top of a terraced patio to one side of it, its in a perfect space & I have created a gate at the side of the house to get access to it. My back garden is otherwise inaccessible apart from down a narrow right angled path unsuitable for the bike. This means that a soft cover is the way to go.

I had a lovely garage until about 5 years ago when I decided that as I wasn't going to buy another bike, I would convert it into a second living room!

That looks like just the item I was thinking of Tall Paul, I was going to buy the Oxford Stormex one but read a review saying it's a bit tight (just like me :) ).

Offline tallpaul

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 10:01:21 »
My dad can't find the sales invoice for his cover but I had a look online and this one is identical.
http://www.dustoffcovers.co.uk/waterproof_hd.htm

Offline Tiny

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 15:15:07 »
Cheers for the info, I'm dithering a bit on buying a cover though. The one in the link looks spot on however it mentions being heatproof on the lower section only which has got me wondering if any of the other heatproof ones allow for the tail mounted exhausts these bikes have.

Currently looking at the Oxford Stormex but going to see if any of the local dealers have anything in to give me an idea of size.

Offline Tiny

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 20:04:46 »
Well I stopped dithering and bought an Oxford Aquatex XL with a bit for the top box. It was only £40 so worth a punt & if its rubbish may well find itself being replaced by a bike store.

I will post my opinions once its been weathered for a week or two.

Thanks once again for the suggestions.

Offline Tiny

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 18:26:27 »
Well after a couple of months use the cover seems to be doing its job. Not unaided mind you, the thing is just too big.

I've had to tie it down in a couple of places as I've noticed it billows in the wind & flaps about quite badly. This has resulted in the lower edges starting to look just a little threadbare. Not badly, just on the seams but noticeable all the same. It might be better if I put the panniers on but as I intend to start breaking the bike down to get the pannier racks, rear sub frame & wheels powder coated I really can't be bothered! The bikes probably had it's last ride out of the year as I want to get a few bits tidied up. Roll on spring.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 19:22:22 »
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline Tiny

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 22:47:23 »
Yes, a couple of my friends use them. Just too big for the place I keep my bike. It'll be in the shed as soon as I get it cleared out, so that I can get it stripped down.

Offline Holmsey

• Bike: DL650 L9
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 08:52:02 »
Quote from: "Fat Rat"
Seen these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/MOTORBIK ... RTM1889342

I have these myself ... one I have had for about 2 years for my scooter and its has only just starting letting water in. but only where the sheet rests on the top box (the rest of the bike is dry)

I will try some waterproof spray on it soon .... but for the price I'm not moaning I'll just buy another
Life on two wheels is better than 4 because the wife don't go on two wheels                " I'M FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE "

IBA Member
RBLR 1000 - 2018 -2019
Armistice 1000 - 2018