Author Topic: Auxillary lights  (Read 1124 times)

Offline 03guyjam

Auxillary lights
« on: December 01, 2013, 00:13:50 »
Hello,

Just bought myself a set of SW Motech fog lights for my bike and wanted them to be controlled from the handlebar switch and come on automatically when high beam and pass button is clicked.

I was thinking of splicing the wire at the fuse box from the main beam wire (black/blue) and go through the switch and then splice the wire at the fuse box to the high beam (yellow) and join that just after the switch with a diode in place.  This should mean when the ignition is on I can use the switch as normal and the switch will be overridden (when off) when the high beam is on. The lights will then turn off with the engine regardless of the the switch being on or off.

I will be using a relay and know how to connect that up so that's not an issue :)

Is this going to be the best way to wire it? Any tips from people have fitted auxillary lights themselves?

Cheers in advance

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
Re: Auxillary lights
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 11:07:23 »
I fitted some on a car years ago. I just soldered a wire (don't like splicing) to the spade connector at the bulb that supplied the high beam current and used it as my relay switch. Then wired the lights to the relay in the normal way.

I use this method as it can all be returned to standard by just heating the solder and removing the wire, no splicing. :)