Author Topic: R&G heated grips  (Read 1026 times)

Offline phraedrus

R&G heated grips
« on: June 26, 2020, 10:46:13 »
I have a DL650 V-Strom 2017 abs model and ordered and installed a set of R&G premium heated grips when the originals went defect. As the molex connectors (under the tank) were different, I cut the power cable and installed the original molex connector to supply power. Unfortunately the grips now switch themselves on randomly - which in summer is most annoying. I have checked the cabling and even had the supplier replace the controller unit - but the problem still exists. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Offline mercman

• Bike: DL1000 K8, DL1000 L6
Re: R&G heated grips
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 15:10:22 »
I've got R & G heated grips, mine are wired directly across the battery, but they turn on every time I switch the ignition on. I keep meaning to pull the fuse, but haven't got round to it yet!

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 15:14:54 »
My best advice would be to make sure the power supply is ignition side, this will eliminate the random switching on when the ignition is off .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 15:59:35 »
Sorry , just realised what I'd said there.

It's not going to help the random switching on while you are riding but would be OK when ignition is off.

Wiring heated grips isn't difficult and if everything is working OK when you actually want them on suggests the wiring is correct.

The only part that can switch them on randomly is the controller, it's possible R&G have sent you another faulty controller.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 20:02:52 »
I had the same issue with SWMBO's R&G grips when I wired them through a relay with a trigger from the rear lights + feed.

Turns out my soldering was not up to scratch and they would turn on to the last known setting automatically. Re-did a couple of the connections to the relay and it's been fine for the last 5 years.

Ride Coordinator