Author Topic: new ride magazine review  (Read 1217 times)

Offline beanster

new ride magazine review
« on: January 17, 2009, 11:48:06 »
just recieved my february copy of ride magazine (subscription).
650 weestrom vs the xl650 transalp.
I reckon it actually gives a better account of the strom than I thought it would get.
there isn't a winner as such, but a good review nontheless.

Masq

Re: new ride magazine review
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 13:06:25 »
Except, of course, the statement "It's clearly superior to it's big brother".

Where does that come from?  It would have been nice if they had justified that sentence.  

As you can guess, I've just got myself a DL1000, having upgraded from an old 600 Bandit.  The 1000 does a much better job when 2 up ohterwise I might have thought about the 650 (maybe).

Offline pikeman

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 13:12:49 »
I thought that statement was a bit harsh too and unqualified. In many ways I think the 650 is smoother to ride and lighter, but the 1000 does have strengths in other areas.

KildareMan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 13:18:55 »
Quote from: "pikeman"
I thought that statement was a bit harsh too and unqualified. In many ways I think the 650 is smoother to ride and lighter, but the 1000 does have strengths in other areas.
To be honest the only "strength" the 1000 might have over the 650 is the power.  In all other aspects the 650 is the better machine, not just my opinion as a non ex 650 owner but pretty much every review I've read.

Offline KLV-Rider

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 13:46:39 »
I'm sure we could all sit round a pub table and give plus minus points for the 650/1000 debate but one will never be better than the other 'cause they aren't meant to compete....I think the 1000 is better for 'ME', I'd never say that either 'BIKE' is any better than the other though.

(Saying that though, those little 650's ain't half slow.... :neen: )

Offline cpettifer

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 15:30:59 »
So what do you reckon then are the pros and cons of the 650 over 1000? Has this been covered in another thread?

I was after a V-Strom last summer when I passed my test, but for insurance reasons ended up with a Honda Deauville. I was getting high quotes for all non-Honda models because I keep the bike in the road. It was a curious thing that all Honda models came in with low insurance quotes despite this... I could have insured a CB1300 for under half the price of the wee strom.

Anyway... I'm now moving to a house with a garage in a different part of the country, hooray! So I'm thinking insurance is going to be pretty reasonable on most things now, so I'm thinking about my options. I still like the V-Strom, but would wonder which model is better for my needs:

1. Commuting - my new commute is going to involved 45 minutes on a motorway and 5 minutes off it each end.
2. General wandering around, sometimes with SWMBO on the back. My 650 Deauville really has to work when we're two-up... is it the same with the 650 V-Strom? Given we're moving further from some friends, when we do go out on the bike together the journeys may be a bit longer now...

To me it sounds like a 1000 might be the better bet for me? Which is smoother on the motorways etc etc?

Cheers.

Offline Wizwas

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 15:59:06 »
Quote from: "cpettifer"
My 650 Deauville really has to work when we're two-up... is it the same with the 650 V-Strom? .

Quite agree.
I had a Deauville a few years ago.
Solo it was fine, but add a passenger & it really struggled.

Think you'll find the 650 V-strom much better as it's quicker, & handles & brakes better to start with.
It's also smoother, a lot lighter, & has a much better gearbox.

You will miss the shaftdrive & built in luggage though.

KildareMan

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 16:44:02 »
Quote from: "cpettifer"
So what do you reckon then are the pros and cons of the 650 over 1000? Has this been covered in another thread?

To me it sounds like a 1000 might be the better bet for me? Which is smoother on the motorways etc etc?

Cheers.

The smoother bike is the 650 and to be honest unless you are both at the top end of the scale, weight wise, I would stick with the 650.  Acceleration of the 650 is really something, can't really see the 1000 being a huge difference.  Another consideration in these straighted economic times is fuel consumption.  Why lumber yourself with a lardy 1000 that will do 40 ish when the 650, even when ridden hard, gets over 50 mpg and easily touches 60.

Offline MR TiGGer

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 19:12:52 »
Quote from: "Wizwas"

Think you'll find the 650 V-strom much better as it's quicker, & handles & brakes better to start with.

I'd appreciate you qualifying that remark, because after test riding them both before I committed to the Vee I found the opposite to be true except the brakes which were the very same. And on the stright the Vee will stay with any litre sportsbike up to 110 without any problem

As a commuter the the Wee is much better on fuel and far easier to shuffle around town through rush hour traffic, but used as a toy and once out on the road and wanting to maintain a fair old pace the Wee remembers it's lack of torque and power, and the Vee shines right though and 'constantly' reminds me why I bought the big block when I overtake or exit a corner. And Engine braking is second to none.

To me personally I found the 650 better suited to the lighter SV650 rather than the Strom and you really have to work the engine and gearbox to get the best from it like pretty much all sub litre engines. Even the VFR has a serious lack of proper grunt for an 800.

I guess if I was tootling about within the limits then the Wee is a fine bike but I wanted an 'upgrade' from the CBR600 and that wasn't it, I get sick of playing riverdance on the gear lever when I want to play with the sportsbikes :grin:
Grrrr:-)

Previously: K7 DL650GT [Stolen by wife] K6 DL1000GT, CBR600F-V, DT-125, ER50

Offline rosstrom

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 19:23:07 »
Had 650 for two years.
Had current thou for just under 2 years.

650 better for fuel consumption - quite a bit better.
650 better at low speeds/small throttle openings - 1000 is a pig really below 3500rpm.

1000 is way quicker - I mean that. And much much better for 2 up.

Couldn't go 'back' but I always say the 650 is a great bike - especially for price.

Offline MR TiGGer

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 19:37:11 »
Quote from: "rosstrom"
650 better at low speeds/small throttle openings - 1000 is a pig really below 3500rpm.

Tiggers don't do small throttle openings and especially not low speeds Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! :neen:
Grrrr:-)

Previously: K7 DL650GT [Stolen by wife] K6 DL1000GT, CBR600F-V, DT-125, ER50

Offline camel

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 21:24:31 »
The wee is my first bike (ever), so my openion is not an expert one by any measure, but I'll say it anyway.

The Vee looked to me like it's more suited for the 2 up heavy tourers, but for single riding, be it commuting, touring or ever trail, the wee I think is the ticket.

I commute about 25 minutes each way, plenty of power, specially when leave the house a bit late.
Touring (single plus camping gear), I (and none of the other wees) had no problem keeping up with the Vee on Motorways, or on the twisties (I only couldn't keep up due to lack of skills, balls or a combination).

Ere you go my Cpettifer. and oh, if you've just past your test, I think the lighter bike is a big pro, specialy that Hello're a tad top heavy.

:?

Offline Wizwas

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 08:09:54 »
Quote from: "MR TiGGer"
Quote from: "Wizwas"

I'd appreciate you qualifying that remark, because after test riding them both before I committed to the Vee I found the opposite to be true except the brakes which were the very same. :

Think you missed my point. I was comparing the 650 with the Deauville, not the 1000.

Offline cpettifer

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 12:11:00 »
This is all really handy. Thanks for the comments. I'll have to see what happens once I've moved house...

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 17:38:19 »
Quote from: "Masq"
Except, of course, the statement "It's clearly superior to it's big brother".

Where does that come from?  It would have been nice if they had justified that sentence.  

As you can guess, I've just got myself a DL1000, having upgraded from an old 600 Bandit.  The 1000 does a much better job when 2 up ohterwise I might have thought about the 650 (maybe).

IHi Masq and  :welcome2:
'Clearly' is hard to fathom but my view is this:
It may be that their opinion is based on more than just performance as the Wee is a bit lighter on costs.
Being born again I was quoted £114 to insure the 650 and £280 for the 1000. I couldn't justify the extra as it is really only a toy for me (and Lady Piglumps). Performance is fine for me but I get left behind by Captain Slow these days. Each to their own.

It would be nice to have twin pipes though as the 1000 looks better than the 650 in this respect
No bike at present.......

Masq

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 22:23:28 »
I feel much better now.  My decision to go for the Vee seems to be correct as I wanted a bike that could go touring 2 upand overtake without having to drop a couple of gears.  Having migrated from a 600 Bandit I wanted something that I didn't have to rev too much (although I'll miss that growl) and didn't strain when going 2 up - the Bandit did struggle a bit, whereas I hardly notice the extra weight on the Vee.

I'm sure that the 'sensible' option for commuting would be the Wee, however I've reached the stage where I 'just wanted a bigger engine' and I don't do commuting on a bike any more - the budget wouldn't stretch to a Rocket III - and I wasn't allowed a Hayabusa !!!!