Author Topic: Which K&N/HiFlo oil filters??  (Read 181 times)

Offline Bigcats30

• Bike: Suzuki V Strom 1000 L8
Which K&N/HiFlo oil filters??
« on: July 14, 2018, 12:24:11 »
After reading about the genuine Suzuki oil filters literally rusting away I'm looking to replace with either a K&N or Hiflo filter (as people have recommended)

However no mention of the part no. and the only one I can seem to find is the KN138

So what filter do I need for a DL1000XT L8 (2018).... I have a feeling they are all the same but the K&N site doesn't even have that bike in its list

cheers

Cat
Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do or die.

Online Chris

• Bike: Suzuki V Strom 650 2012
Re: Which K&N/HiFlo oil filters??
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 14:10:22 »

Offline Paz324

• Bike: DL1000AL8
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 18:40:03 »
The K&N oil filters were made by HiFiltro and the contract for those filters ran out quite some time ago which prompted introduction of the HiFiltro line of racing "RC" filters which are rebranded versions of the same thing.

HF138 = black, HF138C = chrome, HF138RC = black with built in 17mm removal nut and racing wire holes.

The 138 series oil filters are used for all stroms.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: Kawasaki GTR1400 Gen 2 , Honda CB500F.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 18:56:19 »
HF 138 ... Hiflo. .

In my many years as a motorcycle technician I have I never seen a genuine Suzuki oil filter literally rust away. Quite frankly if you have left an oil filter on there long enough to rust it's clearly a maintenance issue.
For your info all oil filters are pretty much made in the same way with similar internals and painted with a fine black paint.

If you are worried what it looks like paint it with a better paint before fitting .
kawasaki GTR 1400 2010, Honda CB500F 2015

Offline Bigcats30

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 15:32:23 »
The K&N oil filters were made by HiFiltro and the contract for those filters ran out quite some time ago which prompted introduction of the HiFiltro line of racing "RC" filters which are rebranded versions of the same thing.

HF138 = black, HF138C = chrome, HF138RC = black with built in 17mm removal nut and racing wire holes.

The 138 series oil filters are used for all stroms.

Brilliant thank you

Offline Bigcats30

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 15:33:20 »
HF 138 ... Hiflo. .

In my many years as a motorcycle technician I have I never seen a genuine Suzuki oil filter literally rust away. Quite frankly if you have left an oil filter on there long enough to rust it's clearly a maintenance issue.
For your info all oil filters are pretty much made in the same way with similar internals and painted with a fine black paint.

If you are worried what it looks like paint it with a better paint before fitting .

It was on a post on this site, happened to a bloke twice (1 was 6 months old) a few other posts mentioned they had similar problems so I just assumed

Offline Paz324

• Bike: DL1000AL8
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 15:36:51 »
If you plan to keep your Suzuki warranty intact you'll have no choice but to use original filters supplied by a main dealer for the 2/3 year warranty period, also if you plan to home service you can kiss any warranty goodbye as they expect main dealers to do the work and its just one of many ways vehicle manufacturers screw us when it comes to faulty products as they can claim you broke the terms of the warranty contract.