Author Topic: Tyres, Luggage and T.R.E.  (Read 116 times)

Offline Toast

• Bike: DL1000
Tyres, Luggage and T.R.E.
« on: June 04, 2018, 19:07:32 »
Just fitted Avon Storms 3D XM's, which I've previously fitted to both my Blackbird and Diversion, and they seems to be well bedded in well now with 350 miles done; grip is good, seem to catch themselves well after gravel excursions and well-flooded lanes. Mileage to follow - don't hold your breath. Previously also used almost the entire range of Bridgestones - 020, 021 (not so hot), 023 (good), T30 & T30 Evo (T30 evo's are amazing) but this is for my touring-focused bike and I was after mileage which Avons gave me in spades on the Diversion & Blackbird. Good kit.
Having had enough of the tetchy locks and tiny capacity of my Original Equipment luggage I have fitted the Givi 3-box rack with the quick-release side bars. Bliss. I have used Givi for many, many years on over a dozen bikes and it's far better than the O.E. Suzuki supply or even the stuff on my wife's previous Z1000SX, also tiny capacity with nasty locks. Also recommended!
I don't like my bike to be a nanny bike - so I've just had a T.R.E. fitted to tell my bike lies; apparently, it tells the bike's computer that I'm always in 4th gear and therefore it offers full power not retarded-ignition reduced power in some gears (possibly for safety reasons)... Doesn't affect the stability control which was flashing away like a loonie on my local gravel-strewn country lanes where I live. Highly Recommended for the competent riders.
How many safety nets do I need? ABS - Traction Control, Nanny power cutting? No, the ABS, OK, the traction control, OK, with selectable levels or off, OK, but power control in certain gears? No thanks. Hence the 90 TRE. And it has made a difference, there is a noticeable punch in lower & higher gears. I'm 61, I think I know how much power to dial in... and, there's always the TC & ABS to catch me if I fail in my frail dotage...
Now, if I could just make it more stable & aerodynamic over the ton (I know, "it's not designed for that" before anyone chimes in) as both Dookitty and BMwobbleyou have managed with their 'adventure bikes' - but why would I pay all that silly money for one of them? Especially, when I'm an ageing fossil on a pension... Anyway, it's always fun being the underdog... and passing them...
Have fun.  :thumb:
The Mind is willing, but the body is past use-by date

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Re: Tyres, Luggage and T.R.E.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 19:38:47 »
   Good to see you fettling and improving the bike, the tre does work well set in 4th gear I find, if you really want to help it pick up it's skirts a decat pipe and power commander makes the best power gains, with an end can if you like the sound, I'm now running mine with the stock end can and loose a little up top, but for touring it's much quieter.

Offline porter

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 06:43:43 »
I think the tre works better in 5th gear.  As for the stability over the ton I've not really found anything to help much, they do move about a bit!  Maybe the hyperpro rear spring helped the rear from sitting down and the pilot road 4's with grip but its never going to feel planted that's for sure.

Offline wurzel

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 08:08:46 »
   4th gear is the one that is unrestricted, 5th and 6th are restricted at the night end.