Author Topic: top box mod  (Read 535 times)

Offline bigdunk

top box mod
« on: April 25, 2009, 18:38:45 »
I did the top box mod(moved the box back 2 inches)last week,after about 400 miles I noticed the nuts had come off the boc catch,all that was keeping the box attached to the rack was good luck and gravity
I've since invested in locking nuts...phew
any how,it took a little longer than anticipated due to the screws being well and truely corroded in,nothing that a little brute force,ignorance and a blow torch couldn't sort,well worth the effort though as I can now take a pillion without steering with my balls :shock:

Offline Motofrog

Re: top box mod
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 20:43:51 »
Quote from: "without steering with my balls :shock:[/quote
Sounds interesting! Does it get cold doing this in the winter? :haha:
The search for toys goes ON

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 20:51:20 »
"it took a little longer than anticipated due to the screws being well and truely corroded in,nothing that a little brute force,ignorance and a blow torch "

Not good on a three-year old bike!  :GRR: Mines two years older - my nuts are probably knackered! :shock:  It's a good job I don't have to steer with them! :shy:
No bike at present.......

Offline badger 1050

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 19:22:01 »
did my top box mod and finished it tonight may be a bit over kill but I think it will last all secured with 4 bolts and lock nuts will post a couple of pics later just need a couple of spacers to stop the top box from rattling seems so much more room  :thumb:

Offline dooce

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 12:44:52 »
Quote from: "bigdunk"
I did the top box mod(moved the box back 2 inches)last week,after about 400 miles I noticed the nuts had come off the boc catch,all that was keeping the box attached to the rack was good luck and gravity
I've since invested in locking nuts...phew
any how,it took a little longer than anticipated due to the screws being well and truely corroded in,nothing that a little brute force,ignorance and a blow torch couldn't sort,well worth the effort though as I can now take a pillion without steering with my balls :shock:

I did the mod a couple of years ago and made a sheet aly plate that the top-box fittings were relocated onto - after about 1000 miles there was a split across 50% of the plate wher it cantilevered off the original rack! Now re-inforced with 18mm marine ply - easy to forget the load that a full top-box puts on its fixings.