Author Topic: DL250 Review  (Read 7933 times)

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: DL250 Review
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 07:34:24 »
Only if you were in Masham  on Sunday.  :)

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 09:18:31 »
Sounds like a really useable tool.
Like others, initially I couldn’t see who’d buy it & why.. but I too covered thousands of miles quite happily on my old CB250RS.
There’s definitely a niche for a nice, lightweight, frugal, affordable bike with all the useful additions like luggage and heated grips.
The 250 seems to fit the bill, accessible in term of price and physicality, nice one Mr Suzuki.
Please keep us updated on ‘Stu’

Offline 12998

• Bike: 2019 DL650 A9 V-Strom
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 10:26:06 »
Well I’ve had the V-Strom DL250 a few months now and as requested I’ve put a few impression of the bike below.  Overall it is an excellent commuter, small and agile in traffic with really a good mpg performance.  As a tourer? Hmmm…..

When the bike was purchased, I specced it with heated grips(Not needed those so far) hand guards and a centre stand.  I also fitted an after-market Givi Top box.

I’ve covered 1300 miles mix of Urban, A-roads and some motorway.  It was given an initial Service at 600 miles by Road and Racing in Hyde for £92 and the only other extra fitted so far is an additional aero screen.  I found the standard screen gave adequate protection for the body but the wind blast from it was directed onto the helmet.  I have an LS2 Pioneer which has a peak and the airflow was giving me problems.   With the extra aero screen purchased from eBay for £19.99, it smoothed the airflow over the top of my helmet making life much more pleasant, allowing me to look around without the fear of snapping my neck.

The 250cc engine is a reworking of the inazuma lump.  It starts red lines at 10500 rpm and produces peak power(a modest 24.8bhp) at 8000 rpm with 23.4Nm(17.26 lbft in old money) at 6500rpm.   On the motorway it sits at an indicated 70mph at 8500rpm.  Now according to my GPS the speedo has a 10% error overstating the speed.  This error is across the speed range.  So an indicated 70 mph is likely to be actually 60-65mph!  The cynic in me would suggest that 10% error on speedo = 10% better fuel readings, but to be fair, it does appear to be hitting the marks with fuel economy. 

The DL250 will sit at 70 all day and go beyond 80mph with no issues except vibration!  Even at an indicated 70mph, there is real vibration through the bars and the pegs which have left me with pins and needles in the hands after even short motorway journeys.   With the vibration issues I decided to have a look at the opposition and blagged a test ride on a BMW R310GS from Williams Motorrad in Manchester.  This being a single cylinder engine, I was expecting a similar experience but found that whilst there is still vibration, the frequency isn’t as troublesome.  I sat on a motorway at an indicated 70 mph for 15-20 minutes and felt no adverse effects other than being battered by the wind blast. (Although the R310GS has a screen, it is mostly cosmetic!)

The fuel tank holds 17.3 litres which I get 250 miles on before refuelling.  I err on the side of caution with fuel and will fill it up when the last bar of the gauge starts to flash.  This would indicate that I am going into reserve which is apparently, just over 4 litres.  On my last refuel I placed 12.5 litres in the tank with an indicated 250 miles on the trip.  This would indicate 90.8 mpg!

The LCD instrument panel has and Odo and two trip meters.  Each has an indicator of MPG, which is showing an average of 84.5 mpg.  No complaints there!

With a full ‘wet’ weight of 188kg and a seat height of only 800mm I would suggest that this is a first rate commuter bike (ideally suited to A and B roads rather than motorway runs) and great for new riders or those like me who are ‘vertically challenged’.  At 5’8” with an inside leg of 31”, I can place both my feet flat on the ground.   The seat is relatively comfortable and the mirrors are excellent.   Looking at other reviews it would appear that due to its light weight, it is good off road as well.  I can attest it is good on loose surfaces and has the low down power to comfortably get up steep inclines; not that I am an off road guru, just crap at navigation!  After taking a wrong turn in the Peak District I ended up on a steep gravelled track and even my limited skills could get the bike through the terrain with no issues!

And compared to the DL650?  Not had that pleasure yet, I feel another test ride needs to be blagged…….

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 10:55:01 »
Sounds like Stuart is a diamond! The perfect commuter for non-motorway duties. I wonder if any companies will do a proper  upgraded off road version?  Do try the 650 if you get chance. They are a bigger diamond.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 17:22:28 »
that's a great review, thank you for taking the time.
There are a few tricks to reduce bar vibes, such as remove the grips, mix silicon sealant and lead shot together, and get as much in the bars as you can,let it set, trim it up at tge ends, and put the grips back on.

Offline sjrainsford

• Bike: DL650 L4 and 2008 Vespa GTS300 Super
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 10:13:30 »
Another tip for the 70mph vibes is to alter your gearing.  If you find it has enough power to maintain 70mph then you could probably get away with fitting a larger front sprocket to lower the revs at 70mph.  Front sprockets are relatively cheap so easy to experiment with until you find what you want.

Offline infidel

• Bike: Zuki fan boy - 2020 DL1050XT, 2012 SV650S, 2005 GSXR1000, 2004 SV1000S, 1974 t350 and some junk.....
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 16:35:29 »
 :text-goodpost: Great write up and enjoy the bike. I have ridden one for 30 mins or so and its hoot to ride round town and as you say - comfortably at 60 anywhere you want to go.

I'll always wonder why Zuki didn't use the 400cc V motor from the SFV400Gladius. Its a current engine, (gladius SFV400AL7), would have been the perfect balance for weight/power/economy/character - Has ABS and I'm sure could have made emissions. 45odd hp, would have been perfect and I think a huge commercial success also given A2 licence etc.

If it has two wheels.. I'll ride it.

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 19:47:48 »
Thanks for the review :thumb: Got me wanting one, now! :violence-smack: :icon_wink:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Megashorts

• Bike: DL1000A L4
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2018, 17:24:23 »
I've got an Inazuma 250 to keep my V-Strom 1000 company. I get similar mpg, varying from 80 to 90+mpg. I don't have any issues with vibration and was amazed how smooth the bike was. Perhaps it may be worth blagging a test ride on another V-Strom 250 to see if that is better. It could be there is an issue with yours?

Offline Mark123

• Bike: DL250
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2020, 10:00:24 »
I've done 1220 miles on mine since bought new in  May. I rode very gently to break her in. I did get a modest vibration at between 450 and 800 miles (5000 rpm) which has now disappeared completely.

The engine seemed to sweeten up at 1000 miles with more power. I sometimes go for seventh gear......so going up on the front sprocket is probably a good idea. I'm a big bloke so will just leave it alone.

I rarely get overtaken by other adventure bikes.....just sports bikes which seem to be getting few and far between....... obviously big adventure bikes can leave me in their dust but that's not really the point I suppose. Anyway the 250 seems fast enough for me on A and B roads.

On the motorway..........it's a bit of a slot. A comfy slog but as others have said, happy at 65 for hundreds of miles, 70 to 75 for a quick blast.

I could happily take the bike touring if I where able......but not on toll motorways.

I added a 17 quid amazon.co.uk screen extension which was real benefit. My cheapo helmet was almost unusable without ear plugs now it's fine. Also no splats on the visor since!

All in all its a great wee bike. If I was fit and able I would have bigger bike BUT I would still have the 250 along side it in the garage!

I bought her new, pre reg, with hand guards, centre stand and Suzuki top box for 3850........a bargain and no regrets. After 16 years with no bike (nagging wife then a horrendous speeding ticket) I'm really glad I bought the 250.

Offline sillyboy

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2020, 10:12:59 »
OK, you paid the horrendous speeding fine. what about the nagging wife? if she has departed this world my apologies for the post.

Offline Mark123

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2020, 11:03:43 »
No worries .......she is still very much alive. Her trust in my riding was broken by the fine.....69 (briefly) in a 30 zone past a school......no excuse for it really, just me getting past a muppet who abandoned a right turn three times in a row nearly hitting me on the third. A very graphic road safety campaign, winter and the potential loss of licence and thus my job...........no more bike! Can't blame her on balance.

I had to retire with ill health so she took pity on me knocking about the house. The wee bike, with modest performance and my .....maturity......broke down her resistance. I'm probably on a probationary period.

If the nagging starts up again.....well..........it's a new bike after all and there's plenty more fish in the sea.............only joking!

Offline Keith60

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro, Honda TRX 500FA ATV
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2020, 11:47:13 »
 :text-goodpost:   Keep us updated and some pictures would be nice! 
Never too old to ride!

Offline Mark123

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2020, 13:00:19 »
The wife just read my above post.......we had a discussion about keeping the bike over her...........the bike won. Ultimately it has lower maintenance and cleaner emissions.

Offline sillyboy

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2020, 16:50:48 »
 :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline brettchallenger

• Bike: DL650 L8, Jawa 350
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2020, 19:53:01 »
that's a great review, thank you for taking the time.

I would love to see a 450cc (twin) version (or thereabouts).  Enough umph for motorways but still light and nimble and with fantastic economy.  It could be a real Royal Enfield Himalyan killer.

Offline baldric

• Bike: DL250AL8, GSX1250FA
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2020, 17:05:52 »
Yes, a nice review. I agree that the baby DL is more than adequate as a town bike, and would certainly make a great commuter - something which I thankfully no longer have to do. I bought mine last month, new, with OE Suzuki panniers, for less than £4k from Thunderroad. Of course they charged for delivery, but even so I think it was bargain. If you take a look on-line you can still find several up for sale - mainly pre-reg. Certainly Thunderroad, Robinsons and Cupar up in Fife all still have them advertised at just under the £4k mark. Interestingly there don't seem to be many genuine second hand models around, so either people keep them, or very few have been bought.

I bought mine because I was looking for something lighter tham my GSX and which I would be happy riding for longer in the year, past the point where the GSX would be tucked up in the garage. Over the years I have owned a shed load of different low capacity bikes (back in the days when I /was/ commuting) so I have no problem with them. Horses for courses. I don't need a 1250 to potter about on or nip down to the shops. Three of my friends own RE Himalayans - one of them even tours Europe on his with his wife riding pillion. So I considered one of those. They have similar power characteristics, but of course more torque and lower in the rev range. But I think the Himalayan is pig ugly - and if I were going to be buying a new bike, I figured it might as well look good. I think the DL does. It even has a "big bike" presence and certainly doesn't look like a 250.

I first rode a DL a couple of years ago when I was given one as a loan bike by my local dealer (CJBall in Norwich, excellent dealer and well recommended). I had it for a couple of hours or so whilst my bike was in for a service and really liked it. Low, relatively comfortable, good seating position and easily quick enough to stay with normal traffic both in town and out on the A47 southern bypass. The one I borrowed toopped out at an indicated 85, and struggled a bit in a head wind, but realistically, how often do you go over 85 anyway?

I am on the short side (5'7" with an inside leg of 30") so most bikes these days are way too tall for me. As an aside, bikes generally seem to me to be unnecessarily tall these days. My GSX has been lowered with Lust racing links, but my old FJ1200 and ZRX12 did not need such modification, nor did any of the other umpteen bikes I owned prior to about 2005, Now most bikes seem to have seat heights of around 830mm or upwards - too tall for me to feel comfortable.

So when I was looking around for something on ebay during the lockdown (well, I had to do something) I kept coming across the DL250 and decided that it was enough of a bargain for me to buy one. So I did.

Mine has now covered around 700 miles and has had its first service. The running in period limits RPM to 5000 which equates to an indicated 42mph and it was a bit of a pain (literally as it turned out) so I kept the bike to the Norfolk country lanes and avoided the A roads. No big deal, that is where it is happiest anyway. I can now take it up to around 7500 RPM which is a much more usable 60 mph and I will give it full throttle after I reach the thousand mile mark. I am hoping that like Mark123's experience, the vibration will ease after that.

The pain during running in was largely the result of the appalling high frequency vibes through the bars - particularly the clutch side. I could only realistically ride for about 30-45 minutes at a time before having to stop and rest my hands. I have the additional problem of fairly advanced arthritis so vibration white finger is really not welcome. Now I don't recall the loan bike having this problem (and I would probably not have bought mine if it had) so I'm hoping the vibes will die down as the engine gains miles and all the running parts bed down. Meanwhile I would love to know if member 12998 has cured his vibe problem, and if so, how. I am looking around for decent aftermarket bar end weights, but very few ads given any indication of the actual weight of the things and I am assumimg that I will need to add signifcant mass to dampen the vibration. Alternatively (or perhaps as well as) I will fit some foam grips such as grip puppys. If anyone here has experience (on any bike) of the grip puppys I would like to hear from them. The only bike I have fitted foam grips to in the past was my GPz 750 back in the early 80s. That had an annoying vibe problem too, but the foam grips I used got soggy (and thus uncomfortable) in the rain. I hope that foam grips have evolved past that problem now.

The vibration comes in at around 4000-5000 and is still there at the 7500 mark I am currently limiting myself to. Maybe it will disappear higher up the rev range, but even if it does I am still going to need something because I will be rding at around the 60 mph mark for most of the time (well, except in town of course....).

So, apart from the vibes, what is the bike like? Really quite nice. As I have said, it looks the part, it is relatively comfortable in the saddle, I can reach the ground without having to stretch or worry and it has phenomenal fuel consumption. Running in (less than two tanks of gas) I averaged 102 mpg. That average has now dropped to about 95 indicated on the onboard computer. I have yet to fill it up for the third time so I cannot yet guage what the actual consumption over the tankfull will have been but I don't expect it to be much lower than 90. As I said, that would make it a superb commuter.

Weight wise it is obviously lighter than my GSX (by about 80 kilos!) but that doesn't actually make it light. 180 Kilos is lardy for a 250 - for comparison the MT07 only weighs 182 and my old GSX 250s (of which I have owned three back in the 80s) weighed about 150 kilos. So "light" is really relative.

The small screen is effective enough at the speeds I have been doing and as I recall it was fine on the loan bike I had a couple of years ago. I have not yet taken my wife pillion so cannot comment on the effect of addded mass, but in any case the bike will never set the world on fire performance wise - but that is not its point. The panniers are useful, if a bit on the small side. They have internal capacity of 20 litres each side (for comparison my GSX has 35 litres each side and a 45 litre top box - and even that is not enough for my lady wife when we go on our hols). So realistically I cannot see me touring Europe on it with my lady, we'll leave that to the GSX. But, if I can get rid of the vibes then I will certainly consider taking the DL on a longer trip in the UK.

Try one. You might like it. And if you do try one, let me know if it vibrates!

Cheers

Offline Mark123

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2020, 22:42:45 »
Almost at 2000 miles now, no issues, not using oil, but did top up the tyres to the correct pressure which ....I'm embarrassed to say....where 29 instead of the 36 they should have been.

After a disaster of a day the last straw was the North bound motorway closed on my way home. As a result I had a late night ride up the Antrim coast road....1am, and had the road all to myself. The lights where great and I felt I could chuck it about in the knowledge that the bike has not got the power to catch me out yet has good enough handling to still excite. I would not have had as much fun on my last ZZR. I got home with a smile in my face, just before the storm hit!

Gave the bike a good clean today and it still looks like new in every way, even the tyres. I did douse the bike is asf 50, or something, when it was new and that's it's first clean since May.

I'm still enjoying the bike, despite it's lack of horsepower, and no regrets.

Offline Riggerjim

• Bike: Kawasaki 650versys
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2021, 10:06:24 »
Thanks for all the info best thing for me will be to have a test ride by the way mark I would use ear plugs.I rode for years without them and I've got 65 hearing loss and it can be a real problem at times
Jim

Offline wirral_biker

• Bike: DL250, Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe, BMW F650 Sidecar Outfit :-)
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2022, 01:23:09 »
A little update on this older thread.  I have a DL250 ( 2018 ) and have Oxford heated grips and panniers.  Love the bike but felt the bike needed to be a little quicker off the mark so fitted a rear sprocket with 2 extra teeth ( get a new chain with 2 extra links ).    Now I have a top speed of 77 mph but bike is sharper to ride around town etc.  Nice little mod.   No centre stand as I have an ABBA stand for maintenance.