Author Topic: Buffeting, noise, screens and all that jazz  (Read 3048 times)

Offline rightlass

Buffeting, noise, screens and all that jazz
« on: April 01, 2009, 20:15:03 »
Can I be cheeky and pick your brains about screens?

Had me wee strom just over a week... and today have done quite a lot of motorway riding today with the standard screen on... and the buffeting and noise was horrific.  But totally disappeared if I got down behind the screen :-)

I do have a givi tall screen that came with the bike, but it interferes with my line of vision.

Can anyone recommend a better screen...  I am 5ft 7in  ....if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

rightlass

Offline mechcanico lee

Re: Buffeting, noise, screens and all that jazz
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 20:49:52 »
Try the shorter version of the mra screen there pretty good

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 20:56:03 »
I agree with mechanico. I too have the shorter Vario and I'm 6'1"! :thumb:
No bike at present.......

Offline DarrenVS

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 20:56:43 »
I don't think there will ever be a finite answer to the question of this problem. Look on VSRI or Stromtrooper for all you could want to know about screens
Darren

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 21:28:19 »
Darren is correct, there are so many variables (leg length , arm length etc) that it's going to be trial & error. For what it's worth I've got the large MRA screen with the spoiler and it's superb. The shorter length one could well be your answer, or buy a goldwing ?   good luck, Bry  :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline MR TiGGer

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 21:46:04 »
Nowt wrong with the Givi screen once you add a MAdstad bracket which does the job and is below line of sight. Something wrong with the way the factory bracket works for me. Check out http://www.stromtrooper.com and search for threads on screens
Grrrr:-)

Previously: K7 DL650GT [Stolen by wife] K6 DL1000GT, CBR600F-V, DT-125, ER50

Offline essexstrom

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 22:12:27 »
Hi rightlass I am same height ish as you and have the Givi screen pinching the idea from a fellow strommer from across the pond I spaced out the oem bracket useing longer screws old rubber door stops at the top and rubber hose as sleeves for the screws at the bottom this allows you to drop the bracket down further ie outside of the fairing and should put the Give below you eye line.
Les

Offline dooce

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 23:13:34 »
I'm 5'11" and have a short MRA on Madstad brackets - it has transformed the bike - zero buffeting and I can ride up to 70 with my helmet visor up (the flies can be a problem though :grin:) The standard screen on the Madstad improved it a bit, but the crucial factor seems to be the MRA screen.

Offline rightlass

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 08:58:13 »
Quote from: "dooce"
I'm 5'11" and have a short MRA on Madstad brackets - it has transformed the bike - zero buffeting and I can ride up to 70 with my helmet visor up (the flies can be a problem though :grin:) The standard screen on the Madstad improved it a bit, but the crucial factor seems to be the MRA screen.

Is there anywhere in the UK that stocks the Madstad brackets?  can't find owt for the UK.

Offline essexstrom

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 17:02:27 »
I think the MRA screen people are going to stock them

Offline badger 1050

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 17:30:44 »
if you look in the dealer bit on the board index I think its hps bikes they have just started to deal with them thanks to one of the bloke's on here  :thumb:

Offline Spottyplayer

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 19:55:05 »
Quote from: "rightlass"
Can I be cheeky and pick your brains about screens?

Had me wee strom just over a week... and today have done quite a lot of motorway riding today with the standard screen on... and the buffeting and noise was horrific.  But totally disappeared if I got down behind the screen :-)

I do have a givi tall screen that came with the bike, but it interferes with my line of vision.

Can anyone recommend a better screen...  I am 5ft 7in  ....if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

rightlass

Have you got one of those little black screens on it? If so, do you want to flog it?

Offline MR TiGGer

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 20:15:53 »
Could I ask in total seriousness, what cruising speeds are you talking here?? Cos my biggest problem was finding a setup that would would at an indicated 85 without any buffeting issues.
Lots of so called helpful advice in the US revolved around riding at 60 so the advice was totally skewed to be any practical use
Grrrr:-)

Previously: K7 DL650GT [Stolen by wife] K6 DL1000GT, CBR600F-V, DT-125, ER50

Offline rightlass

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 20:51:00 »
Quote from: "MR TiGGer"
Could I ask in total seriousness, what cruising speeds are you talking here?? Cos my biggest problem was finding a setup that would would at an indicated 85 without any buffeting issues.
Lots of so called helpful advice in the US revolved around riding at 60 so the advice was totally skewed to be any practical use

its not just motorway speeds, that are troublesome .. its nsl's....anything at 60 and above and its a nightmare.

Offline rightlass

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 20:53:32 »
Quote from: "Spottyplayer"
Have you got one of those little black screens on it? If so, do you want to flog it?

Its a clear one,....not for sale yet, till I have found a screen set up that suits me.

Offline Gubnet

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 23:18:30 »
Did 180 miles today and can hardly hear. The buffeting and wind noise was feckin horrific!Had the music turned up full on the Garmin and I have a nice multitec with whisper kit which is a vast improvement on my old lid. I am 5'11" and had the std screen on the highest setting. Ordering a long MRA right now........
Obviously the bike was designed for small oriental jockey types......one question though..........how on earth do their feet touch the ground?  :crazy:
We went so quick we went beyond

"Thinking outside the box means you won't get locked in"

Offline Gubnet

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 13:50:24 »
Long MRA screen ordered from HPS last night. Despatched this morning and will have it tomorrow. That's what I call service!  :clap:
We went so quick we went beyond

"Thinking outside the box means you won't get locked in"

Offline Joripo

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 18:53:18 »
Went for a blast yesterday to try out the new helmet and I have also lifted the screen up (I have the taller Vario and I am 6'4")
New helmet is mint nice and quiet.
The point is, for those of you are looking for another screen, I can also recommend the Vario.
I was sat at xxx mph on the dual carriageway with the visor up and if I crouched slightly any little buffeting had gone - so for those people who are a bit smaller I feel this screen would be ideal.