Author Topic: side luggage advice  (Read 2289 times)

Offline jbaptista

• Bike: DL650 L7
side luggage advice
« on: July 18, 2018, 23:28:57 »
Hello,
I need some advice to how many litres I should choose for my bike.
I have the Give 58lt top case, and side frame from kappa compatible with Monokey cases.
I'm trying to decide if I should choose 37LT on both sides, 46Lt for both or a combination of 37Lt and 46Lt.

I'm going to tour and camp, so I need to pack clothes, tent and acessories, etc.
I'm going to travel with my lady.

What you blokes think?

Thanks in advanced.

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
Re: side luggage advice
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 06:13:26 »
My own take on luggage is the more space you have, the more unnecessary things you take with you. A few years ago my wife and me toured Europe for 2 months and we took less stuff than some people take for a long weekend.

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 06:33:46 »
I use the Givi Trekker 33 ltr as Panniers, they are no wider than the bars and their shape means you can use all of the space (which is plenty).
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline jbaptista

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 06:48:15 »
I will be traveling country to country, site to site. I like to walk around with hands free, keeping my helmets inside the top case would take a lot of space, I'm thinking to get a chain to lock the helmet to the bike, anyone ever had a problem that someone tries to steal or damage da helmet?

My biggest worry is that  if I stop elsewhere and have stuff on top of the hard cases with  straps, someone cuts and steal.
I recently done Portugal Lés-a-Lés and Europe Peaks, and never had any problem with my soft cases in this matter, but there is always the risk of steal. That's why my question on the side cases, if 37lt is enough space to keep everything inside.

Thanks for all the replies.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 12:03:44 »
Hi, I have a 33lt & a 46lt on mine plus the 52lt top box. It easily carries all we need but we don't camp!!
If we go walk about then we lock the helmets & jackets if required to the bike, see the  photos. The helmets sit on the wing mirrors and the chain goes through the chin guard and under the bar mounts. For the jackets the longer chain (just under 2m) goes through one arm of each jacket and then under the grab rails. The jackets lie on the seat or hang on the side cases.
Up to now I have not had anybody try to steal anything but you never know. What I have could be cut with a good pair of pliers but I also think that the boxes could be opened just as easily with a crow bar! You can't stop anybody if they want to steal your stuff.
We were told whilst in France a couple of weeks ago that there are now groups of thieves targeting tourist areas and 'stuff' has been stolen from bikes!
You pays your money and takes your chances.   
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 17:22:31 »
 :text-goodpost: Mick, that's the exact same setup I have  :thumb:

Like you, never had anyone try to steal stuff however if they really wanted to panniers/topbox wouldn't stop them

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 17:58:57 »
I have three 52l Givi Maxia boxes, they seemed huge at first, but barely stop me filtering.
As old git says though, it’s all about only taking what you need.
The missus and I did 8 days round Europe last year (using booking.com for discounted hotels) but only used the side boxes, and they were half empty. That left the topbox for ‘assorted stuff’ we might want to access easily.. leggings, map, sunglasses, iPad, handbag (hers not mine ????) etc, and also to carry any snacks, drinks & throw gloves into when we parked up.
Locking helmets..?
We used the ‘locks’ (metal loops) built-in under the bikes seat to secure our helmets if we were to wander off, otherwise, if nearby we simply hung them on the mirrors.
We didn’t camp but could probably have squeezed everything into one box if we’d tried (that includes the wife’s essentials - hair straighteners etc).
Sensible packing & multi-use, flexible gear, means you can travel light.
(Amazingly you can buy pretty much anything you might have forgotten, or wish to replace in European supermarkets too ????).
Common sense when you park should see your gear remain secure.
I have a metal wire loop, it’s quite thin but enough to stop an opportunist, that I pass through the arms of our jackets and ‘lock on’ using the same helmet loops under the seat.
As others have said, if some scroat really wants your gear, (or bike) they’ll take it regardless of security, so don’t waste time worrying about it.
I’m looking to get some of those e21 or 22 boxes, as in reality, I reckon that’s all the space we need.
If I camped I’d probably add a rack to the topbox and carry it and stuff like sleeping mats on there.
????

Offline raff113

• Bike: dl650xt 2021 yella
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 19:20:25 »
I have 33l kappas on the sides and 47l givi top box, going camping quite a lot with my missus and we pack OK ish. Sometimes put small rollbags on top of the panniers.
GSF Bandit 600 '02
FZS Fazer 600 '00
SV1000 '03
GSXR1000 k3 '04
KLE 650 Versys '10
DL650X AL7 '18
Tracer 900 '17
MT09 '13
DL650 XT 2021

Offline jbaptista

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 21:28:41 »
Thanks for the advice blokes, really appreciated.
That's a great idea to use the steel cable to lock the jackets, when I stopped at "POTES Europe Peaks" I rent a locker at the bus station, and put my gear inside. Was great to walk around light. Never locked the helmets because I have the intercom, but I will lock and retrieve the outside of the intercom.
I'm planing to travel for 2 weeks and half, and camping to save money in accommodation, and have a different adventure.

I guess I'm going for the 37lt on both (not following the thumbs rule smaller case in the exhaust side, bigger in the other. Try to balance the weight with my stuff). The 37LT I think will be better for me, because unfortunately I have to take the "office" with me, my laptop and other accessories.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 21:27:20 »
I have boxes and topbox. The tent and air matresses go in the topbox so once pitched the helmets can be stored there, otherwise the metal loops under the seat. (I've added a couple of small rings to the helmet straps but as small a possible to avoid showing the straps). Good friends said comfort first so air beds/pump a necessity and suitable sleeping bags. Tent is three person with ample covered porch for all the bike kit and dressing space.

Beyond that you fill the rest with clothes, camping kit, stove etc. depending on your cooking arrangements or eat 'easy' meals. Restaurants are treats.

No problems with bike balance even with same size boxes.

So how's it going so far then?

Offline jbaptista

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 11:09:53 »
I agree, comfort is very important. Especially because I will be on the road going camping site to camping site, so a good night sleep will be mandatory.
I saw self inflate mattresses, and its Trekker, so it takes up little space. The stove will be a trekker also, very small, just for quick meal and morning coffe.

Offline blobbt

• Bike: DL1000 K8
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 20:16:21 »
I have the factory fitted luggage, can I use the frames to mount other panniers?

thanks james

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 11:18:03 »
Probably not James, not without an adapter like eg, Shad do with some of their luggage. Also depends what year 1000 you have as the fittings have changed. Why not hop over to the 'Introductions' and give a few details? :) :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline blobbt

• Bike: DL1000 K8
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 12:06:55 »
will do

Offline Tall Paul

• Bike: DL1000XT L8
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 03:13:29 »
For those of you that have purchased the Suzuki factory side cases, how do you like or dislike them?  I just purchased the 2018 V-Strom 1000 XT and trying to decide which side cases to buy.
Thanks,
Tall Paul

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 10:15:51 »
I don't have them, over the years, have heard about a few problems with them ranging from water ingress, to lock mechanisms failing. Even the new ones seem to - have a look at this recent discussion on the forum : http://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=33008.0

Of course, all makes of panniers probably suffer from issues . But they (Suzuki) are bloody expensive to have such a lot of lock fails imho!
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Tall Paul

• Bike: DL1000XT L8
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 19:52:12 »
Thanks for the link to the OEM pannier problems.  I will probably check out the Givi cases.
Tall Paul