Author Topic: Here's a novelty........  (Read 888 times)

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
Here's a novelty........
« on: December 17, 2017, 21:45:16 »
With the resurgence of the record deck and vinyl over the past few years can I go on record for the following action:

This evening we've watched Santa Claus - The Movie on our 'outdated' VHS player/recorder.  :xmas-smile:  It took a while to master the start of the film as it was recorded off the telly in 1993 after the Last Night of the Proms.   :shy:

Trend setting maybe? I heard music cassettes are on the way back too and I have a double deck player on my Sony HiFi system......   :grin:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
Re: Here's a novelty........
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 21:51:48 »
I too have a Sony Double Deck on my Stereo. Possibly not switched on in over 10 years.

Here's hoping :)
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 21:57:55 »
It was my younger brother who enlightened me to revive my TRIO KD-1033 turntable because the sound of 'records' was warmer than the clinical CD sound  that he'd convinced me was better at least a decade or two ago....... :roll:

Aparently my scratched LP's have a real attraction at last....  :shrug:

Offline Freddyfruitbat

• Bike: BMW R1200RS
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 00:29:54 »
Yeah my 21-year-old son has just raided my collection of vinyl, from where it's been stacked at the back of my wardrobe since before he was born!  I always told the missus it was worth hanging on to...

Personally, having lived through the days of lugging around huge boxfulls of records, tapes and hifi gear everytime I moved as a youngster, not to mention all the pops and crackles you'd get from LPs and was delighted when everything went digital, I really can't get excited about the vinyl resurgence.

But what I really, really cannot get my head round is the apparent comeback of audio cassettes!  What on EARTH is all that about?   Their sound was simply abysmal, and they were forever getting chewed up.  The great benefit back in the day was that you could use them to copy your mates' LPs; but otherwise - why?!
KC100->CB100N->CB250RS--------->DL650AL2->R1200RS

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 09:10:46 »
You may not be surprised to hear I have a Dennon cassette deck connected to my PC so I can listen to Bix Beiderbecke, louis Armstrong, Jonny Dodds and a few dozen others playing in the 1920s and 30s. I convert to MP3 and transfer to a player so I can have some real music on long bike rides
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Joe Rocket

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 10:29:21 »
 :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 14:57:13 »
If your old vinyl is still playable, you've been taking it to the wrong sort of parties!  Cds were fine originally, but some expert soon decided we didn't "need" the subsonic and higher frequencies. They cut a load of stuff out to make the discs hold more, and cost ( them ) less.