Author Topic: Blood Bike Vstrom  (Read 2302 times)

Offline imindoors

• Bike: DL650 L3
Blood Bike Vstrom
« on: November 29, 2017, 18:31:27 »
I ride for Blood Bike Wales (west area), and look what we have just got as a duty bike. Not ridden it yet but looking forward to it. It'll be home from home to me. It is a replacement for our elderly Deauville. We also have a FJR but its  a heavy, uncomfortable beast.
I look quick therefore I am.

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
Re: Blood Bike Vstrom
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 18:58:58 »
Norfolk SERV have just equipped with an BMW F800GT that looks very nice.
I did suggest the 650 VStrom when they were considering an Honda NC750 but I think the belt drive won with no suitable shaft drive bikes available to replace the Deauvilles.

Offline imindoors

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 19:17:48 »
Yep there was much deliberation here about the chain drive, it's had a scotoiler fitted to help, but cleaning and adjusting is going to be a consideration. We are lucky in our group that most of the riders aren't afraid to get stuck in to a little bike maintainence.

Offline mrp192

• Bike: V-Strom 1050
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 19:52:15 »
I adjusted the chain on my Glee last week for the first time since it was serviced in January and after 7000 miles this year. The Scottoiler has kept it lubricated and I check the alignment and tension weekly but other than that it’s ‘maintainance free’.
I think I’ve cleaned it twice in that time and then run it through a cloth soaked in the Scottoiler oil but that’s all it’s needed.
Now at 15,000 miles I can start to see wear on the rear sprocket but the chain is still going strong. Scottoiler’s are brilliant.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 09:30:48 »
At last the yellow ones make sense!

Offline blobstrom

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 11:05:39 »
Great addition,I've often wondered why blood bikes use big thirsty high maintenance machines usually second hand when the modern v strom type bikes are about.Apart from the shaft drive aspect,the saving in tyres alone along with 60+mpg,lighter more nimble machines that would be able to take a tougher role in more inclement weather.

Offline imindoors

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 18:53:57 »
I completely agree. I always took the Deauville over the FJR wherever possible, smaller bikes are just easier to ride, particularly in bad weather. When you're on a call you have to think less about the (smaller) bike and can concentrate more on the job in hand.

I'm in the minority in my group, most rave about the FJR, I simply can't see the attraction. But then again I choose to ride a 650 vstrom when most of my riding mates have 1200 Explorers.

Offline Captain

• Bike: DL650A K9 GT. DL1000A L6
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 09:02:16 »
One of the reasons fjr's are used is that the motorcyle used for the blood bike service have to pass a stability and strength test when fully loaded. I think this is done by the police service and the fjr obviously passes these tests.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 16:08:02 »
The police have a different spec bike compared to the general public.

The police ones have a metal rear luggage support system when the standard one is flimsy plastic.
Blood bikes would not get the police spec ones.

don't be fooled... every maker cuts corners.

Ride Coordinator

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 18:57:33 »

The standard FJR "grab rail/carrier" isn't and never has been intended as a major load carrying item. I replaced it on my FJR with a Givi system to allow me to fit a top box when touring but the original item is certainly not a low quality item.  The FJR standard panniers fit neatly on the bike without the need for hideous piping and to their credit they have been much copied, including by Suzuki, not least on the V-Strom though I have to say Yamaha do it much better with it built into the design as opposed to bits bolted on. Many FJR's, mine included, do serious touring mileages carrying a passenger and luggage, way in excess of what any police bike would ever have. I fail to see how comparisons or criticisms of a police spec bike versus a standard road going bike are remotely relevant.

I have no idea what the requirements of a blood bike are but I would bet lots of money that the FJR more than surpasses most other bikes. It's by far the most reliable bike I've ever owned, it's powerful, it's stable, the brakes are superb, it's shaft driven, it offers excellent weather protection and it will carry massive loads over ridiculous distances at speed and in comfort. It may incur higher running costs than a Strom but cheap isn't everything. How much blood do they have to carry anyway?

As for corners being cut - everything that's manufactured is there to make a profit. It's much harder to see where corners have been cut on my 8 year old FJR than it is my 8 month old V-Strom.

V-stroms  good in "inclement" weather? What kind of "inclement" weather are you riding in? There is no fairing, the screen would offer weather protection if you were the size of a small mouse and the front wheel sprays rain directly onto  feet. If the passenger is any better off it's purely because the rider soaks up all the rain. I love my V-Strom but a bike for doing big miles in torrential rain it most certainly isn't. If my life depended on blood being delivered in terrible weather the V-Strom wouldn't be the bike I'd choose for the rider.

I'm not trying to slag off V-Stroms, I've done more miles on mine this year than I have on my FJR but I am replying to what I see as some ill informed comment :shock:

Offline imindoors

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 21:05:05 »
No doubt the FJR is a great bike, beautiful power, good weather protection and great brakes, but my aging hips don't find it comfortable and it is heavy to push around. The stuff we transport weighs very little, and we don't tend to do big mileages in one go, more like multiple 40-50 mile journeys on a shift, although cross country relays do happen.

We are lucky that we have a choice in Swansea, as they are paid for by donations, and we deliberately run two different bike types  so we can match the bike to the job.

Personally I prefer a middleweight, previous to my vstrom I ran a blackbird for 3 years, and I'm much more at home on the vstrom. Lighter, cheaper, better vision and more comfortable.

Offline imindoors

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 21:15:55 »
Having said all that I also run this....but I do so with my heart and not my head