Author Topic: Oxford Stormex Cover Sizing  (Read 1555 times)

Offline bluepoolshark

• Bike: DL650GT K8
Oxford Stormex Cover Sizing
« on: October 06, 2017, 16:40:59 »
I've been using a large Oxford rainex with top box cover and fed up with how quickly they become useless and crack everywhere so looking to up grade to the dearer Stormex or possibly even the protex stretch, assume I would be best to order an XL sized one for a 650 with a top box?

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
  • Bike: DL650A L5
Re: Oxford Stormex Cover Sizing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 17:27:26 »
I've just received the XL new version for my birthday this week, having used the XL old version for a year (which was not big enough for a top box).

going to try and fit it this weekend, I'll let you know how I get on with and without top box panniers etc...

Offline bluepoolshark

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 22:27:19 »
Excellent, that would be great! :)

Offline Stonec0ld

• I was Paul_Nicholson
  • Bike: DL650A L5
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 11:40:50 »
OK so first impressions. The new version of the cover is a lot thinner than the old version, but still seems well made with pockets for padlocks and my solar charger. It's also more of a fitted design.

Once I tried getting it on the bike I also noticed it's a fair bit smaller then the old style. The old on was more like a big bag, which was just about big enough on the length, but was baggy around the sides which meant I could leave my panniers on if I wanted. It also meant that it would billow around in the wind, even with the clip at the bottom on the tightest setting.

The new one is a lot slimmer and also feels a bit shorter. I can tighten the clip so it's snug at the bottom, but the front doesn't sit right. It's designed more for bikes with fairing mounted mirrors,  so when you've got the steering lock on the front is a bit off. There's also no way you can keep the panniers or top box on, at least not if you want to keep the chain covered.

I've attached some pics of the old cover, and new cover with the top box (Givi 47NN) and then without.

Offline bluepoolshark

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 16:03:13 »
Thanks for the pics, looks a very decent fit without the top box on. Think I will get one ordered ????