Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Introductions / Re: Greetings from Poland!
« Last post by gspy4u on Today at 03:32:57 »
Welcome aboard  Konrad
V-Strom specific discussion / Re: Lowering
« Last post by greywolf on Today at 01:01:02 »
Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, here are a couple of examples of shock travel limiters that will allow lowering more than 28mm without the tyre hitting the mudguard.

If you mean adding a spacer on the shaft internal to the shock body, that will lower the bike but it will not prevent the tyre from hitting the mudguard. It also cannot be done to the stock shock.
« Last post by greywolf on October 18, 2017, 23:01:03 »
Adding a spacer to limit shock compression does not lower the bike. It just limits the travel. The seat height needs to be lowered by using longer dog bone links and then a spacer to limit shock compression can be added. The only thing it does is to prevent the tyre from hitting the mudguard. It has no effect on handling otherwise. A shock with a spacer acts just like a shock without a spacer except for the spacer restricting how far the shock can compress.
« Last post by Angustoyou on October 18, 2017, 22:44:38 »
Preload is adjustable to get the correct sag values.  If the suspension is set correctly and it's too tall still, increasing sag by reducing preload will sit the bike lower on its suspension and increase the chance of repeated bottoming and can give poor handling such as wallowing and weaving as well as reducing ground clearance.  Lowering the bike with an internal shock spacer reduces travel and lowers the seat height and ground clearance but avoids the poor handling. 

There's not much travel to go at unfortunately on the strom, if it can be done at all, but it was hugely effective on my CCM404.

I feel the pain as a fellow short arse with a 29" inside leg, but live with it rather than compromise the already basic suspension.  The seat/frame width is the issue.   Although my CCM measures a good 4" taller from the floor to the top of my seat, I'm actually closer to getting both feet flat on the floor on that.  It does have more sag of course, as even reduced the overall travel is much longer, but it is way narrower.

The seat base doesn't lend itself to trimming the foam down either, so there's not much in the way of choice of method, certainly nothing I've been able to come up with.   :shrug:

The Blue Oyster bar / Re: Car discs & pads
« Last post by tallpaul on October 18, 2017, 22:38:21 »
I put Mintex discs and pads on my Skoda 2 years ago. Much better than the discs and pads from the factory and are wearing well.
« Last post by Barbel Mick on October 18, 2017, 22:07:49 »
Thanks for the help gents.  :thumb:
Carparts4less  seem to be a good bit cheaper than ECP with free delivery as well. Will have a look for a discount code as well. (They don't all live in Yorkshire!! :icon_wink:)
Video Clips / Re: stafford bike show 2017 start up
« Last post by Barbel Mick on October 18, 2017, 21:54:45 »
 :thumb: some good noises coming from those bikes on the day Steve. We went back for a second 'listen' in the afternoon!!  :icon_wink:
« Last post by hookie on October 18, 2017, 21:09:27 »
I recently had to fit new pads and rear shoes to my Mitsubishi and bought some Delphi stuff. They seem to be fine and are guaranteed for 30,000 miles and were very well priced (about 28 for the whole lot). I think that they're made by Lockheed which should indicate the quality is OK.
« Last post by DLste on October 18, 2017, 20:32:58 »
Mintex or Bosch from euro car parts I know it says euro but still do for the Astra, my son had a Astra with Mintex disc with Lucas Pads :thumb:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-ASTRA-MK4-MK5-REAR-BRAKE-PADS-LUCAS-TYPE-CALIPERS-ONLY-/352076297285?epid=1726309736&hash=item51f961f445:g:f8IAAMXQ1ZhThdx8
Video Clips / stafford bike show 2017 start up
« Last post by DLste on October 18, 2017, 20:12:06 »
Here is a clip of one bike starting up turn up the sound to hear the pipe. :thumb:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10